U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-28-2007, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 6,390 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to Norfolk in early November. My husband is a journalist and will travel around the area, but is based out of Norfolk. I really want to live in a nice neighborhood, and have read good things about Ghent, Larchmont, and Freemason. I have never been to Virginia, and really would like some advice on finding an apartment in those areas.
Does anyone have information on schools in those locations? I have looked at the ratings online, but that doesnt tell you much past testing scores. I would even consider Catholic schools if someone can recommend a good one-elementary level. Any information would be great, but especially on locating an apartment.
Thanks!

Last edited by barbiegirl103; 09-28-2007 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: title wrong
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 07:56 AM

2,124 posts, read 5,766,661 times
The best way is to use Pilot Online and Craigs List. You will probably have the most luck with the Ghent and West Ghent areas for apartments. There is a great catholic school there, and I am drawing a blank, need more coffee : ) I will remember and come back and post.

Shelly

Old 09-28-2007, 08:16 AM

1,277 posts, read 2,652,193 times
Out of the 3 areas you have listed Larchmont is the best, especially the farther you get away from ODU...But there are really no apts in Larchmont to speak of as it is more of an upscale single family neighborhood and the few apts that are in the surrounding area is full of college age kids...(can you say party every night). Ghent is hit and miss, lots and lots of apt buildings tossed in between single family homes etc....Most of the best apts went condo during the last housing buzz..and many are sitting empty for sale right now so you might start seeing them turned back into rentals...some can be nice some not so nice. The biggest draw back you will hear about Ghent is that many places only have on street parking, and parking can very hard to find during certain hours of the day and overnight. In this area your best bet would be to rent a condo via a private owner as most condo's will have off street parking at least for one vehicle per family. When looking in Ghent try and look south of Princess Anne Road or West of Hampton Blvd......Freemason/downtown area might be your best bet, but will also be the most $$$$ per month, you should be able to find a house that was at least turned into a duplex and rent out one side if not a nice condo or townhouse for rent by owner. Just make sure you stay on the west side of the downtown area (that is where all of the new constuction is taking place anyway) as there is low income, high crime housing projects on the east and northeast side of downtown.
Norfolk is not known for very good public schools, They stilll work under the busing type program and send students all over the city so you child/children may pass 2-3 schools to attend another farther away. I would look at a private school if you have the means. There are several in the area depending on your childrens ages. If you do have the means for private school it may be best to take that money and relocate to either Va Beach or Chesapeake where the school system is better unless you just have your heart set on living in Norfolk

Old 09-28-2007, 08:40 AM

2,041 posts, read 2,464,286 times
I don't know if you all are interested but I live in a duplex and the one right above us is for rent. We live right next to the Chrysler Museum and in a really good neighborhood. The Willams School is a private school which is right down the street in our neighborhood. Just a thought! I can give you more info if you want to PM me. We are moving at the end of November as well but our place would be too small for a family. The one upstairs is much larger!

Old 09-28-2007, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,390 times
Hi Emeraldgirl, more info would be great, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area