Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:53 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times

Advertisements

Report: Sacramento Kings eyeing move to Virginia Beach - The Early Lead - The Washington Post

As a former HR resident, this makes me smile. It will be good to not have to watch Wizards games all the time!

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:07 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
I'm a former resident as well. My big question is how come they didnt put this in the Pembroke area? That does make sense to me. There is only one way in and out of the beach. The Pembroke area is exploding and is a lot closer for a light rail extension. VA Beach has the best government and money-backers to support it so that makes sense but the location, ehhhh. Regardless, I will support a Virginia team every day of the week, especially Basketball!

Old 08-23-2012, 01:40 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,015 times
Not happening, sorry.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:47 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
I think that it would be advantageous, for both the potential team and the viability of the light rail line, to put this stadium along the planned extension.

I have to admit though, I can't see them being named the Virginia Beach Whatevers. I think they would have to be like the T'Wolves and just go for being named after the entire state. I'm not sure that HR or VA in general is quite cohesive enough to recreate what happened in OKC absent the team being a representative of the entire state. Plus there's two NBA markets in very close proximity.

Pistola, why do you assume this? No one really has a good idea of what has been discussed behind closed doors.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:04 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Probably won't happen but if for some reason it does move forward it's a terrible idea, unless they privately fund the entire thing and receive no tax credits in return. It has been proven that publicly funded sports complexes do not bring back the economic uptick that is promised.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
I'd rather football myself, but Idon't see that happening either. I didn't see a locaton for the stadium. Where would it be?

Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Pistola, why do you assume this? No one really has a good idea of what has been discussed behind closed doors.

A couple of things:

1) The season is two months away. No way the NBA would allow a team to move. The NBA Board of Governors would need to sign off on the relocation.The deadline has passed. The earliest the Kings could move is for the 2013-14 season. The Maloofs would have to file first for relocation next March and get approval from the BOGs, which David Stern has stated many times that any relocation would most likely be voted down.

2) Virginia Beach doesn't have a modern arena, neither does Sacramento but Sacramento is a proven market. Two of the longest sellout streaks in NBA history belong to the Kings. Although fan attendance has been poor over the past 5 seasons, it is largely because the owners are not investing in the team. The product on the court is BAD, coupled with the Maloof's poor PR move when they pulled out of a downtown arena agreement. The Maloffs have pissed off a lot of people including Sacramento and David Stern. Stern is on Sacramento's side.

3) Sacramento's media market is ranked 19th in the nation, compared to Virginia Beach's 40-something. Sacramento metro is larger than Virginia Beach. Yes--the Seattle Supersonics left for a smaller unproven market in Oklahoma but the owner (Clay Bennett) is from Oklahoma City, so a move was inevitable. The Maloofs aren't from Virginia Beach.

4) The Maloofs are flat out broke. For them to move they would have to pay 200-300 million just so they could move. 75 million to the City of Sacramento and 150-250 million to the NBA. They don't have that kind of money.

I'm not saying the Kings will never leave Sacramento. I don't think it will be to Virginia Beach. If they are going to move my best bet would be Seattle, Anaheim, Kansas City, and Cincinnati.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:37 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I'm a former resident as well. My big question is how come they didnt put this in the Pembroke area? That does make sense to me. There is only one way in and out of the beach. The Pembroke area is exploding and is a lot closer for a light rail extension. VA Beach has the best government and money-backers to support it so that makes sense but the location, ehhhh. Regardless, I will support a Virginia team every day of the week, especially Basketball!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I'd rather football myself, but Idon't see that happening either. I didn't see a locaton for the stadium. Where would it be?
They are going to build the Comcast Arena across from the Convention Center. Presumably in the parking lot. I agree Town Center should be stimulated more. However, Town Center is more commercial. I had always advocated building a City Hall down at the intersection of Independence & Va Beach Blvds. Then Hampton Roads should form a cooperative regional government (Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, and Virginia Beach form Tidewater County but still keep their separate school districts and police forces) but have the Municipal Center off of Princess Anne serve as the headquarters of the regional government. But that is my opinion.

I understand why they are building the arena near the convention center. Town Center will already be a draw for light rail traffic. However, Virginia Beach has bigger plans for a hotel complex near the convention center and entertainment complex at the site of the old geodesic dome. The arena would be only a 1/2 mile walk from the beach. The Town Center is great, but with an arena and entertainment district, the Oceanfront would arguably become the pre-eminent entertainment district of the east coast, second to perhaps only Manhattan and maybe DC. I have always thought the Oceanfront was a much better coastal strip than Miami Beach; it's just not warm year around. But 41 games in an arena during the cold months and the entertainment district at the old dome site would bridge the gap for the hotels and businesses that are underserved during the off season. Why require the construction of a bunch of new sprawl when the Oceanfront already has these structures in place?

Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
A couple of things:

1) The season is two months away. No way the NBA would allow a team to move. The NBA Board of Governors would need to sign off on the relocation.The deadline has passed. The earliest the Kings could move is for the 2013-14 season. The Maloofs would have to file first for relocation next March and get approval from the BOGs, which David Stern has stated many times that any relocation would most likely be voted down.

2) Virginia Beach doesn't have a modern arena, neither does Sacramento but Sacramento is a proven market. Two of the longest sellout streaks in NBA history belong to the Kings. Although fan attendance has been poor over the past 5 seasons, it is largely because the owners are not investing in the team. The product on the court is BAD, coupled with the Maloof's poor PR move when they pulled out of a downtown arena agreement. The Maloffs have pissed off a lot of people including Sacramento and David Stern. Stern is on Sacramento's side.

3) Sacramento's media market is ranked 19th in the nation, compared to Virginia Beach's 40-something. Sacramento metro is larger than Virginia Beach. Yes--the Seattle Supersonics left for a smaller unproven market in Oklahoma but the owner (Clay Bennett) is from Oklahoma City, so a move was inevitable. The Maloofs aren't from Virginia Beach.

4) The Maloofs are flat out broke. For them to move they would have to pay 200-300 million just so they could move. 75 million to the City of Sacramento and 150-250 million to the NBA. They don't have that kind of money.

I'm not saying the Kings will never leave Sacramento. I don't think it will be to Virginia Beach. If they are going to move my best bet would be Seattle, Anaheim, Kansas City, and Cincinnati.
The size of media markets have become irrelevant in the 21st century as it pertains to NBA teams. All recent moves have been to small markets. NBA owners do not want to share attention in their cities with more lucrative franchises, especially NFL teams. In the 21st century, it is all about state of the art arenas next to entertainment districts that receive trickle down income from fans spilling out of arenas and fill the purses of cities with tax revenue made off of sales in local businesses and developers. Yes a new arena can be built (or has been built) in Seattle, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, or Cincinnati. But that requires stuff already making money for the city to be torn down. And if the stuff getting torn down is worthless, then the downtown of these areas is probably in pretty bad shape, dangerous, and not a place families would want to hang out in after dark. Markets such as OKC and Virginia Beach are completely virgin territory.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
the Oceanfront would arguably become the pre-eminent entertainment district of the east coast, second to perhaps only Manhattan and maybe DC. I have always thought the Oceanfront was a much better coastal strip than Miami Beach; it's just not warm year around. But 41 games in an arena during the cold months and the entertainment district at the old dome site would bridge the gap for the hotels and businesses that are underserved during the off season.
Say what?!??! I'll have whatever you're having!!! LOL!

Not even taking any other city into consideration, you think VA Beach is better than MIAMI BEACH? When was the last time you were there, 1901??

Sorry, but VA Beach isn't anywhere even remotely close to Miami Beach (which might I point out also has a basketball team right next door, they're called the Miami Heat. You might have heard of them )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area