Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:20 AM

275 posts, read 870,368 times

Advertisements

The Virginian-Pilot recently uploaded some pictures of the "Atlantic City" neighborhood c. early-60s. It's the area over near Norfolk General Hospital. Now the Red Cross, channel 13, and PETA are over there. From what I read, both AC and Ghent were less-than-desirable at that time, but revitalization efforts focused more on Ghent in the 60s and 70s.

Would love to see how different downtown would be now...I'm thinking something close to what Richmond has, with the row houses and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 PM

9 posts, read 49,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
If you look at historic photos of Norfolk, before the '60s, it totally resembled northern cities. From the photos I saw, it looked like a flat coastal Pittsburgh. Then the city leaders in their infinite wisdom decided to level downtown except for Granby St. Just imagine Granby extended over the entire downtown and beyond. Not just one street. That's what Norfolk looked like. It makes me mad every time I look at those old pictures of the city.
Granby St. was full of taverns and hookers back then,

Old 12-28-2012, 05:36 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
If you look at historic photos of Norfolk, before the '60s, it totally resembled northern cities. From the photos I saw, it looked like a flat coastal Pittsburgh. Then the city leaders in their infinite wisdom decided to level downtown except for Granby St. Just imagine Granby extended over the entire downtown and beyond. Not just one street. That's what Norfolk looked like. It makes me mad every time I look at those old pictures of the city.
How did this come about? It seems as though the city is trying to stretch downtown further into the neighborhoods now.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,784 times
http://nrha.photoshelter.com/gallery...0000LTi3iKSgOM

....cant really post pictures but go to the gallery section of this site and scroll/stroll through how Nawfuk used to look...I suggest the "Historical" section pictures #214 and #270-275...and the "Church Street" section.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 12-31-2012 at 01:41 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 12:53 PM

386 posts, read 986,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
http://nrha.photoshelter.com/gallery...0000LTi3iKSgOM

....cant really post pictures but go to the gallery section of this site and scroll/stroll through how Nawfuk used to look...I suggest the "Historical" section pictures #214 and #270-275...and the "Church Street" section.
Norfolk did resemble northern cities a lot after looking at many of the photos. Do you all believe that the city will ever get back to being as dense as it was in the 1950's era? I noticed that downtown appears to have expanded some in the past 5-10 years. Church Street looked drastically different in the old photos. It seemed about as dense as the downtown area at one time.

Last edited by Kbank007; 12-31-2012 at 01:06 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
I think it was a good move on Norfolks' part to put in the light rail from downtown to the major parts of the City. Can anyone imagine what Northern Virginia would look like now if the METRO was not built? I predict future generations will thank you guys for looking ahead instead of allowing developers the option of building
whatever they wish. Now, Virginia Beach is another story.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Norfolk did resemble northern cities a lot after looking at many of the photos. Do you all believe that the city will ever get back to being as dense as it was in the 1950's era? I noticed that downtown appears to have expanded some in the past 5-10 years. Church Street looked drastically different in the old photos. It seemed about as dense as the downtown area at one time.
I think it is important to understand the "history" of cities to understand why they are what they are and what makes them unique. For all intents and purposes Norfolk was/is a Mid-Atlantic city regionally and Mid-Atlanic/Southern by history/culture. I dont think it is so much that Norfolk looks like "northern" cities more than it is it just looks/looked like English-American-Colonial-Industrial era built cities...that is what Norfolk/Portsmouth/N.News/Richmond are. Notice some of the cobblestone laden streets with blocks and blocks of brick buildings with a HORSE and BUGGY riding down the main street. You would think that farm animals downtown was a rural thing (Southern?), yet NY had the same mode of transportation before and during the intro of the automobile. I had a friend from St. Louis tell me some parts of Norfolk remind him of St. Louis. Someone from Rocky Mount has told me it is like where shes from in Rocky Mount. Several places in Jersey look like VA, some can appear even MORE "rural/suburban" (Southern?) looking. When I went to Atlanta in 92 some of the brick buildings in Atlanta(the city) reminded me of Norfolk/HR with hills trees and no ocean. I think that the brick buildings stop when you get to Florida...I think they yield to/for a more "spanish" flair in architecture. I think that the different European ethnic group of influence, and ultimately the climate/weather, influenced places like Savannah, Charleston, and Florida.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:11 AM

26 posts, read 67,713 times
Default Excellent!

Quote:
I think it is important to understand the "history" of cities to understand why they are what they are and what makes them unique. For all intents and purposes Norfolk was/is a Mid-Atlantic city regionally and Mid-Atlanic/Southern by history/culture. I dont think it is so much that Norfolk looks like "northern" cities more than it is it just looks/looked like English-American-Colonial-Industrial era built cities...that is what Norfolk/Portsmouth/N.News/Richmond are. Notice some of the cobblestone laden streets with blocks and blocks of brick buildings with a HORSE and BUGGY riding down the main street. You would think that farm animals downtown was a rural thing (Southern?), yet NY had the same mode of transportation before and during the intro of the automobile. I had a friend from St. Louis tell me some parts of Norfolk remind him of St. Louis. Someone from Rocky Mount has told me it is like where shes from in Rocky Mount. Several places in Jersey look like VA, some can appear even MORE "rural/suburban" (Southern?) looking. When I went to Atlanta in 92 some of the brick buildings in Atlanta(the city) reminded me of Norfolk/HR with hills trees and no ocean. I think that the brick buildings stop when you get to Florida...I think they yield to/for a more "spanish" flair in architecture. I think that the different European ethnic group of influence, and ultimately the climate/weather, influenced places like Savannah, Charleston, and Florida.
Very true!

Old 01-01-2013, 11:15 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
True of a lot of cities in America. But for the purpose of C-D, "Northern" is just short hand for dense construction, dense infrastructure, and densely populated. Which it is clear, Norfolk/Portsmouth/Richmond were/are all of the above. Not to discount what you're saying, but we're just fighting the ignorance that there are indeed some Southern cities that share those same traits, just that your average person may not realize this.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
True of a lot of cities in America. But for the purpose of C-D, "Northern" is just short hand for dense construction, dense infrastructure, and densely populated. Which it is clear, Norfolk/Portsmouth/Richmond were/are all of the above. Not to discount what you're saying, but we're just fighting the ignorance that there are indeed some Southern cities that share those same traits, just that your average person may not realize this.
Oh I get what you are saying about what people are "meaning to say" by saying "Northern", thats the problem. The average person doesnt really know what they are talking about. You are right, we ARE fighting ignorance. Generalizations and stigma clouds peoples judgement of reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area