Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,234 times

Advertisements

I am a 29 year old male med student moving to Norfolk and would really appreciate some guidance as to where the best place for me to live would be. I am coming from New York City and have never been to Norfolk. I would prefer to be around the younger crowd where it is busier. Also, if anyone has information on what apartment complexes and things of that nature, I would really appreciate it. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on rent but wouldn't mind paying a bit more if it is safe, clean, and within walking distance from everything (bars, clubs, food, shopping, food shopping, etc). Any other tips and advice are more than welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
Ghent, although small by NYC measures, may be what you are looking for. It is a small urban enclave of bars, restaurants and some shopping. It is pretty small but walkable and has a pretty good vibe. Also, it is very close to EVMS if that is where you will be attending school. I can't speak for apartments as I have never lived but hopefully others here could. Good luck.

Ghent Business Association

Downtown Norfolk is also a pretty happening place for folks your age and is not too far from Ghent.

Downtown Norfolk

Old 10-11-2012, 03:27 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrContemplate View Post
I am a 29 year old male med student moving to Norfolk and would really appreciate some guidance as to where the best place for me to live would be. I am coming from New York City and have never been to Norfolk. I would prefer to be around the younger crowd where it is busier. Also, if anyone has information on what apartment complexes and things of that nature, I would really appreciate it. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on rent but wouldn't mind paying a bit more if it is safe, clean, and within walking distance from everything (bars, clubs, food, shopping, food shopping, etc). Any other tips and advice are more than welcome. Thanks!
Ghent would be a small, miniature taste of what you find in chic neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Norfolk in general, is a lot of different cities; a bit of Baltimore, a taste of Chicago, a feel for Cleveland, etc. It is about as "Northern" as it gets around here, though I get the same feeling in parts of Newport News.

Norfolk is not "a ton of money". You might pay $1,500 a month. There are some high end complexes, and the city started to build a lot more before the recession but if you're used to rent in New York you should be okay here. $40k a year goes a long way around here, it isn't working class, or working poor like it is in New York.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:36 AM

75 posts, read 91,651 times
Dr. Contemplate, my first thought on what you might want was Ghent, then I read the replies, both of which recommended Ghent as well. Still seems like the best bet, particularly if you will be attending EVMS, as it is within walking distance. Ghent reminds me a bit of a small, hip neighborhood lifted out of San Francisco.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 AM

275 posts, read 870,276 times
Definitely Ghent. I live there now, and it's a nice area. Quiet, friendly, very walkable, and a pretty vibrant nightlife with nightclubs. A lot of EVMS students live in the apartments there, or houses converted into units. Downtown Norfolk is about a 5 minute drive, and there's nightclubs and bars there too.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:28 PM

275 posts, read 870,276 times
For some reason, I can't edit my own post, but I wanted to add that you can find a 1 BR in Ghent for anywhere between $600-1000. Unlike other parts of Hampton Roads, a lower price doesn't necessarily mean the place is a dump; my apartment is a 2BR for $725, whereas others might go for $850 minimum. The price was lower because it's smaller, but I liked the unit itself.

In fact, my neighbor (who was also looking for a place) and I talked about how there's awesome places in town for $1000 or so, and there are some that are dumps. So, you can get a place that's fairly priced and actually looks nice, and even within walking or biking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area