Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 AM

774 posts, read 1,693,488 times

Advertisements

Oh if you survived Texas weather you'll have no trouble with Virginia!

Come on down, the people are friendly here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 PM

55 posts, read 91,128 times
Yeah, it did take a few summers down there to get used to it. VA shouldn't be a problem !!

Yes, everyone was very friendly and helpful. I didn't want to come back to CT last April

Old 07-12-2012, 03:59 PM

14 posts, read 17,832 times
I grew up here in NJ, went to college in New England, and then went to CA for 4 years. Moved back to NJ because my family was here and we wanted more affordable housing (sounds really funny to me now, but this area is not even nearly as bad as the SF Bay Area in terms of price) and a safe place to raise children. I know the area has always been fast-paced, but I do not remember it being THIS stressful. Maybe it is because I am an adult now, but an area that I used to love is now a place I am slowly starting to hate. It's unbelievable how bad the traffic has become in just in the 10 years that I have been back.
Rosemary, you described it perfectly. I am so done with this rat race, rude people and constant games of one-upmanship. I also did not want to come back here the last time we were visiting Williamsburg. As long as we can sell the house, we are SO out of here next year!
Archguy - Thank you for all the comments. Everything you said is making me think we are definitely on the right track with our plans to relocate to SE Virginia :-)

Old 07-13-2012, 04:52 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,220,896 times
The glass cooktops are easy to keep clean if you wipe up all spills immediately. Let something get cooked on and you'll need a razor to scrape it off. I have had two glass cooktops and hate them. It's a matter of personal perference. I'll take a gas (natural or propane) range/cooktop over the glass ones any day.

It may be rare, but there are instances where a glass cooktop shatters for apparently no reason --- i.e., no one was dropping a pan on the cooktop when it happened.

A sparkly clean glass cooktop looks great, but my experience is keeping it that way is not as easy as it seems.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 AM

Firegaugh: When I was in W'Burg, I was doing some shopping and people in stores actually said "excuse me" if they accidently walked into you or in front of you; I chuckled to myself because up here, people will run over you first before even saying excuse me. And this was my favorite: my daughter and I were sitting in a diner and I asked the waitress for directions and this adorable couple sitting behind us said they weren't "eavesdropping" but overheard the conversation and proceeded to tell us various places to visit, how to get there, etc., asked where we were from; it left me with such a lovely feeling. I hope to have my house on the market be the end of the summer so hopefully my relocation will be just around the corner. Can't wait

Old 07-13-2012, 09:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemaryt714 View Post
I asked the waitress for directions and this adorable couple sitting behind us said they weren't "eavesdropping" but overheard the conversation and proceeded to tell us various places to visit, how to get there, etc., asked where we were from; it left me with such a lovely feeling.
I had a similar experience on my trip last spring. We got lost and stopped at a deli to eat and look at our map to see where we had gone wrong. The clerk brought our sandwiches, saw us looking at maps, and then took a few minutes to help us out. We didn't even ask for help, he just saw that we needed it and volunteered. We went into the library and asked where the concert hall was--instead of just pointing the librarian took us over to it and even offered to give us a tour of the library if we were interested. At the bus stop, a person waiting for the bus was friendly and interested in talking about local bookstores. We were surprised and delighted by the friendliness we encountered.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:02 AM

It is amazing, isn't it?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:29 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemaryt714 View Post
It is amazing, isn't it?
Yes, and especially since it seems so prevalent in Williamsburg, but in the rest of Hampton Roads and Richmond I tend to encounter something else entirely. It's like Williamsburg is in its own little bubble.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:29 AM

14 posts, read 17,832 times
Wow, both of those stories are heartwarming. Life can be difficult enough as it is...we should at least be able to count on common courtesy from people in our community. I don't have that right now (most of the time - there are always exceptions) and I know it would make a huge difference to my family in terms of our overall happiness.
Rosemary - good luck with the house sale! Look forward to hopefully hearing about your relocation soon.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:49 AM

Me too !! Thanks !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area