U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,581 posts, read 5,390,012 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

I think Ghent could make a very nice mid-rise neighborhood in Norfolk. I know that much of Ghent is mid-rise already, but I am referring to, specifically, a continuation of the development out on 21st, if that area is indeed considered Ghent. I know its not the Ghent most people know or think of. I would like to see another five to ten mid-size complexes built around that area, to give it some density and an actual skyline.

Where you can't get high-rise development in Norfolk, I think there is a lot of potential for serious mid-rise development. You can get an urban feel in the sense of Baltimore, DC, Brooklyn, Bronx, etc. as opposed to Manhattan, which Norfolk is not in a position to build or sustain with the current economy. I'm not sure any area in Hampton Roads can at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2013, 02:45 AM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,024,731 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I think Ghent could make a very nice mid-rise neighborhood in Norfolk. I know that much of Ghent is mid-rise already, but I am referring to, specifically, a continuation of the development out on 21st, if that area is indeed considered Ghent. I know its not the Ghent most people know or think of. I would like to see another five to ten mid-size complexes built around that area, to give it some density and an actual skyline.

Where you can't get high-rise development in Norfolk, I think there is a lot of potential for serious mid-rise development. You can get an urban feel in the sense of Baltimore, DC, Brooklyn, Bronx, etc. as opposed to Manhattan, which Norfolk is not in a position to build or sustain with the current economy. I'm not sure any area in Hampton Roads can at this point.
21st is indeed Ghent and is the shopping area of that neighborhood. There is 201 Twenty One although it is not as tall as the Harbor Edge building in Fort Norfolk. Ghent is already built and dense, there is little to no space left unless youre talkin about knocking down some of the businesses already on 21st. I dont even think 21st can handle all that traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM
 
275 posts, read 763,836 times
Reputation: 144
I live in Ghent, and the area near 201 Twenty One is a bit hectic during the day. I like the density (it does kinda have the potential for a Brooklyn/Bronx feel), but traffic in that area is ridiculous in the daytime. I think they're putting another apartment near the old Blockbuster, and that could add a little density.

The whole Ghent area as a whole was clearly built by 1960s or '70s standards (Hampton Blvd. is still only four lanes, and most other streets are still just two lanes).

Unfortunately, I don't think there's room to expand any of the roads there. The only street that is suitable IMO is Olney Road. Colley Ave. is a pain in the a** throughout most of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 11:07 PM
 
3,849 posts, read 7,596,058 times
Reputation: 1977
The issues in doing that is the majority of land in Ghent is owned by just a handful of people, you have a lot of single family residential which is opposed to mid/high rise development and it's also surrounded by ghettos. The only people that would consider new development would be those way up on 21st (around the area where 201 Twenty One is) and that is practically in the ghetto itself.

Add in that some owners (for example, the owner of the Center Shops) don't even live in VA, much less Ghent itself, and you have no real motivation for them to redevelop something that is already making them substantial profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,581 posts, read 5,390,012 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
The issues in doing that is the majority of land in Ghent is owned by just a handful of people, you have a lot of single family residential which is opposed to mid/high rise development and it's also surrounded by ghettos. The only people that would consider new development would be those way up on 21st (around the area where 201 Twenty One is) and that is practically in the ghetto itself.

Add in that some owners (for example, the owner of the Center Shops) don't even live in VA, much less Ghent itself, and you have no real motivation for them to redevelop something that is already making them substantial profits.
It sounds like this is an issue of gentrification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,581 posts, read 5,390,012 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
I live in Ghent, and the area near 201 Twenty One is a bit hectic during the day. I like the density (it does kinda have the potential for a Brooklyn/Bronx feel), but traffic in that area is ridiculous in the daytime. I think they're putting another apartment near the old Blockbuster, and that could add a little density.

The whole Ghent area as a whole was clearly built by 1960s or '70s standards (Hampton Blvd. is still only four lanes, and most other streets are still just two lanes).

Unfortunately, I don't think there's room to expand any of the roads there. The only street that is suitable IMO is Olney Road. Colley Ave. is a pain in the a** throughout most of the day.
Road expansion doesn't seem to accomplish anything positive in Hampton Roads. Just more traffic and more congestion. Would a major push for implementing light rail in Ghent accomplish anything? The way things are now that would require elevating the line as there is no room underneath, or would that never happen because of the slums surrounding Ghent that people would not want to ride through in order to get to Ghent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 06:02 PM
 
3,849 posts, read 7,596,058 times
Reputation: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
It sounds like this is an issue of gentrification.
Somewhat. The problem is that the ghetto areas of Norfolk are so large that it's going to take a long time to chip away and gentrify them. Look at Downtown, it's still not up to par and it's been in the gentrification process for decades now. Additionally, there are still large areas of undeveloped land in other cities. It's much easier to buy large chunks of land and develop from scratch then to redo a big area.

So long as developers continue doing that it will be another obstacle for not only Ghent but Norfolk as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,581 posts, read 5,390,012 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Somewhat. The problem is that the ghetto areas of Norfolk are so large that it's going to take a long time to chip away and gentrify them. Look at Downtown, it's still not up to par and it's been in the gentrification process for decades now. Additionally, there are still large areas of undeveloped land in other cities. It's much easier to buy large chunks of land and develop from scratch then to redo a big area.

So long as developers continue doing that it will be another obstacle for not only Ghent but Norfolk as a whole.
Sort of how we got Town Center to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top