Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 AM

72 posts, read 231,829 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Hampton Roads area the end of this year. I am so confused as to what is the best city/town for us. We will make a trip out there a month prior, but narrowing an area down now would be helpful.

We will be there about 2 years, so plan to rent. Our rental range would be $2000 to $2600 per month.

We are looking for the following:
- nice, upscale area with shops, preferably an outdoor shopping mall
- clean, safe environment
- good elementary school and preschool
- things for kids to do in the area, beaches/playgrounds/pools
- within an 60 min commute to Langley AFB. (My husband is willing to deal with a rough commute, since will be less than 2 years there)

If anyone can help, it would be awesome! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 12:10 PM

358 posts, read 709,220 times
Easy. Focus on Kiln Creek. Menchville. Yorktown.

There is no way you should need to live more than 8 or maybe 10 miles from base.

Why not shoot for better than a 60 min commute? He'll be faced with it 10 times in a week.

HR is a very difficult place to drive in. Worst place I've ever been stationed as far as that goes. Too many lights...The lights are sync'd wrong. You'll see what I mean once you get down there. Just driving a few miles on a Saturday afternoon can be painful.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:45 PM

That's fine as long as those areas are as nice as areas further away. I knew I would get that response He will likely be TDY for a good majority of his time there. So, forget I mentioned he is at Langley. Now where?

Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 PM

154 posts, read 387,538 times
I agree with the other posters, you really should live on the Peninsula for the sake of his commute when he is home. Newport News has some nice neighborhoods, which were listed above. York County is probably nicer, but pricier. You can do your upscale shopping in Norfolk on weekends. Both Newport News and Hampton have nice new shopping areas (City Center at Oyster Point and Peninsula Town Center) so you may not even need to go to Norfolk or Virginia Beach much. I do have to say that Patrick Henry is not the best mall, but you may not need to go there much.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,301,235 times
I would go with the Newport News or Williamsburg area. Probably Williamsburg.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:33 AM

41 posts, read 149,936 times
Look at York County, Poquoson, and Williamsburg. Maybe Newport News (Kiln Creek) depending on the quality of the elementary schools.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:56 AM

368 posts, read 993,798 times
Well, if we could live anywhere in the area, we'd choose Virginia Beach (for the obvious reason that we'd love to be near the beach). Personally, we'd choose the Sandbridge area, but as others have said, the commute to Langley would be truly awful.

There are nice areas on this side of the tunnel that would be easier on your husband. If you want to be nearer to amenities (like museums, restaurants, playgrounds, etc.) I would choose the midtown area of Newport News (near CNU). There are some really nice neighborhoods, and you would be really close to the Peninsula Fine Arts Center, the Mariner's Museum, the Virginia Living Museum, the Ferguson Center, the Noland Trail, and Riverview Farm Park.

There are other nice areas (W'burg, Yorktown, Poquoson). All are nice and equally family friendly, but, when we lived In Yorktown, we got tired of driving into NN for things to do. Kiln Creek (as others have mentioned) is a nice area and keeps you close(r) to attractions.

Good luck on your move!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 AM

9 posts, read 18,599 times
I agree with artista at heart above...my boyfriend works at langley and I have been spending time up there for the past year. I am moving up there this summer and I have checked out and dealt with the traffic and the neighborhoods and driven around quite a bit thanks to recommendations posted on this site. I have seen the areas myself and I have lived in many different places in the US and abroad. This area truly has the worst traffic and drivers I have yet to see, and I thought they were bad in North Carolina when I moved here. All the tunnels and bridges become headaches, not to mention the traffic patterns as mentioned. There are nice places much closer to the base than an hour away. Langley is not typical AF base where they are an hour away from anything nice... You can use this site and the new york times map mentioned in another post here to see the pockets of areas to stay away from on a street level and combined with posters on this website I have a much better idea of where to go (plus I have been seeing all the areas in person the past year). I have two teenagers and High School is a serious time to move...so I have to be even more cautious than when they were just in elementary school.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 AM

9 posts, read 18,599 times
About Poquson, its is a very safe place, very homogenous, but a small town feel. You mentioned wanting to be close to shopping ect. For me, Poquoson would not be the area to be if you want to be closer to everything. If you don't mind driving (and with traffic up there, its not the same as hopping on the highway and ending up where you want to be) then it would be a good place. I really liked the menchville area because they are close to the water for activities like fishing and kayaking, and also they have a big park with 4 miles of walking/biking/jogging trails and an awsome (totally great) park for little toddlers ect within it. Shopping is all close too...and if you wanted uber high end shopping you could go to norfolk like someone mentioned. I like that everything I want and need is close by Menchville...last year I was set on York county for schools ect but now I have seen it is not the only option.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:57 AM

Thanks. This is very helpful. Williamsburg is intriguing because of the Busch Gardens for the kids. How is that town in terms of safety, shopping, schools? And, how about the commute to Langley and to the beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area