U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 PM

38 posts, read 60,503 times

Advertisements

Moving to NN. Found a potential home on 26th st, and also found a different potential home in the Stuart Gardens neighborhood.

I'm buying cheap, so I'm not expecting anything extravagant; I do, however, wonder about the qualities of the neighborhood, especially at night.

Can anyone shed some light on my question? Also, I need a buyer's agent, as mine is a relocation situation.

Thank you all in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,055,418 times
I recently moved here. I have been told that when I hit the numbered streets to turn around and go back.

Hopefully, other posters with better knowledge of NN will post.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:28 PM

43 posts, read 93,163 times
I don't know much, if anything about Stuart Gardens, but the best advice given to me was to stay north/west of the Numbered streets (& Mercury), and south of the Lee Hall/Denbigh area. Safety's definitely an issue there. Might be able to find a buyer's agent for you, if you still need one - I'll have to check.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:05 AM

If you do a search on Google, you can come up with crime maps of NN.
That might give you some idea about safety of an area.

Newport News, VA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Newport News - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

This is the NNPD crime statistics webpage showing yearly numbers. You can click on a link for crime statistics by area.

Yearly Crime Statistics — City of Newport News

Old 08-04-2012, 03:04 PM

42 posts, read 105,754 times
Are you trying to get yourself killed?

I'm assuming you're moving here to work at the Shipyard if you're looking in "downtown Newport News", or, more appropriately "bad newz". Most of us commute from Smithfield or far away from the downtown Newport News area.

Newport News, east of Mercury Blvd, is not a place I'd ever want to live.

Newport News, west of Denbigh Blvd, is not a place I'd ever want to live.

What race are you? Hampton Roads may seem like it isn't a prejudice place to live but there is rampant silent racism. If you're white, I cannot stress enough that these areas are not where you want to live.

If you're white, look into the southern part of York County if you can afford it. It's arguably the nicest section of the peninsula(save Williamsburg) and is safe for the time being.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:15 AM

Falcor117, based on my brief time here, you've summed it up very well.

I hope the OP reconsiders his/her options. Buying/renting cheap is for naught if it gets you killed or maimed.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:20 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,569,087 times
OP I would recommend a living a little above Jefferson and Mercury if you want some peace of mind or look at Hampton a few blocks away. All of downtown Newport News isn't bad, but I probably wouldn't recommend looking unless you have a Realtor to show you around.

And yes the rampant silent racism is the reason why I left Hampton Roads though it's silent racism coming from people who think being on the same sidewalk as an AA means they're likelihood of being a victim of crime or getting shot is going to increase. That mentality is very prevalent in Hampton Roads. Downtown Newport News has a lot of crime, but a lot of it is petty crimes. If the OP moved there and found himself in a bad section at the most he would likely be the victim of car theft. When I hear people talk about downtown Newport News is usually stuff they hear from a friend who was told by a friend,etc... Or they think it's an area with people shooting at each other 24/7. And I don't see what him being white(or not) has to do with him living in York County (or for that matter Newport News). And "for the time being"?

Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,574,692 times
Funny that you mention this because I was just over there looking at properties.

Honestly downtown Newport News is not terrible. Would I want to live there? No. But I'm not looking to buy to live, but rather buy to rent.

I'll put it to you this way- there's really no houses with bars on the windows so that's a plus. Just make sure if you do move there to not leave any valuables outside and always lock your doors. The most common problem I've seen is theft.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:11 AM

404 posts, read 973,043 times
Seesh!! Stuart Gardens is wayyyy east of Mercury. When you hear people mention "Bad Newz" that area lives up to the name. Have you even drove through the neighborhood to see the place? Anybody with common sense will easily recognize that the area is ghetto. The only good thing that you can say about the area is that Michael Vick grew up there (if you're a fan of his).

Unless you grew up in Downtown Newport News and are used to the area, there is absolutely no reason why you should move there.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:00 PM

42 posts, read 105,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Funny that you mention this because I was just over there looking at properties.

Honestly downtown Newport News is not terrible. Would I want to live there? No. But I'm not looking to buy to live, but rather buy to rent.

I'll put it to you this way- there's really no houses with bars on the windows so that's a plus. Just make sure if you do move there to not leave any valuables outside and always lock your doors. The most common problem I've seen is theft.
There are a ton of houses with bars on the windows.

Not too long ago a clerk at a fish store was shot in the face, in broad daylight. The clerk was just robbed by the gunman, and complied, didn't fight back.

The east end of Newport News is a "Weed and Seed" community. Basically, it's one of the worst 300 neighborhoods in the country. Community Capacity Development Office - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are you even from here? It's a well known fact around here that the east end is TERRIBLE.

Hampton man dies after shooting in Newport News | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Man arrested in triple shooting in Newport News | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

And last but not least:

HOMICIDES IN HAMPTON ROADS FOR 2011 - dailypress.com

Most of them happened in the east end.

So again, don't listen to these people who are not from the area. Bad Newz is in fact, incredibly bad news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area