U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:55 PM

18,717 posts, read 15,628,661 times

Advertisements

Just reading in the VA Gazette about multimillionaire Halsey Minor. Yikes, what a jerk! So today he is at the top of my list of local millionaires I love to hate. Of course that may be because I don't know of any others... yet.

So who else should be on my list? Any other terrible tycoons in the HR area?

What did Minor do, you may ask. Well, he bought a historic mansion from Colonial Williamsburg and then left it to rot. Ohhhhhh, that puts you on Santa's naughty list for sure. Apparently he had a real problem with bankruptcies and buying luxury goods only to lose in interest in them--but why do that with a historic property. You can replace a luxury jet if you let it fall into disrepair, but you can't really replace history. Plus, the mansion is now in such bad shape it may have an explosion. How stupid is it to let something get to that point!

So don't buy something like that unless you intend to take proper care of it. I just hope it isn't too late to save the place. Anyway, that's my two cents, and now who else shall we place on this list?

More on this: Court hears of problems at Carter's Grove mansion | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 PM

3,249 posts, read 4,185,351 times
I had never heard of him.

Not too many millionaires in HR. Certainly no big, big names unless you count the part timers like Missy Elliot or Pharrell. (Pharrell might be full time, I'm not sure.)

Maybe Pat Robertson is a millionaire. I would think so. He's a dried up old hack. I wouldn't say I love to hate him. I feel bad for how he bilks his minions out of money.

Other than those, like I said, not many in HR. The area isn't conducive to millionaires. There's no weather draw, no big city draw, no specialized industry draw. Just a bunch of us working stiffs!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:44 AM

991 posts, read 1,080,756 times
We have a few billionaires in the area actually, and a fair amount of multi-millionaires.

Virginia Business - News: The Virginia 100

Yes, Pat Robertson is a millionaire and does a lot more than just bilk money from his minions, he also owns a company called Earth Friendly Chemicals and is the President of a University.

I can't really think of any Mr Burns from the Simpsons kind of terrible tycoons though.

Sweetpea Whittaker, the boxer, lived over in Bellamy Woods in Virginia Beach (not sure if he still does) and I remember him having some incidents with the kids around there. And of course there was the Michael Vick dog fighting ring in Chesapeake. The only rich folks around here that seem to make news are rich athletes/ex-athletes and musicians acting up, the smart ones seem to stay under the radar and go about their business.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,628,661 times
Oh right, Michael Vick. Well, he seems to have changed his ways so I don't hate him anymore. Although I do hold a sliver of a grudge for giving Chesapeake somewhat of a black eye.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,328,869 times
The dog fighting location was in Surry. Its now a dog rescue center

Old 05-24-2012, 09:37 AM

991 posts, read 1,080,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
The dog fighting location was in Surry. Its now a dog rescue center
Yeah, I guess it was Smithfield. I don't know why I thought it was in Chesapeake. my bad.

A Look Inside Vick's Dogfighting House | www.wsbtv.com

Old 05-24-2012, 03:07 PM

402 posts, read 543,394 times
I think Pat Robertson takes the cake as far as local millionaires you love to hate. I've heard numerous stories about how shady he is in person. I think his strong views also automatically make him a disliked person. Pat Robertson is probably the millionaire with the most influence in hampton roads.

Then you also have your local sports stars and music artists. They're rich but I don't believe they have much influence or clout over the local community, maybe over young kids.

I've always wondered who is the owner of Plaza Azteca, that dude must be pretty well off. To have a Plaza in almost every neighborhood in every city of Hampton Roads is pretty big.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,644,119 times
You have allot of local millionaires in Hampton Roads today, heck unless you have 25-50 million or more you don't even get noticed..... It's not like it was 20 years ago when a million bucks really meant something. Today it's all about billionaires.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:41 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,644,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post

I've always wondered who is the owner of Plaza Azteca, that dude must be pretty well off. To have a Plaza in almost every neighborhood in every city of Hampton Roads is pretty big.
The original Plaza Azteca did start here at the beach back in the early 1970's the first restaurant was really nothing more then a small local bar on Rosemont Road. The Plaza part of the name came from the local bar being located in the Princess Anne "Plaza" section of the city. I actually worked there when I was 15-16 years old.....showing my age now....lol. It has grown into a Nationwide chain with restaurants all over the country. Like most chain restaurants they are all independently owned but one owner may own several of the restaurants under a certain franchised location.

Last edited by rtandc; 05-24-2012 at 04:50 PM..

Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 PM

71 posts, read 66,746 times
There are several millionaires on the Peninsula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area