Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 11:33 AM

73 posts, read 159,310 times

Advertisements

Having just moved to the area I am still unsure as to estimating driving time. I have an appt tomorrow morning in Hampton (Enterprise Parkway) and will be driving from the Chics Beach area of VB. Does anyone have a general idea of how long I should estimate for driving time if I need to be in Hampton for 9:30am? It looks like it is only about 25 miles from me. I was thinking of giving myself an hour - does this sound about right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbartley View Post
Having just moved to the area I am still unsure as to estimating driving time. I have an appt tomorrow morning in Hampton (Enterprise Parkway) and will be driving from the Chics Beach area of VB. Does anyone have a general idea of how long I should estimate for driving time if I need to be in Hampton for 9:30am? It looks like it is only about 25 miles from me. I was thinking of giving myself an hour - does this sound about right?
By 930am you should breeze through the tunnel and it should only take you 30-35min unless there happens to be an accident or something. I would leave an hour to be safe and make sure to check the traffic report in the morning.

Traffic Reports and Cameras for Hampton Roads, Virginia | WAVY.com

I work in that area and live in VB, I rarely encounter morning traffic going that way and I will go in anywhere from 6am to 9am depending on what is going on that week. It does occasionally happen, but 95% of days it is smooth sailing all morning. Enterprise pkwy set up kinda weird and is poorly marked so give yourself a little time to find the building if you are not familiar with the area.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:43 AM

73 posts, read 159,310 times
Thanks! Traffic was great heading over to Hampton (took us about half an hour), however I felt bad for the people driving the other way as they were backed up for miles - must have been an accident or something.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbartley View Post
Thanks! Traffic was great heading over to Hampton (took us about half an hour), however I felt bad for the people driving the other way as they were backed up for miles - must have been an accident or something.
I'm glad it worked out! Traffic sucks the other way in the morning, it is always backed up when I go in. Although it should have been clear by 9 so you are probably right about the accident.

In the afternoon traffic is terrible heading from norfolk to hampton, I see them backed up past 4th view on most days when I drive home.

Living on the Southside and working on the Peninsula really isn't bad, especially if your hours are flexible. I would not live on the Peninsula and work on the Southside though... I couldn't deal with those backups every day.

Let me know if you are gonna be making that commute on a regular basis, there are some shortcuts I can PM you that come in handy on those days when the tunnel is a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area