U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 PM

9,137 posts, read 11,694,163 times

Advertisements

I think that the Hampton Road area would be a very strong draw for the Sacramento Kings , mainly because of the one major sports team model. Seattle has three major league sports teams NFL , MLB , MLS and plan on expanding by both NBA and NHL teams....Kansas City is already over extended with three teams and a low " Total Personal Income Metro Ratio " to pay for a addictional NBA and or NHL team. Anaheim California allready has a NHL and MLB team and the Commish says that he won't allow the NBA Sacramento King to relocate down to Anaheim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 AM

275 posts, read 763,580 times
The NBA has gone for the smaller markets in recent years (the last decade or so).

Charlotte Hornets went to New Orleans, which is slightly smaller.
Vancouver Grizzlies to Memphis, which is much smaller.
Seattle Supersonics went to Oklahoma City, also much smaller.

Charlotte is roughly the same size as HR, and the three new markets are all smaller than HR. People forget this was also an ABA market, and that the Squires folded due to p.i.s.s-poor management. The fact that they played in 4 or 5 different venues across the state didn't help.

This market is no less viable than N.O., Memphis, or OKC. And while we have the nightlife, the culture doesn't compare to what's in New Orleans or Memphis, in terms of music. That actually helps our case as it makes for one less distraction that could help the attendance. The only threat I see is that Stern supposedly wants to make good on his promise to get Seattle a team before he steps down for good.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 PM

8 posts, read 8,123 times
This would be a wonderful move but def not going to happen. Lol more like Seattle Kings. Until then, just root for the Wizards lol.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 PM

867 posts, read 1,023,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuice View Post
This would be a wonderful move but def not going to happen. Lol more like Seattle Kings. Until then, just root for the Wizards lol.
Who roots for the Wizards? Thats yalls thing.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM

6,274 posts, read 15,537,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I think they even called the Tides, the Tidewater Tides at one point too, I am sure I had or have a kids hat from back in the day that says that. If VB gets a pro team, I won't be complaining too much if they are called Virginia Beach or Virginia. Plus it is a smart idea to make everyone in Virginia feel like this is their team. It would also be a way to talk people from Richmond, NoVa, and the western part of Virginia feel as if the team is part of their state and encourage people to travel to go to see this team and spend money in Hampton Roads.
Yep. They were the Tidewater Tides until they moved to Harbor Park in '93. The old stadium, Met Park, had similarities to Shea Stadium, being a 1960s relic under the approach to an airport. Harbor Park was a huge improvement, but I preferred the 1980s classic Mets-inspired pinstripe uniforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or