U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 05:44 PM

77 posts, read 381,268 times

Advertisements

Just a quick question about the real estate area sandwiched between Ghent and ODU. Between Colley and Hampton Blvd, there are a couple of properties for sale in that area. Will that area get better in the future, is ODU going to develop down to 35th or the upper 20's ? I am thinking of buying but just a little reluctent to do so. Any opinions or knowledge would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,750,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia1 View Post
Just a quick question about the real estate area sandwiched between Ghent and ODU. Between Colley and Hampton Blvd, there are a couple of properties for sale in that area. Will that area get better in the future, is ODU going to develop down to 35th or the upper 20's ? I am thinking of buying but just a little reluctent to do so. Any opinions or knowledge would be appreciated.
ODU does/did have the rights to most of the surrounding area including North to Bolling Ave, East to Colley Ave and South to the railroad Tracks at 24th street but with the changes in laws they will have a much harder time trying to take this property like they once could...You have a mixture of residential and commercial properties between Colley Ave and Killam Ave but rezoning these properties are almost impossible. (in order to keep rooming houses Or illegal rooming houses down around ODU) Most of the vacant properties are either already owned by ODU or the city of Norfolk. As of right now I have not heard of ODU going any futher south then possibly 35th in the area you are speaking of. But the city and ODU have swapped several pieces of land in this area over the last year so who really knows what their plans are.....I have not looked at any planning maps for this area in the past year or two but you could either go to ODU and ask to see their 5-10 year planning maps or either go down to Norfolk City Hall planning office and ask to see the cities 10 year plan for that area to get an idea what is in the works.

The area between Killam and Hampton going south away from the dorms is mainly commercial until you get to 38th street where it turns more into residential. The area from 38th street south to the railroad tracks is still pretty iffy at best. This area of Park Place has not changed much as most of the building or refurbishing is taking place well east of Colley Ave more toward Colonial ave and even Granby street. Park Place still has a major gang problem and if you check around this area you will see a lot of fresh gang tagging so the fight to run the gangs out of this area is still far from over.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:10 PM

77 posts, read 381,268 times
Thanks rtandc for the information. I talked with a police officer and asked him about the area and he had mixed feelings about it. He did mention the gang activity but said recently it has been curbed somewhat but it's still a fight. He gave the oceanview area as an example 10 years ago one would be hestitant to buy, but it has come a long way, it could happen in the Park Place area, but then again there is no beach. Thanks again.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:55 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,750,839 times
I guess it all depends if you are looking to buy this property to live in or if you are looking to buy and rent it out for an investment property.....

Old 10-11-2007, 07:22 PM

119 posts, read 415,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia1 View Post
The answer is yes to both your questions. Here is a link to an article that may interests you.

West 21st street awaits facelift (broken link)

The whole ghent area will be undergoing a major redevelopment here shortly. Getting property in this area is a very wise idea.

ODU has been undergoing a major expansion over the last few years with no sign of slowing down. The just finished a new book store, research center, and the first phase of University Village. University Village is sort of a town center type development which is really starting to attract a lot of people. As these areas grow together, you can expect the property in between to increase in value.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:58 PM

9 posts, read 54,391 times
My mom lives in Park Place and it doesnt have any more gang violence than any other area. Matter of fact Va Beach has more gang activity than Norfolk. Colley Avenue is a Preppy Area and lots of growth potential if you can find a vacant spot.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:05 PM

714 posts, read 1,914,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA 2 IL View Post
My mom lives in Park Place and it doesnt have any more gang violence than any other area. Matter of fact Va Beach has more gang activity than Norfolk. Colley Avenue is a Preppy Area and lots of growth potential if you can find a vacant spot.
I really think this post hit the nail on the head. It's also a matter of perspective too. When I lived in DC, that was a really bad place for gang violence, homelessness, and other problems that virtually seemed to disappear during the time I spent in Norfolk. I knew other people from more rural locations that were amazed by the gang violence and made worse by some members of the city council of Norfolk that seems to promote the belief in a corrupt police force and racial tension in the city. But I think the ODU area afrom Colley to ODU will only increase in value in the future as it's one of the best areas of Norfolk where thousands of new college students are looking for housing every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area