Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 AM

4 posts, read 10,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myladymybaby View Post
Yea, even with those percentages you have about 45,000 under the poverty line in PG mixed with the fact that its not many blacks in Williamsburg to begin with(less than 10,000). PG county totals at around 566,000 black people, so that's more than all of Hampton Roads combined...so it seems like the poverty in Williamsburg is hidden, probably because its the country and so spread out.
The point i'm trying to make is a good amount of the black kids in willamsburg really don't come from money. As a young kid i lived in a section 8 complex in willamsburg. And drug delaers would stand in front of my door and sell drugs all day. I seen a person shot right in front of my door and a few guys stabbed worse thing i saw was a guy beat to death. In place you have poverty you will have drug abuse and crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM

6 posts, read 13,975 times
Default Christopher Newport University area?

What is the area like around Christopher Newport University? Is that an ok place to buy a home?

Old 01-17-2013, 03:09 PM

275 posts, read 870,100 times
That's mainly Menchville, Warwick, and Oyster Point/Denbigh areas. Very nice, and if you were to live in NN, I'd recommend those parts of the city.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 PM

368 posts, read 995,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavves71 View Post
What is the area like around Christopher Newport University? Is that an ok place to buy a home?
The area around CNU is an awesome area. Safe, centrally located, really close to attractions (Virginia Living Museum, Mariner's Museum, Noland Trail and Lake Maury, Riverview Farm Park, The Furguson Center, The Peninsula Fine Arts Center). It's also close to the Patrick Henry Mall and all the shopping (and eating!) places on Jefferson Ave.

Great place to buy. Love it here.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 PM

42 posts, read 136,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artistatheart View Post
The area around CNU is an awesome area. Safe, centrally located, really close to attractions (Virginia Living Museum, Mariner's Museum, Noland Trail and Lake Maury, Riverview Farm Park, The Furguson Center, The Peninsula Fine Arts Center). It's also close to the Patrick Henry Mall and all the shopping (and eating!) places on Jefferson Ave.

Great place to buy. Love it here.
Another thumbs up. Great place to live in Newport News, probably the best. I believe it's called "Hidenwood" if you're looking to tell a Realtor where you're looking.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:59 PM

38 posts, read 76,873 times
I am the OP. It was not my intent to open up such a can of worms!

That said..I am about as white as white gets. I am a spoken for female, no kids and not looking to have any. I have a cat. I own a business. That's challenge enough.

I'm just looking to start over again in a warmer climate than where I'm from, where I can work on the beach if I feel like it that day, weather permitting.

I'd like to be in an area without a lot of kids, drugs, and/or wild parties, that does not also come with an exhorbitant price tag.

Perhaps either an artsy neighborhood, or one populated by older folks?

Old 01-27-2013, 07:13 PM

Since you originally mentioned you were interested in Newport News, I'm again going to suggest the CNU area. It's safe (day and night) and, although family-friendly, isn't overloaded by any particular demographic. The people are friendly--I wouldn't call them artsy, but I would call them eclectic. You can be an artist or a doctor or a truck driver or a teacher and pretty much nobody will bat an eye. It's a nice mix. There are less expensive houses interspersed with both middle range and super expensive homes. The cheaper ones tend to go quickly, but there's a good possibility you'll be able to find something in your budget.

If you're interested, I could message you the contact information for our buyer's agent. We had no idea what we were doing when we first moved to Hampton Roads and she opened us up to a lot of new possibilities. Let me know if you're interested.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 AM

38 posts, read 76,873 times
I would like the name of the buyer's agent. Thank you.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM

Messaged you.

Also, there's a realtor on here named Mr. Williamsburg who has always struck me as a stand up guy. You might want to give him a try, too.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:09 PM

77 posts, read 165,280 times
I live in the area have been the last 5 years in newport news. I have lived in good and rough parts.(Port warwick(great) to dresden(real hood) to oyster point place on j clyde to nettles(great area) to warwick lawns on denbigh area(people call it rough but its jus a regular neighborhood) now in kiln creek(wonderful area.) Everything on the jefferson side from dresden drive to 6th street(about 100 blocks at least) is very rough outside of a couple small patches of decent areas on side streets. Avoid jclyde too a few blocks before those. Midtown and downtown jefferson are really rough. Warwick is very nice from around 50th street all the way up to oyster point road on warwick is pretty nice and safe. The other main intersections that cut through all of these areas are pretty nice too. Some parts of jclyde toward yorktown are pretty safe too. From j clyde up jefferson to dodges chicken also very nice and safe. All areas north of dodges chicken to ft eustis on jefferson side are really rough too. Oyster point road on warwick side all the way up to ft eustis with the exception of a couple patches is rough too. Difference of the areas on warwick (uptown) jefferson (uptown) and jefferson (midtown and downtown) are that the areas on jefferson look and are actually extremely dangerous. Uptown looks suburban even in the hoods and except a few obvious areas (beechmont woodview and especially aqueduct) dont come off as that dangerous and usually arent just a concentration of working(minimum wage) and other struggling people not necessarily dangerous. Newport News is actually safe if you aren't involved in the streets. Norfolk and Portsmouth are a good amount worst if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area