Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,986 times

Advertisements

Amtrak now has service in Norfolk, and this is great news for people that use the train. Can easily take the train up from Charleston, Sc to Norfolk and play cards in the train on the way, but the train goes up to Richmond first!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,837 times
We have taken the train from Williamsburg to DC and New York City numerous times. My only complaint I wish it was faster. The ride from Williamsburg to DC takes 3.5 to 4 hours. In the Northeast from Baltimore to NYC the trains run 130+mph in VA its as slow as 35 to 40 mph due to track conditions. Of course not having to worry about the traffic on I64 and I95, 495 is priceless.

My ultimate wish would have been for a rail connection from Norfolk to Newport News. (maybe in conjunction with the new crossing ?) I know it would have been costly but that seems to make so much more sense than running a train up the 460 corridor to Petersburg where no one lives.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 AM

359 posts, read 759,141 times
I'm glad you came in to post this news for those who might've missed. I was on my way to do the same. Hopefully the travel conditions don't make for a slow ride. According to the Pilot, "$114 million in state-funded infrastructure improvements and track upgrades between Norfolk and Richmond" took place ...

For those interested (like me) on how expensive it is to create anything anymore:
Why $1 Billion Doesn't Buy Much Transit Infrastructure Anymore - Commute - The Atlantic Cities

Old 12-12-2012, 12:32 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Amtrak now has service in Norfolk, and this is great news for people that use the train. Can easily take the train up from Charleston, Sc to Norfolk and play cards in the train on the way, but the train goes up to Richmond first!!
Going to Richmond first isn't necessarily a bad thing though. Doesn't the line out of Newport News hit Richmond first?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:01 PM

72 posts, read 232,218 times
I have been thinking about taking a train up to DC. We are stationed at Langley. Is is safe/clean for a family with young kids (4 and 7). I have never taken Amtrak before.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieBlue View Post
I have been thinking about taking a train up to DC. We are stationed at Langley. Is is safe/clean for a family with young kids (4 and 7). I have never taken Amtrak before.
I never took it either. Where I grew up we didn't have a line coming through town. I was intrigued though that it came into Newport News, even more so now that it has come into Norfolk.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:17 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,986 times
But, all my friends, I am coming up from the South, so I don't want to go up to Richmond! I want to stop in Norfolk! What's up!?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
But, all my friends, I am coming up from the South, so I don't want to go up to Richmond! I want to stop in Norfolk! What's up!?
Amtrak website still states you have to take the bus from Newport News to Norfolk. Not sure when they'll change this information (or if this truly is the route you'll take).

Old 12-14-2012, 09:18 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieBlue View Post
It's very clean and safe indeed. Might be a little pricey for a large family. I use Amtrak all the time in the Northeast, mostly from NJ to Boston, DC, Albany, or Philly. Lots of business travelers. I'm looking forward to taking a train down to Norfolk instead of driving or (gods forbid) flying. I'd recommend packing a lunch. The food in the cafe car is a bit pricey and not very good.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Norfolk is on a cul-de-sac. To get to Norfolk you have to get off the "main line" in Richmond and take the spur down to the dead end in Norfolk.

I can't find a map with the Norfolk link on it yet, but it runs parallel to the little spur to Newport News in this map: http://twoweekstotravel.com/wp-conte...kSystemMap.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area