U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,238,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
Good point, and I should've clarified that in my post. 264 to the beach can get messy, esp. around Mt. Trashmore/Rosemont, but it's worse heading into downtown Norfolk near NSU. Even when I used to head to ODU in the mornings, it was never that bad. 10 minute backup on the worst day (maybe once every few months).

A game night at the beach will obviously be a little different, but I'm not expecting it to be anywhere close to what 95 experiences heading into DC (general traffic). If anything, it'll probably be somewhere between downtown Norfolk on its worst day and 64@Tidewater on an average one. At least during winter months, it won't interfere with anyone trying to have fun at the beach.

But that's getting ahead of ourselves. The Comcast pitch is this afternoon at 3. I'll be headed to the airport, but I'll definitely check my phone before I board my flight and during my layover!

FWIW, I once passed the Verizon Center heading to a football game at Howard U. This was close to 10 years ago, but I believe it was a 2-lane street back then, maybe 4? I can't imagine how the traffic looks getting to games there! Granted they have the Metro, but that's still gotta be a mess! Same for getting to Nationals Stadium.
It is, that's why most people take the Metro, but if you do drive, it is impossible to drive through because of all the pedestrians. It really isn't as easy as Mr.Coconut makes it sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,124,159 times
When two fortune 500 companies come to your area with a proposal I would assume they have already done their research in terms of location, demographics, tourism, infrastructure, proximity of other MSA's (Richmond/Raleigh) etc...

I, for one, think it would be great to have an NBA team and a venue for bigger concerts and shows in Virginia Beach. I drive to Charlotte or fly to Boston (when air tran had the nonstop) to see NBA games and spend a weekend on occasion, I am sure folks from Raleigh (only 3hrs with no NBA team) or Richmond (only 2hrs with no NBA team) would do so as well. It gives folks more reason to be in the resort area in the off season (basketball goes from the end of October to the end of April) which helps all of the restaurants and hotels that are basically wasted capacity during that time of year. I also know folks that are going to Charlotte to see Rush in October, that money could be staying here as well.

Listen to what they have to say, what they are willing to do, and what it will cost the taxpayer then make a call. Nobody knows any specifics right now... but if Comcast and Live-Nation think it can work in VB then I am inclined to agree with them. Most of the cities you guys cite as positive examples when denigrating HR have these kinds of venues. Two fortune 500 companies think it will work, lets see what they are proposing!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:38 AM

275 posts, read 763,836 times
It also helps that Global Spectrum owns The Ted at ODU, so they are already familiar with how HR works. The Ted has had some pretty big concerts, not to mention ODU basketball, so that's another factor making them aware of the increased attendance potential. I'm sure they realize that a larger venue could bring even more money to the area, with concerts, events, and sports.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:07 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,775,528 times
I think people dont know what potential the area has and wont know until it happens. Also, as people talked negatively about DC, NYC, Philly, and Charlotte having no reason to come to HR. Helloooooo, there are things called away games

Old 08-28-2012, 05:55 PM

148 posts, read 312,749 times
I agree Deeman804. This area has a lot of potential and I say props to Virginia Beach if they go forward with this. It would be disappointing if they gave down such a great offer. People will hate on this place because it's boring and people will also hate on this place if it even attempts to achieve it's potential.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:21 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,596,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
You are obviously just going to keep arguing so I think at this point my point has been made.
You're simply refusing to answer the question. If you consider that arguing, than your definition is skewed.

Anyway, more arena news. No word of financing yet, but apparently:

Quote:
Harris said approximately 10 Fortune 500 companies are ready to become partners if the arena were to become a reality.

According to Luukko, the company is committed to a 25-year lease, hosting 200 events annually and bringing 1.4 million visitors to the arena per year. It is estimated the arena would bring 1,230 net jobs to the Hampton Roads area and generate $98 million in its inaugural year, 2015.
Arena could bring more than 1,200 jobs | WAVY.com | Virginia Beach, Va.

So again, I see no reason for the city to fund this. 10 Fortune 500 companies? $98 million its first year? Nobody would pass up an opportunity like that. Nobody. If a company like Comcast (who can clearly afford $350M) demand the city pays for it, something is rotten in... Virginia Beach.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,238,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
You're simply refusing to answer the question. If you consider that arguing, than your definition is skewed.

Anyway, more arena news. No word of financing yet, but apparently:

Arena could bring more than 1,200 jobs | WAVY.com | Virginia Beach, Va.

So again, I see no reason for the city to fund this. 10 Fortune 500 companies? $98 million its first year? Nobody would pass up an opportunity like that. Nobody. If a company like Comcast (who can clearly afford $350M) demand the city pays for it, something is rotten in... Virginia Beach.
Did you listen to the hearing? One of the council members asked the same question you have been asking and the response was there has been no financial work done. The $350 million is a rough estimate based on averages. He didn't say that the city would be on the hook completely. There wasn't really much to be said, so again why are you asking this question when there is no answer as to how it will be financed?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:04 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,124,159 times
It is pointless to argue, I watched the city council meeting on cable access, it is all preliminary and they will continue to negotiate with the Mayor and the Development Authority. There was no mention of the Kings. There was no guarantee of a team, just a guarantee that they would pursue bringing a team here. There were some guarantees, like a lease and operations of concessions etc... and there were some nice projections, which can be argued about until we are blue in the face, but nothing concrete. Sucks but gotta suspend judgement for the time being.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 AM

1,673 posts, read 5,537,164 times
Someone has set up a website already.

BRING IT

Old 08-29-2012, 02:21 PM

5,581 posts, read 5,390,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
When two fortune 500 companies come to your area with a proposal I would assume they have already done their research in terms of location, demographics, tourism, infrastructure, proximity of other MSA's (Richmond/Raleigh) etc...

I, for one, think it would be great to have an NBA team and a venue for bigger concerts and shows in Virginia Beach. I drive to Charlotte or fly to Boston (when air tran had the nonstop) to see NBA games and spend a weekend on occasion, I am sure folks from Raleigh (only 3hrs with no NBA team) or Richmond (only 2hrs with no NBA team) would do so as well. It gives folks more reason to be in the resort area in the off season (basketball goes from the end of October to the end of April) which helps all of the restaurants and hotels that are basically wasted capacity during that time of year. I also know folks that are going to Charlotte to see Rush in October, that money could be staying here as well.

Listen to what they have to say, what they are willing to do, and what it will cost the taxpayer then make a call. Nobody knows any specifics right now... but if Comcast and Live-Nation think it can work in VB then I am inclined to agree with them. Most of the cities you guys cite as positive examples when denigrating HR have these kinds of venues. Two fortune 500 companies think it will work, lets see what they are proposing!
1,200 jobs is not bad. sure beats working in a call center ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or