Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 PM

120 posts, read 210,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I actually moved here from Dayton, OH. You might like it. It is a very large area, in comparison to Dayton. Think the distance from Dayton, OH all the way out to Cincinnati, then a large body of water, then the same distance all over again until you get to the ocean.

But it is a family friendly type of place. If you're looking for trouble, you might want to stick with New Jersey or Maryland. Not that there isn't trouble here, but you have to go out of your way ...

There are areas here that have a lot in common with places like Dayton though. Check out Portsmouth and Norfolk, they are a lot in common with the look and feel of Dayton, and aren't that far from Virginia Beach.
I spent nearly 20 years of my life in Dayton. That is a God-forsaken city. There are definitely similarities with Portsmouth and downtown Dayton. The suburbs of Dayton are far superior to Portsmouth though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
I spent nearly 20 years of my life in Dayton. That is a God-forsaken city. There are definitely similarities with Portsmouth and downtown Dayton. The suburbs of Dayton are far superior to Portsmouth though.
Yeah Dayton sucks. And it's not really that small of a town either. How did you make it 20 years in that place? Ten was long enough for me. Come to think of it, had my situation been a lot better I would probably still be there. I though Columbus was the promised land back then. I heard Columbus is a pretty boring though. Has to be better than Dayton ...

Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Oh, i wouldn't go to Virginia Beach unless you don't like talking/listening to others. The sounds of the jets taking off/landing at the airbase not too far away is deafening - and I'm severely hearing impaired and wear 2 aids. Not in VB. I had to keep turning them off. We left after one day of our 3 day stay.

If you want a fun beach for 22 year olds, go to NJ, either AC or Wildwood

Old 06-25-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Oh, i wouldn't go to Virginia Beach unless you don't like talking/listening to others. The sounds of the jets taking off/landing at the airbase not too far away is deafening - and I'm severely hearing impaired and wear 2 aids. Not in VB. I had to keep turning them off. We left after one day of our 3 day stay.

If you want a fun beach for 22 year olds, go to NJ, either AC or Wildwood
Virginia Beach is pretty big though. There are six other cities where you do not have to contend with the Air Force. I never had that problem at the beach. There are also other beaches tourists never visit in Hampton and Norfolk that are a lot smaller and more intimate. The Oceanfront is okay if you want your typical tourist/beach experience but you have to pay for parking and there is a lot going on.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:16 PM

120 posts, read 210,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Yeah Dayton sucks. And it's not really that small of a town either. How did you make it 20 years in that place? Ten was long enough for me. Come to think of it, had my situation been a lot better I would probably still be there. I though Columbus was the promised land back then. I heard Columbus is a pretty boring though. Has to be better than Dayton ...
Well I was young so I didn't really have the opportunity to move from Dayton. I spent the last 10 years in Columbus though, which there just is no comparison to Dayton. I would gladly move back to Columbus in a heart beat. There's a vibrant art community, huge university (I am an alum), decent amount of good non-chain restaurants, etc. It's a great place for young professionals. The only thing this area has over Columbus is the beach, which I don't care much for.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
Well I was young so I didn't really have the opportunity to move from Dayton. I spent the last 10 years in Columbus though, which there just is no comparison to Dayton. I would gladly move back to Columbus in a heart beat. There's a vibrant art community, huge university (I am an alum), decent amount of good non-chain restaurants, etc. It's a great place for young professionals. The only thing this area has over Columbus is the beach, which I don't care much for.
The beach loses its novelty quick. There are beaches in Ohio. Cleveland needs to do a lot more with their lakefront though. The only thing this place has over the beaches there is the tourism and the fact that the beach is on the Ocean. Beaches in Ohio are usually some lake/river/stream somewhere.

What I thought about Columbus. I don't know if I want to move back to the Midwest; it has crossed my mind, as its a lot cheaper, down to earth, working class than the East Coast. Disparity between rich and poor is terrible on the Coast. This place things are bit more evened out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area