Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:10 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
I think this was my biggest disappointment when I moved here. I was surprised to learn that a city as spread out as VB didn't have bus routes all over the city. Each time I've lived somewhere new, I've used city buses to learn the different areas. Not here. And the few routes that do exist have very inconvenient times.
I'm with you. I do the same thing in new places because it is a fantastic way to get a lay of the land, but also to see the locals and the way they live. Virginia Beach has a long way to go in this department, but Norfolk is improving. It's a shame more people don't understand how important a service public transit is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
The issue of slow, congested traffic seems to come up often in the threads on this sub-forum.

My question is: Would someone that's experienced New York City/ Westchester traffic consider it bad in the Hampton Roads area? Or is it bad for, say, the guy coming the back roads of Montana? I've also experienced Los Angeles traffic, which I thought made New York City traffic seem like child's play . Is it like L.A. traffic? Experienced metro DC traffic briefly (during a 6 week work assignment) and that sucked big time as well (Gaithersburg into DC at rush hour each day). Is the traffic in Hampton Roads similar to DC metro traffic?

Put it in relative terms for me so I can understand how bad the traffic really is
In relative terms we probably have wider roads than you have in New York City. Westchester I don't know; do you have 12 lane roads up there?

I have never been on the back roads of Montana? What are they like?

I moved here from Ohio. Traffic is only bad during rush hour up there. Even then it is only your larger cities, like Cleveland, Columbus, or Cincinnati you have real problems. That is the closest I have come to the traffic problems here.

If New York City traffic is worse then LA traffic, it is probably because LA has a newer road system. New York still has 6 lane expressways. There is no place to build new roads, and they aren't about to use eminent domain for the sake of building a road. Well perhaps in Westchester, but not in the city core. Between the tunnels, expressways and bridges, plus the cost of parking a car and storing a car I would not want any parts of New York. It looks a lot of fun when the traffic is moving, very scenic, but I would not want to spend 4 hours to get from one part of the city to the next. Not to mention the fact that traffic in New Jersey and Philadelphia isn't necessarily that much better.

Hampton Roads does not have the throughput into the metro area though. We have a dinky 4 lane road that comes into this place. In New York that is more like 12, 14 lanes, with dedicated lanes for trucks which is something they should have here. That goes on for like several hours before you actually get into the city. There is nothing of the sort welcoming you into Hampton Roads, and probably never will be anytime soon. Not that I miss that sort of thing because that just means it is going to be hours to get into the city. In HR I never had to wait more than an hour to get into the city (when I was only 5 minutes outside of the metro).

Traffic in Hampton Roads has nothing on DC/Northern Virginia/Maryland traffic, do not let anyone tell you differently. I was on the road at midnight on a Friday night and it was still bumper to bumper. Down here it is only bumper to bumper if there is an accident or construction, or of course rush hour. Their 1 AM traffic is our 6 PM traffic, no comparison at all whatsoever. Plus they drive a lot faster than we drive down here. It is nothing for everyone to push everyone else along in excess of 80 MPH. Here you have a few people that drive that fast, but the worst I've seen is a crowd of people going 75 when the speed limit is 55. No one seems to care that much about getting a ticket here, and I don't blame them. Virginia has an endless array of means by which to give you a traffic citation. If you pay attention to all of the laws, all of the time, you'll get rear ended.

You should be okay if you don't mind traffic that much. But it still consumes a good chunk of your life. A decent transportation system could take half of these cars off of the road, but it will never happen in this place. We're should thank God Norfolk has a train and enjoy it for all its worth.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 6,029 times
Traffic is horrible around here especially at the bridges and tunnels like others had mentioned!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 AM

91 posts, read 275,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
The issue of slow, congested traffic seems to come up often in the threads on this sub-forum.

My question is: Would someone that's experienced New York City/ Westchester traffic consider it bad in the Hampton Roads area? Or is it bad for, say, the guy coming the back roads of Montana? I've also experienced Los Angeles traffic, which I thought made New York City traffic seem like child's play . Is it like L.A. traffic? Experienced metro DC traffic briefly (during a 6 week work assignment) and that sucked big time as well (Gaithersburg into DC at rush hour each day). Is the traffic in Hampton Roads similar to DC metro traffic?

Put it in relative terms for me so I can understand how bad the traffic really is
If your from DC/NYC/Boston/Philly... the hampton roads traffic is nothing, childs play. if your from the back roads of montana, it will seem like the world is ending.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 AM

10 posts, read 21,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice6102 View Post
If your from DC/NYC/Boston/Philly... the hampton roads traffic is nothing, childs play. if your from the back roads of montana, it will seem like the world is ending.
Right...I'm from DC and moved out here and people always complaining about the traffic, I'm thinking what traffic. Its really only traffic when somebody have a accident or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area