Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,408,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
I never even considered that but it does solve a lot of the concerns that VB residents seem to have about high crime Norfolk/Portsmouth areas getting subsidized rides to their neck of the woods. (I say Portsmouth too because you can take the ferry over and hop on the train pretty easily, I do the reverse to go to High St pretty regularly).

It is a little disappointing, in terms of HR as a whole, to think that it wouldn't connect but you are right, the cities are large and populous by themselves.

The Oceanfront, through Hilltop, past Oceana, past Lynnhaven, and across to Town Center would be really nice. Most tourists visit Town center and Hilltop already according to the data I have seen. Lets get them off the roads so that we can get where we need to go and they can enjoy their leisure time. And for the residents that live on/near that corridor, it would instantly transform VB into an area where you can live/work/shop/play without the direct need for a vehicle (assuming you had a job near the line somewhere).
This is not unique to HR. I don't doubt that it is disappointing but to be totally honest, every city has the same issues. Check out the Atlanta fourms. There are plenty of conversations there about the struggles the city is having in routing their metro into suburbia. You will find the same thing in the LA fourms as well.

Another thing to consider is that in the case of a city like NY, the only rail in the suburbs is Amtrak, or something like Amtrak (the Path in NJ) for example. The subway that runs throughout the boroughs is not the same system that leaves the city and goes outside of the metro area.

The only thing that differentiates metro areas like those aforementioned cities from HR is that in our case, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, and parts of Suffolk are our suburban areas. You also have the counties that surround HR, which would be considered our exurbs. So the idea that someone from the inner city would bring crime into the suburbs and exurbs is nothing new. Detroit is about the absolute worst, most textbook case, of this ideology. At least HR does not have an all Black inner city followed by all White suburbs and exurbs. We have poor, working class and rich people, of all races, in each of the seven cities, which is a great thing because you do not find that across America.

It might be more feasible, or more realistic, for Norfolk and Portsmouth to work together on The Tide than for Virginia Beach and Chesapeake to work along with Norfolk, for obvious reasons. People in Virginia Beach would like to see The Tide, but they don't really need The Tide. In Virginia Beach, if you don't have a car, its your problem. The same goes for Chesapeake. Norfolk might have some success getting The Tide into South Norfolk though, as it could help to revitalize the area, but Greenbrier, Deep Creek, Hickory, etc. I doubt we'll see anything there soon because people in those areas do not really need public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,611,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
This is not unique to HR. I don't doubt that it is disappointing but to be totally honest, every city has the same issues. Check out the Atlanta fourms. There are plenty of conversations there about the struggles the city is having in routing their metro into suburbia. You will find the same thing in the LA fourms as well.

Another thing to consider is that in the case of a city like NY, the only rail in the suburbs is Amtrak, or something like Amtrak (the Path in NJ) for example. The subway that runs throughout the boroughs is not the same system that leaves the city and goes outside of the metro area.

The only thing that differentiates metro areas like those aforementioned cities from HR is that in our case, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, and parts of Suffolk are our suburban areas. You also have the counties that surround HR, which would be considered our exurbs. So the idea that someone from the inner city would bring crime into the suburbs and exurbs is nothing new. Detroit is about the absolute worst, most textbook case, of this ideology. At least HR does not have an all Black inner city followed by all White suburbs and exurbs. We have poor, working class and rich people, of all races, in each of the seven cities, which is a great thing because you do not find that across America.

It might be more feasible, or more realistic, for Norfolk and Portsmouth to work together on The Tide than for Virginia Beach and Chesapeake to work along with Norfolk, for obvious reasons. People in Virginia Beach would like to see The Tide, but they don't really need The Tide. In Virginia Beach, if you don't have a car, its your problem. The same goes for Chesapeake. Norfolk might have some success getting The Tide into South Norfolk though, as it could help to revitalize the area, but Greenbrier, Deep Creek, Hickory, etc. I doubt we'll see anything there soon because people in those areas do not really need public transportation.
You are right, HR is very egalitarian in general. Not a lot of super rich and not a lot of super poor. And there is a large middle class that stretches across all races/ethnicities that live here. There is disparity, of course, but not nearly as bad as most cities. That is one of my favorite things about the area.

I guess the idea of Amtrak coming to Harbor Park (and the potential for high speed rail down the road) is the only real solid reason I see for connecting to Norfolk. For anything else I could just drive to Downtown Norfolk or drive to the Newtown Rd Tide Station (tides/admirals game, concert, play). It is more that I want the area, or at least the southside, to be more cooperative.

VB, with a little bit of higher density development around the core, can be a great city on its own for sure. I think it is 90% there already. You have the beach, the bay, the base, town center, hilltop, great rec centers, good schools, etc... A lot of "lists" on the internet seem to agree with that assertion because VB is regularly in the top ten places for growing up, raising kids, being active and so forth. We just need a bit of economic diversification.

I am really curious to see how this shakes out over the next few months. People are definitely talking about it a lot, I expect a lot of interesting debate coming up to the November ballot.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
You are right, HR is very egalitarian in general. Not a lot of super rich and not a lot of super poor. And there is a large middle class that stretches across all races/ethnicities that live here. There is disparity, of course, but not nearly as bad as most cities. That is one of my favorite things about the area.

I guess the idea of Amtrak coming to Harbor Park (and the potential for high speed rail down the road) is the only real solid reason I see for connecting to Norfolk. For anything else I could just drive to Downtown Norfolk or drive to the Newtown Rd Tide Station (tides/admirals game, concert, play). It is more that I want the area, or at least the southside, to be more cooperative.

VB, with a little bit of higher density development around the core, can be a great city on its own for sure. I think it is 90% there already. You have the beach, the bay, the base, town center, hilltop, great rec centers, good schools, etc... A lot of "lists" on the internet seem to agree with that assertion because VB is regularly in the top ten places for growing up, raising kids, being active and so forth. We just need a bit of economic diversification.

I am really curious to see how this shakes out over the next few months. People are definitely talking about it a lot, I expect a lot of interesting debate coming up to the November ballot.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:25 PM

1,791 posts, read 6,499,422 times
I guess I am the exception but I can't see the Beach building their own line without connecting to Norfolk. Folks in downtown Norfolk would love to be able to take the Tide to Town Center, Hilltop or the Oceanfront. Look at the Metro in DC as good example of a train that goes in several cities and now they are even building a line to the Dulles corridor.

Last edited by citydweller; 05-30-2012 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,784,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post

The PATH services Urban Jersey and does not go into the Suburban , however the current and future LRT network in NJ connects the cities with the Dense suburbs. The Regional Rail connects everything , the Urban areas , Dense Suburban and rural areas of NJ , NY and CT....Amtrak does the Major towns and cities.

Current & Future NJT and MNRR Regional Rail...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...aded56a9&msa=0

Old 05-31-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I guess I am the exception but I can't see the Beach building their own line without connecting to Norfolk. Folks in downtown Norfolk would love to be able to take the Tide to Town Center, Hilltop or the Oceanfront. Look at the Metro in DC as good example of a train that goes in several cities and now they are even building a line to the Dulles corridor.
It is the politically correct thing to do. One of the contradictions of HR is that it wants the image of working together but in reality each city is left to its own devices and is off doing its own thing, but I don't think that really says anything about HR there are similar metropolitan areas where the same is the rule, not the exception. Norfolk is its own city; if the Beach can't agree with Norfolk and HRT on the fine print they should go ahead with their own system. Ideally, it would connect to Norfolk but progress is progress. Whether or not it connects to Norfolk it would be better to have a system in place than none at all.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The PATH services Urban Jersey and does not go into the Suburban , however the current and future LRT network in NJ connects the cities with the Dense suburbs. The Regional Rail connects everything , the Urban areas , Dense Suburban and rural areas of NJ , NY and CT....Amtrak does the Major towns and cities.

Current & Future NJT and MNRR Regional Rail...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...aded56a9&msa=0
Thanks for clarifying this for me, because it is a bit confusing. There would be nothing wrong with having multiple systems here, and using Amtrak as well. You have multiple options for getting around by rail, which should be the case here especially considering the enormous footprint HR leaves on this part of Virginia. I did ride the PATH though from Newark into NYC. We need that type of system around here. I guess the equivalent will be the Amtrak running from DC to Norfolk. These two areas need to be connected; at this point a better connection from here to Richmond would be progress.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,995,366 times
If it passes, how long do you think it would be before this system is built?

Old 06-07-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If it passes, how long do you think it would be before this system is built?
Could be a few years. Norfolk did not start building right away. There were surveys, a lot of planning, a lot of studies.

Only advantage to the situation in VB would be that these are being done already. In Norfolk, it was not a matter of it, but when. In VB, it is not as though they do not know what the ins and outs will be, but whether or not citizens support it.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:46 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,937,863 times
Has there been any polling done about this recently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area