U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 01:50 PM

5,580 posts, read 5,368,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Every area struggles when the teams aren't good, but what makes the difference is the interest in that sport and the marketing. The Redskins are awful, they have been awful for 2 decades, but I guarantee you they are the #1 story every night that they play in the DC region and there are plenty of people at their games. Hard to say what the support will be in VA Beach, but what helps the city as a whole is to use the stadium to anchor to spur development. That is what the vision appears to be.
Development that is long overdue. Virginia Beach is so far behind other cities, particularly in transportation when smaller cities already have light rail or a subway, or a bigger downtown area.

I don't mind a lousy team as long as fans are excited about them! Cleveland has some of the worst teams you'll find anywhere, and people still come out in the cold to support them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,120,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
1,200 jobs is not bad. sure beats working in a call center ...
Yeah, but 1200 jobs at a cost of $350 million to fund a half empty arena might not be a great idea. And that is still a possibility at this point. We don't know who is paying for what, projections are just projections, and there is no promise of a team. By the way, most of us do not work at call centers. Despite what most folks on here will tell you about the job market in HR, the median incomes for households is pretty good compared with national averages. Just because you don't want/have a government/contractor/tourism/healthcare/agriculture job doesn't mean that they don't provide a good quality of life for lots of people around here.

There will be lots to hash out in terms of funding. Will there be state money? Will the team (if there is one) be the VB somethings, the HR somethings, or the Virginia somethings? If the city, or the region, has to raise money to service the debt will there be new sales taxes, hotel taxes, property taxes, restaurant taxes? How will the revenue be split? It is all speculation at this point. Sessoms said it right at the meeting... we need to explore it and see if it works for us.

Sure, the idea sounds great... I would love to have some additional offseason activities at the oceanfront aside from the aquarium, surfing in my wetsuit, riding bikes on the boardwalk, and walking the dogs. I would love new jobs for the area that are not reliant on defense spending. I would love currently empty hotels and restaurants (wasted capacity) to be packed in January bringing in more tax revenue and lowering my tax burden as a resident and homeowner in Virginia Beach. I would love to have an NBA team to go cheer for (NHL not as much, I like the Admirals just fine). And I think, contrary to many, that a recession where interest rates are at record lows is actually a good time to invest in things like this. But the devil will be in the details, and we are lacking details right now. I suppose if you wanted to propose a scenario, we could debate that scenario, but anything else is speculation.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:29 PM

5,580 posts, read 5,368,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Yeah, but 1200 jobs at a cost of $350 million to fund a half empty arena might not be a great idea. And that is still a possibility at this point. We don't know who is paying for what, projections are just projections, and there is no promise of a team. By the way, most of us do not work at call centers. Despite what most folks on here will tell you about the job market in HR, the median incomes for households is pretty good compared with national averages. Just because you don't want/have a government/contractor/tourism/healthcare/agriculture job doesn't mean that they don't provide a good quality of life for lots of people around here.

There will be lots to hash out in terms of funding. Will there be state money? Will the team (if there is one) be the VB somethings, the HR somethings, or the Virginia somethings? If the city, or the region, has to raise money to service the debt will there be new sales taxes, hotel taxes, property taxes, restaurant taxes? How will the revenue be split? It is all speculation at this point. Sessoms said it right at the meeting... we need to explore it and see if it works for us.

Sure, the idea sounds great... I would love to have some additional offseason activities at the oceanfront aside from the aquarium, surfing in my wetsuit, riding bikes on the boardwalk, and walking the dogs. I would love new jobs for the area that are not reliant on defense spending. I would love currently empty hotels and restaurants (wasted capacity) to be packed in January bringing in more tax revenue and lowering my tax burden as a resident and homeowner in Virginia Beach. I would love to have an NBA team to go cheer for (NHL not as much, I like the Admirals just fine). And I think, contrary to many, that a recession where interest rates are at record lows is actually a good time to invest in things like this. But the devil will be in the details, and we are lacking details right now. I suppose if you wanted to propose a scenario, we could debate that scenario, but anything else is speculation.
Good points as usual. The name of the team should reflect the city where the stadium is located, IMHO. What good would it be for Norfolk whatever to play in Virginia Beach? Name it the Virginia Beach .... because the initial deal was with Virginia Beach.

If the other cities want a team prefixed by the name of their city, let those cities build their own stadiums and put in the work to either bring a team here, or create a new team.

Personally, I don't see where the seven cities necessarily have to agree on one thing to go forward with anything. No one dealt with Norfolk when it came to The Tide; Virginia Beach should follow suit and handle this one on their own.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM

1,673 posts, read 5,529,127 times
Virginia Beach continues to pursue building a stadium and bringing the NBA to the area. This could be a boon to the area depending on the cost to build it.

Va. Beach quietly pursuing NBA team for arena | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,281,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Virginia Beach continues to pursue building a stadium and bringing the NBA to the area. This could be a boon to the area depending on the cost to build it.

Va. Beach quietly pursuing NBA team for arena | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
I think it is smart that the city is trying to get the help from the State to make this happen because I think if VB gets a pro sports team it will be with the help of the region and the state. Which if they do get one, the team should be called Virginia, not Virginia Beach.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,645,236 times
Why? Aren't basketball teams identified by the city their stadium is in?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Why? Aren't basketball teams identified by the city their stadium is in?
Not all of them are named after cities, Indiana Pacers, Minnesota Timberwolves, Utah Jazz, and Golden State Warriors are teams not named after the city they are in. Besides, I think it would be important for a pro team to identify itself as Virginia's team, not just Virginia Beach's team.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 AM

275 posts, read 762,936 times
To be honest, I think it's well known as an East Coast destination, but Virginia Beach still doesn't have the national notoriety of a city like Miami. A team would definitely help with the city's visibility, but for the most part, it would still have to be the "Virginia ___", which is understandable. Same reason the Destroyers went with a state name...if it were another minor league team, it would be different.

Plus, this region is unique in that one city doesn't define the area...for example, in Dallas, you have suburbs like Irving and Arlington, but they're still part of Dallas. Here, you have VB butting heads with Norfolk, and the other five cities wanting a piece of the pie. No one outside of here knows what Hampton Roads is, so "Virginia" makes the most sense. Besides, they want to incorporate Richmond into this, which is pretty smart.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,645,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Not all of them are named after cities, Indiana Pacers, Minnesota Timberwolves, Utah Jazz, and Golden State Warriors are teams not named after the city they are in. Besides, I think it would be important for a pro team to identify itself as Virginia's team, not just Virginia Beach's team.
I remember the Tides were called the HR Tides in the past, and had to change to the Norfolk Tides. I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Virginia XXX, but in reality there is no reason they should have to. Most people know where VA Beach is.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I remember the Tides were called the HR Tides in the past, and had to change to the Norfolk Tides. I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Virginia XXX, but in reality there is no reason they should have to. Most people know where VA Beach is.
I think they even called the Tides, the Tidewater Tides at one point too, I am sure I had or have a kids hat from back in the day that says that. If VB gets a pro team, I won't be complaining too much if they are called Virginia Beach or Virginia. Plus it is a smart idea to make everyone in Virginia feel like this is their team. It would also be a way to talk people from Richmond, NoVa, and the western part of Virginia feel as if the team is part of their state and encourage people to travel to go to see this team and spend money in Hampton Roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or