U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 10:30 AM

4 posts, read 70,549 times

Advertisements

I am going to be relocating to the area from New England. What are some of the pros and cons of living in Norfolk vs. Chesapeake. I am single in my late 30's and I don't have any kids. I am looking for an affordable but, safe area in either Norfolk or Chesapeake. Does anyone have insight on the pros and cons vs these respective places?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 09:25 PM

1,673 posts, read 5,525,089 times
Since no one has answered I thought I might give it a shot. Some pros of living in Norfolk are: urban living (if you like true urban living though downtown is small compared to most cities), The Tide (although just a starter light rail line there are several stops in the city), historic value (parts of Freemason and the Ghent area are very nice). I am sure there are other nice things but right now my foggy brain can't think of anything else. Cons - the city floods easily so depending where you live you may be subject to them particularly downtown areas, if you buy a home real estate taxes are higher than most neighboring cities, retail is spotty though MacArthur Mall is located downtown, there is more crime in Norfolk than any neighboring suburban city, schools are iffy depending on where you live. These are just a few things to consider.

Chesapeake - Pros and cons - Chesapeake is suburban and much newer- boomed in the 90s, quite safe, very good schools, lower real estate taxes, pretty good retail amenities, you must drive everywhere to get around, quite a few companies (including international ones) have set up shop in Chesapeake.

This is about all I can come up right now but perhaps others might chime in as well. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Since no one has answered I thought I might give it a shot. Some pros of living in Norfolk are: urban living (if you like true urban living though downtown is small compared to most cities), The Tide (although just a starter light rail line there are several stops in the city), historic value (parts of Freemason and the Ghent area are very nice). I am sure there are other nice things but right now my foggy brain can't think of anything else. Cons - the city floods easily so depending where you live you may be subject to them particularly downtown areas, if you buy a home real estate taxes are higher than most neighboring cities, retail is spotty though MacArthur Mall is located downtown, there is more crime in Norfolk than any neighboring suburban city, schools are iffy depending on where you live. These are just a few things to consider.

Chesapeake - Pros and cons - Chesapeake is suburban and much newer- boomed in the 90s, quite safe, very good schools, lower real estate taxes, pretty good retail amenities, you must drive everywhere to get around, quite a few companies (including international ones) have set up shop in Chesapeake.

This is about all I can come up right now but perhaps others might chime in as well. Good luck!
Thanks for getting back to me. Do you have any neighborhood suggestions for Chesapeake?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 PM

1,673 posts, read 5,525,089 times
I don't know Chesapeake well enough to suggest. The Greenbrier area is popular and is centrally located. Perhaps others could suggest particular neighborhoods.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 AM

179 posts, read 410,723 times
What are you looking for? Chesapeake can range from quite rural to newer suburban subdivisions. Are you looking to buy, rent, single family home, or apartment?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:35 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,006,071 times
Let me preface by saying that I love Norfolk in general, and really don't care for Chesapeake.

Norfolk Pros:
-Established, urban, historical neighborhoods (lots of character) with good walkability and relative affordability.
-The region's center city, so very well connected to other areas.
-Lots of good cultural amenities (museums, theatres, locally owned restaurants, etc)
-Entertainment options (Colley Ave, Granby St, Scope, Norva, Harbor Park)
-Probably the most diverse city in the region (economically and ethnically).
-The city is growing, with projects like light rail and the redevelopment of Waterside.
-ODU is arguably the regions top university (excluding W&M).
-May be a con to some, but I love that Norfolk's neighborhoods, good or bad, often sit cheek-by-jowl. It means that it's hard to avoid one type of neighborhood and gives the city a certain vibe not felt in other HR cities. Norfolk is Norfolk, and the people are mostly down to earth and genuine, whether they live in Larchmont or Huntersville. And since neighborhoods are so well connected, you experience all types on a regular basis, giving you a real feel for the city and its unique vibe.

Norfolk Cons:
-Public schools are like most inner-city schools: some are pretty rough.
-It has its share of crime. Though not extreme in general, some spots can be unsafe.
-Some roads need a lot of work.

Can't really think of anymore cons. I'm sure someone who hates Norfolk can list lots more wrong with the city, so I'll let them have a chance to vent.

Chesapeake Pros:
-Suburban/rural for people who prefer that lifestyle.
-Generally safe (excluding some spots in the South Norfolk area).

Chesapeake Cons:
-Traffic. Especially in Greenbrier. I can't stand that area.
-Nothing really there. There's no reason for me to ever go to Chesapeake unless someone lives there or I'm driving through. I don't live in HR anymore, but when I did everything I needed or wanted was in Norfolk and VB. I'd sometimes go to Portsmouth for the Bier Garden and when I had class at TCC's Visual Arts Center. Never had much of a reason to go to Chesapeake though.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnay View Post
What are you looking for? Chesapeake can range from quite rural to newer suburban subdivisions. Are you looking to buy, rent, single family home, or apartment?
I am looking to rent an apartment for now.Alas, Norfolk seems like it is the more "hoppin''" of the two cities. But, I don't want to end up living in the 'hood as a single woman.

Safety is a concern for me, so I am leaning towards Chesapeake.

But, I am worried that living in Chesapeake is going to make it more difficult to meet people, especially as it pertains to dating.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 25,629 times
If your a single female looking to rent, both areas have decent options. Chesapeake is more family oriented with it's fair share of rentals. Norfolk is the center for arts and culture, and has lots of apartments, especially in Ghent which is it's "hippest" area. Many of these are older however. Like any older hipster spot you can be in a safe fun area but just blocks from a ghetto. One thing to remember is that these two cities are 10-15 minutes from each other depending on where you may wind up in them.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:59 PM

179 posts, read 410,723 times
Chesapeake is a safe burb type town. If you are looking to rent there are some very nice complexes that would put you near most types of shopping. The one nice thing living here in Chesapeake is I can be in downtown Norfolk in 15 min or so. This makes the options for dining and other activities easy to get to. You are not going to find a hopping night life here..... but it is near enough to Norfolk and Virginia Beach that finding fun things to do isn't hard.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 24,800 times
I was bored to tears in Chesapeake. If I was single I would get a cute apartment in Ghent or Downtown. Norfolk is as safe as any other city, just be smart and avoid dark alleys. I was a delivery driver in Norfolk and I never felt worried for my safety. I also got to see the really charming areas they have if you have a little money. If you want something more affordable, student apartments near ODU might be fun. But you get what you pay for and you have to pick the right area, i.e. closer to Ghent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or