U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,855,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Say what?!??! I'll have whatever you're having!!! LOL!

Not even taking any other city into consideration, you think VA Beach is better than MIAMI BEACH? When was the last time you were there, 1901??

Sorry, but VA Beach isn't anywhere even remotely close to Miami Beach (which might I point out also has a basketball team right next door, they're called the Miami Heat. You might have heard of them )
Don't go there. I lived on Pennsylvania Avenue and broke my lease because it was a hellhole. Fort Lauderdale is more comparable to Virginia Beach than Miami Beach is. For those not in the know, I was talking about South Beach specifically. Miami Beach as a municipality is a "better beach" than Virginia Beach because of the sheer amount of concentrated wealth as you head further north. Virginia Beach has no equivalent to Bal Harbour or Star Island in Biscayne Bay. But in and of itself, I would assert that Virginia Beach is a better maintained and nicer oceanfront area. Miami and Miami Beach are two separate municipalities altogether.

On the high end, Virginia Beach cannot compare to Miami. But on the low end, Virginia Beach (nor Norfolk for that matter) have ghettoes that compare to Overtown and Liberty City. Also remember that with the exception of the American Airlines Arena, downtown Miami is dead after dark. Bayside is the exact same concept as Waterside, even built by the same developer (Rouse Corporation). I personally in my life have had as much fun (perhaps moreso) on Labor Days in Virginia Beach than Memorial Days in Miami Beach. Neither can top Freaknik or Kappa Beach Party in their heydeys however. Also, the lynchpin of the whole Comcast Arena plan will be to extend light rail down to the Oceanfront, a mass transit concept not even on the radar for Miami Beach. I'll stand by my assertion. Yeah, how bout dem Heat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 11:54 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,604,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Don't go there. I lived on Pennsylvania Avenue and broke my lease because it was a hellhole. Fort Lauderdale is more comparable to Virginia Beach than Miami Beach is. For those not in the know, I was talking about South Beach specifically. Miami Beach as a municipality is a "better beach" than Virginia Beach because of the sheer amount of concentrated wealth as you head further north. Virginia Beach has no equivalent to Bal Harbour or Star Island in Biscayne Bay. But in and of itself, I would assert that Virginia Beach is a better maintained and nicer oceanfront area. Miami and Miami Beach are two separate municipalities altogether.

On the high end, Virginia Beach cannot compare to Miami. But on the low end, Virginia Beach (nor Norfolk for that matter) have ghettoes that compare to Overtown and Liberty City. Also remember that with the exception of the American Airlines Arena, downtown Miami is dead after dark. Bayside is the exact same concept as Waterside, even built by the same developer (Rouse Corporation). I personally in my life have had as much fun (perhaps moreso) on Labor Days in Virginia Beach than Memorial Days in Miami Beach. Neither can top Freaknik or Kappa Beach Party in their heydeys however. Also, the lynchpin of the whole Comcast Arena plan will be to extend light rail down to the Oceanfront, a mass transit concept not even on the radar for Miami Beach. I'll stand by my assertion. Yeah, how bout dem Heat?
Are ya sure you lived there? You should know that Bal Harbour is a completely separate city and has nothing to do with Miami Beach.

Your other point I don't understand. Miami Beach is the "better beach" because of wealth, but VA Beach is a better maintained beach?

Correct- Miami and Miami Beach are separate cities.

The ghettos of South Florida are worse than what we have here, but none of them are in Miami Beach.

Back to Miami- although there's work to be done, Downtown Miami is certainly more lively after dark than Downtown Norfolk or Town Center. Occupancy of condos continues to grow,
Downtown Miami | Renters | 93 Percent Occupancy

As for Bayside, it enjoys a 97% occupancy rate. Waterside does not.

RE: transit out to Miami Beach- I recently came across a bit in the Herald that we're discussing on the Miami forum about Metromover being extended out to the beach.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,759,126 times
I think Virginia Beach will one day have a pro sports team. Is this the one? I don't know. I still think that a pro football team would be the only pro sports the Hampton Roads area could support long term.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,574,660 times
Not happening and I figured it wouldn't:

Sacramento Kings deny report of possible move to Virginia - ESPN

Maybe in the future when there's some regional unity and more development. People right now are throwing a fuss about light rail, I can already imagine the support a more expensive stadium would get simply because it's a sports stadium.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Are ya sure you lived there? You should know that Bal Harbour is a completely separate city and has nothing to do with Miami Beach.

Your other point I don't understand. Miami Beach is the "better beach" because of wealth, but VA Beach is a better maintained beach?

Correct- Miami and Miami Beach are separate cities.

The ghettos of South Florida are worse than what we have here, but none of them are in Miami Beach.

Back to Miami- although there's work to be done, Downtown Miami is certainly more lively after dark than Downtown Norfolk or Town Center. Occupancy of condos continues to grow,
Downtown Miami | Renters | 93 Percent Occupancy

As for Bayside, it enjoys a 97% occupancy rate. Waterside does not.

RE: transit out to Miami Beach- I recently came across a bit in the Herald that we're discussing on the Miami forum about Metromover being extended out to the beach.
Yes Bal Harbour is a seperate municipality, but it has nothing to do with Miami Beach? Certainly no one from north beach travels the 8 blocks up Collins to get to Bal Harbour. Of course all 3500 residents of the town of Bal Harbour are solely responsible for making Bal Harbour Shops arguably the most successful luxury mall in the world and operating at a 100% occupancy rate since the 1980s. It's proximity to Miami Beach (only separated by Surfside) has absolutely nothing to do with that.

You are correct, none of the ghettoes are in Miami Beach (although there are some sketchy areas). Also the American Airlines Arena is not in Miami Beach. Point being, Virginia Beach is the world's largest resort city and is in the Guiness Book of World Records for being the world's longest pleasure beach. Yes, Miami Beach has more luxury accommodations, but Virginia Beach is more accesible to the middle class masses. What's not to understand? South Beach is a narrow strip of sand across from 1920s Art Deco hotels (albeit vibrant ones) with garish concrete public bathrooms and views of tankers leaving the Port of Miami. Virginia Beach is diverse with a boardwalk, recreational activities, and has a mix of hotels and retail catering to middle class families.

This is the direct correlation with basketball. Have you ever been to a Heat game? The cheap seats in the rafters are filled (still a good view). Presumably there are individuals in the luxury suites and you see a smattering of ballers courtside. But the downlow seats aren't even occupied against the Lakers. Virginia Beach is the heart of Virginia's upper middle class outside of Northern Virginia, the precise target audience for those money making seats in NBA arenas. And as you said, Virginia Beach's "ghettoes" are a dubious term that becomes invalidated as soon as drive through an actual one in Norfolk or Newport News. Virginia Beach is the safest "large" city in the United States. The precise landscape that attracts families and exactly the precise landscape contemporary NBA owners look for.

Yes, downtown Miami is more lively than downtown Norfolk. And downtown Cleveland is more lively than downtown Buffalo. Being that Town Center has only really been there for a decade versus over a hundred years for Downtown Miami I would say that Town Center is acquitting itself quite well. I'm sure Bayside is doing better than Waterside. It's got an arena and cruise ship port practically next door! And Miami also didn't ridiculously build an equivalent to MacArthur Mall a mile away. It could be argued that MacArthur killed Waterside but it could also be argued that Bayside killed Omni International Mall. These things happen.

And light rail is on the "planning board" for Miami Dade Transit. Ok. And the Southeastern Parkway was on the "planning board" going on 20 years before the funding was cut in 2010. At least money was going into it. Metrofail's budget was already slashed in 2010 as well so I would look for the Miami Beach light rail about the same time you are driving on the Southeastern Parkway. Virginia Beach is way more serious about light rail up and running despite the opposition and it's arrival is way more imminent. But kudos to Miami-Dade for building the Metrofail Airport Extension. That was only two decades past due!

Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM

2,822 posts, read 2,825,334 times
I hope this happens! I will move back when Tidewater gets a Pro Team!! I hope Basketball!

Old 08-24-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post

Maybe in the future when there's some regional unity and more development. People right now are throwing a fuss about light rail, I can already imagine the support a more expensive stadium would get simply because it's a sports stadium.
The Daily Press and New York Times seem to think otherwise in releases that came out AFTER the one ESPN wrote:

Report: NBA's Sacramento Kings could relocate to Virginia Beach if council OKs deal

Virginia Beach Is Latest Community to Court Kings

If you have been following this story at all you would know that the payment for bulk of the costs would come from Comcast as well as a $1 hotel tax that would almost exclusively impact tourists, not Virginia Beach residents.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:51 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,574,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
The Daily Press and New York Times seem to think otherwise in releases that came out AFTER the one ESPN wrote:

Report: NBA's Sacramento Kings could relocate to Virginia Beach if council OKs deal

Virginia Beach Is Latest Community to Court Kings

If you have been following this story at all you would know that the payment for bulk of the costs would come from Comcast as well as a $1 hotel tax that would almost exclusively impact tourists, not Virginia Beach residents.
I'll take what the owners before anything else. They probably are considering Va Beach along with other cities, but it's probably not going to happen.

And I didn't say anything about the VA Beach residents paying for it since that rarely happens outside as spending comes from outside sources. I did the comparison to give perspective.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:55 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,248,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post

That title of that article is so misleading. He didn't say they weren't moving to Virginia Beach, he just said they haven't talked to them. Notice he didn't say they wouldn't. Also check out this part:

Quote:
"The Kings have been approached by numerous cities interested (in) buying the team and relocating it," Kings spokesman Eric Rose said to CBS13 in an email. "We are not going to discuss which cities have approached the team and are not going to comment on every rumor. I can tell you that the Kings are 100 percent focused on putting a winning team on the court."
In other words, even if they have talked to VA Beach, they aren't telling us. The key here, is they are not denying the move to VA Beach, they just said they haven't talked to VA Beach, yet. Which doesn't mean much when they say they aren't going to talk about each individual city, in the same breath.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:02 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,248,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
4) The Maloofs are flat out broke. For them to move they would have to pay 200-300 million just so they could move. 75 million to the City of Sacramento and 150-250 million to the NBA. They don't have that kind of money.

I'm not saying the Kings will never leave Sacramento. I don't think it will be to Virginia Beach. If they are going to move my best bet would be Seattle, Anaheim, Kansas City, and Cincinnati.
Even if this is true, given that they were having a difficult time trying to get an arena built and that the fact the VA Beach would build the arena regardless if they come or not and can guarantee a 25 year lease, I don't see how they wouldn't save money do that as opposed to go to a place that is likely going to require them to fund the arena. I think it's more realistic than people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or