Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:24 PM

44 posts, read 170,180 times

Advertisements

If you came from a real big city, like I did-forget it!

Those who have lived here all thier lives and don't know any better (I'm sorry) must like to be bored, retire by 9 P.M., don't know what good food taste like, are avid church goers-even multiple times a week, have no outside interest and/or have children.

I don't even know how people date around here (not much to brag about anyway).

And tottally forget it if you disagree with the set life style around here. No alternative choices. You have to be: very religeous/moral, tire easily or have a lot of money to spend.

No one should have to spend more than $725 for a decent 1 b/r apt. in a fairly decent neighborhood. So what if it has a water view, is in a so called inflated hoit-toity neighborhood like Downtown V.B. (I know, I used to live there before it was even a neighborhood and in 4 years rent on a 2 b/r condo went from $525 to $875). People just don't know what to do with their money!

I refuse to pay rediculous prices FOR ANYTHING! It only drives the prices higher people! Like gas. Just don't buy that gas guzzling SUV- you don't need it anyway. It's a status symbol. Don't take that extra long drive.

Speaking of commutting-what a joke! Here its a cross between horse and buggy and a stinky, ethnic, never-on-time, hot, noisy, packed bus! And the driving commute shouldn't be this bad-where are all these people coming from in the off-season?! Are they lost and took a wrong turn @ Nag's Head, N.C.? And these sick drivers are frustrated racing car drivers with minds that match-DEET DEE DEE!

If you are a fan of non-technology or not connecting with the outside world-you'll love it here in most places.

And guys if your thinking of the "action" around here or even a decent video or magazine place-HA! Your in the wrong morality/minority! And no good hangouts except the bars or the mall. EW!

The minor crimes are annoying and costly. We can't get rid of the gang problem (there are solutions, but the V.B. police are afraid of them or are to lazy to actively shut them down).

Now for the good :

Main library of V.B. is good
The A.R.E.(Cayce) by the beach
Hidden "pocket size" beaches & parks
Less major crime than most 'cities' of this size.
If you like heat-we got it!
less crowding on the sidewalks
People actually say hi, even if they don't know you
Your less likely to be mugged

Overall I'd give it a 3 1/2 out of 10 (it did not nearly reached my expectations of it before I was forced to come here with my job)!

Highly OVERRATED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 01:26 PM

10,147 posts, read 11,103,912 times
Where are you originally from?

I'm assuming you're talking about VA right?

Old 10-05-2007, 05:57 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,218,797 times
I am in this area, but not the city and I think your rants are...outrageous. But I am not looking to get out and party, or whatever, I am happy with where I am at, I think that the gas is high everywhere...

Horse and buggy? I am thinking NOT! Go up a state to southern MD and you will see a true Horse and Buggy...Amish Style!

Why is this in relationships anyway???

Old 10-05-2007, 08:50 AM

Default From CitiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Where are you originally from?

I'm assuming you're talking about VA right?
OOOPS, did I post in the wrong forum-my bad!

Yeah, I'm original from Brooklyn, NY when it was still fun to live and play there!

Old 10-05-2007, 01:23 PM

10,147 posts, read 11,103,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBoy View Post
OOOPS, did I post in the wrong forum-my bad!

Yeah, I'm original from Brooklyn, NY when it was still fun to live and play there!

Ahhhh - I"m originally from NY too, and the places I've lived never could compare.....

Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 AM

Wink Hey New Yawka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Ahhhh - I"m originally from NY too, and the places I've lived never could compare.....
Really? What part of NY? I've also lived in 'discriminatory' Florida for about 6 mo. Where have you lived that was so bad?

Old 10-17-2007, 04:49 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,349,365 times
citiboy,
if you can rent a place in ny for 725.00 i wouldnt want to sleep in it, and if your idea of a little action is going to a dirty book store????? well god help ya.
i will take va over brooklyn any day.........

Old 10-25-2007, 05:43 PM

754 posts, read 1,733,242 times
Sorry, I have to agree with most of what CitiBoy said. However, anyone's perception of any area is going to be based on their perceptions, expectations and lifestyle. I am a young, professional, with no children and a very diverse background (born and lived half my life in Brooklyn, NY/then moved to Tampa, FL and my family is from Trinidad so I have a strong Carib culture); most people my age in this area are either working minimum wage jobs, still living with their parents or 500,000,000 roomates, pretty much the 'young' population 35 and under are enlisted men/women or college students (not much YUPPIES around), or they are married/divorced with atleast two kids. We do not get major plays (except for the Lion King that came last year), the sprawl has created a horrible traffic problem with no public transportation as relief, and the 'night' scene reminds me of a Friday night in a low-grade college town. Needless to say, I am ready to go and will be relocating to Alexandria within the next two months.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:10 AM

254 posts, read 1,203,600 times
I have to agree with some of what citiboy said originally. The state of Virginia is definitely a southern conservative state with outdated customs from the 1800s (example: unwed boyfriend/girlfriends living together is illegal). I've lived in California, Hawaii, Washington state, NC, europe and several third world countries. No place will ever be perfect for everyone - you just have to add up all the pros/cons and decide for yourself. Right now I'm happy here in the Hampton roads area.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:53 PM

150 posts, read 574,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMELIFER View Post
I have to agree with some of what citiboy said originally. The state of Virginia is definitely a southern conservative state with outdated customs from the 1800s (example: unwed boyfriend/girlfriends living together is illegal). I've lived in California, Hawaii, Washington state, NC, europe and several third world countries. No place will ever be perfect for everyone - you just have to add up all the pros/cons and decide for yourself. Right now I'm happy here in the Hampton roads area.

Is this really true about the couples that aren't married, living together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area