Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:17 AM

46 posts, read 239,409 times

Advertisements

Alright, well my friends and I decided to go "exploring" Portsmouth and Newport News the other night (around 3am) and a here's an outline of what we saw (bearing in mind that I was not driving around thinking about city-data, so I am recollecting from memory).

The lower numbered areas seemed to be pretty nice (I remember being on 16th street and it looked safe). Higher numbers (around the 40s?) were pretty shady. When we first pulled off the interstate we drove through some projects around Jefferson Ave. Nobody was hanging around outside (as I picture most projects) but obviously it didn't feel very safe or anything.

There was one street that was particularly bad - East Marshall Street. We were driving down one of Marshall's cross streets and a drug dealer waved us down and tried to sell us drugs. So, to escape the scene, we turned onto Marshall, and saw 5-6 prostitutes on the streets (mixed in with a few more dealers). Being curious teenagers, we drove down this street about 10 times - didn't really feel unsafe (given the circumstances, I mean) in our car, but definitely wouldn't have stopped.

This area was really bad, but was contained to about 2 blocks. From what I've read about bad areas of NN, I'm guessing it was on the east end, but we covered the entire city so I'm not really sure what's where. Besides this area of scuzzy looking houses, we drove through a lot of what appeared to be safe, quiet neighborhoods. All in all, it seems like a decent enough city with a bad section - like any other city.

One thing I will say though is Portsmouth had A LOT of police (we actually got trailed by one for a long time) and Newport News seemed to have none. We saw a couple that looked they were doing traffic stops, but for the most part, there weren't any around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 04:30 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkfloridasink View Post
Alright, well my friends and I decided to go "exploring" Portsmouth and Newport News the other night (around 3am) and a here's an outline of what we saw (bearing in mind that I was not driving around thinking about city-data, so I am recollecting from memory).

The lower numbered areas seemed to be pretty nice (I remember being on 16th street and it looked safe). Higher numbers (around the 40s?) were pretty shady. When we first pulled off the interstate we drove through some projects around Jefferson Ave. Nobody was hanging around outside (as I picture most projects) but obviously it didn't feel very safe or anything.

There was one street that was particularly bad - East Marshall Street. We were driving down one of Marshall's cross streets and a drug dealer waved us down and tried to sell us drugs. So, to escape the scene, we turned onto Marshall, and saw 5-6 prostitutes on the streets (mixed in with a few more dealers). Being curious teenagers, we drove down this street about 10 times - didn't really feel unsafe (given the circumstances, I mean) in our car, but definitely wouldn't have stopped.

This area was really bad, but was contained to about 2 blocks. From what I've read about bad areas of NN, I'm guessing it was on the east end, but we covered the entire city so I'm not really sure what's where. Besides this area of scuzzy looking houses, we drove through a lot of what appeared to be safe, quiet neighborhoods. All in all, it seems like a decent enough city with a bad section - like any other city.

One thing I will say though is Portsmouth had A LOT of police (we actually got trailed by one for a long time) and Newport News seemed to have none. We saw a couple that looked they were doing traffic stops, but for the most part, there weren't any around.
It's going to take MUCH more than one night to really see whats going on in a city or just in one area for that matter. I remember being in Compton, California for a day it was nice, nothing likeprojects you see on the east coast nobody was hanging out on the corner looked like a pretty decent city but in reality I know Compton is probably the worst place to be in the whole U.S. Point is, you really have to spend sometime in the area and with the people to really have an understanding of what really goes on there. There's nothing nice about 16st and below, AT ALL and really those are usually the streets that are known to be the worse. Spend the Summer in East End Newport News, I GUARANTEE your opinion will change.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:13 AM

28 posts, read 103,151 times
Default Take it from a Cop

If you would like to know the best areas in NN, what better person to hear it from then a Cop right? :-) Well, here goes. I don't know what you consider to be a "nice area" but I'll try to be general in my reply. A few nice areas:

* Hidenwood Area near CNU
* New Oyster Point Developments (Port Warwick & City Center Area)
* All areas off of/close to Victory BLVD/Oyster Point Road
* New developments off of Jefferson AVE. near Jefferson Commons
* Housing developments off of Denbigh Blvd TOWARDS YORK COUNTY :-)

There may be a few more nice pockets here and there but they are either very small or way too close to the "hood" to even risk having a nice house but coming outside to a broken window in your car. :-(

Hope this helped

Old 03-31-2008, 06:07 AM

361 posts, read 1,465,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwbagz21 View Post
If you would like to know the best areas in NN, what better person to hear it from then a Cop right? :-) Well, here goes. I don't know what you consider to be a "nice area" but I'll try to be general in my reply. A few nice areas:

* Hidenwood Area near CNU
* New Oyster Point Developments (Port Warwick & City Center Area)
* All areas off of/close to Victory BLVD/Oyster Point Road
* New developments off of Jefferson AVE. near Jefferson Commons
* Housing developments off of Denbigh Blvd TOWARDS YORK COUNTY :-)

There may be a few more nice pockets here and there but they are either very small or way too close to the "hood" to even risk having a nice house but coming outside to a broken window in your car. :-(

Hope this helped
I would also add the Hilton, Brandon Heights and Riverside areas, as well as Denbigh Plantation

Old 03-31-2008, 03:35 PM

46 posts, read 239,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
It's going to take MUCH more than one night to really see whats going on in a city or just in one area for that matter. I remember being in Compton, California for a day it was nice, nothing likeprojects you see on the east coast nobody was hanging out on the corner looked like a pretty decent city but in reality I know Compton is probably the worst place to be in the whole U.S. Point is, you really have to spend sometime in the area and with the people to really have an understanding of what really goes on there. There's nothing nice about 16st and below, AT ALL and really those are usually the streets that are known to be the worse. Spend the Summer in East End Newport News, I GUARANTEE your opinion will change.
well like i said, i was just sharing my one-night experience as it may be of some use to someone. we turned around at 16th, so we didn't see anything below that. is this part considered the east end? or is the area around marshall that i was speaking of?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJenni View Post
A previous poster was not impressed with Denbigh but we lived there (walking distance from he hospital) and loved it. It was very quite and we never saw police activity.
Denbigh on the Jefferson side near Mary Immacualte Hospital is much different than Denbigh on the Warwick side which really starts to get shady/bad as soon as you cross the interstate overpass from Jefferson Denbigh to Warwick Denbigh.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 PM

28 posts, read 103,151 times
The East End can be viewed generally anything south of Mercury BLVD. which encompasses about 70+ blocks at about anywhere to 15-20 blocks wide. Some would say the East End doesn't start until one crosses over the railroad tracks on Jefferson traveling southbound. And yes, Marshall is considered East End.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 9,590 times
Default newport news/moving east-end to denbigh

has anyone heard about donald trump investing in the east end waterfront ,but would only do so if the city builds sec.8 on the super k,hills in denbigh to remove people from the east end waterfront?

Old 08-30-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnsgirl View Post
has anyone heard about donald trump investing in the east end waterfront ,but would only do so if the city builds sec.8 on the super k,hills in denbigh to remove people from the east end waterfront?
this is 100% true..

Old 09-12-2008, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 13,990 times
I have lived in the SE Newport News most of my life. Just like every city, it has its ups and it downs. The murders have gone down in the past year. Yes you are going to have people who are doing crazy things. The Weed and Seed Program is doing pretty good also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area