U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 14,886,656 times
Default What do they do with the farm animals in Colonial Williamsburg during a storm?

I'm curious about all the farm animals in Colonial Williamsburg, since the property is in the central part of town. What do they do with the animals during a storm? Have they ever escaped and been found wandering into the neighborhoods (I can picture a few sheep poking their heads into open mic night at Aromas....) Do the locals know the animals by name and think of them as local pets (or pests, maybe?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 AM

6,881 posts, read 6,685,318 times
That's a good question. But many of them are rare breeds, and quite valuable. So, I think the keepers would keep them corralled.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 AM

I don't recall seeing modern animal pens, but surely they must have something for them, especially during bad storms like Hurricane Irene.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,355,044 times
This does not answer the OPs question, but it provides some info.

Coach and Livestock : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History Site

I suspect you can email this department & someone there can answer the question.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 AM

By the way, here are a few shots of the local critters. Seeing them is my favorite part of "walking the D.O.G." I can just imagine how ridiculously cute it was when all the lambs were born and gamboling about.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 PM

795 posts, read 549,206 times
There's certainly no need for a zoo when you live in Williamsburg with small kids. They seem to reserve certain paddocks for certain animals - you'll never see sheep in that field between B&N and Matthew Whaley, for example, they are either over behind the enslaved church or on that back street with the stone fence. The animals are put in barns at night, and during snowy weather. One of the guys building the new foundry was telling me one day that although colonial style buildings are a lot heavier than modern buildings they still have to obey laws like bolting them to their foundations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area