Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:11 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,490,929 times

Advertisements

I saw this on the news and thought I would post it. According to WTKR, VB has more high-speed speeders than anywhere else in the state. I can't tell you how many times I've had people zip by me going at least 80 on Hwy 264. If you are caught you may end up in the slammer. So what are your thoughts?

Speeding in Virginia Beach could land you in the slammer | WTKR.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 AM

203 posts, read 474,411 times
My thoughts are the same as I expressed on these stories on the news sites. It's really a simple thing. If you don't want a speeding ticket or to go to jail, it's simple. DON'T SPEED!!! Everyone is always in such a rush and only worrying about what they need to do. Until people start actually caring about their fellow man, things will never change. How many stories on fatal accidents end with, "speed was a factor." That means the person was speeding before they killed themselves or the other person. Slow down, leave earlier, don't text and drive, don't drink and drive. Actually give a dern about your fellow drivers on the road.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,280,371 times
Clocked at 107? Really? I find that very, very hard to believe.

It seems likely that there are some corrupt judges in VA Beach who are most likely getting kickbacks for sending people to jail. Common sense tells anyone with half a brain that putting someone in jail for the weekend does nothing to help improve their driving- mandatory driver improvement classes with suspended jail time would be a much better direction to go in.

80 is really not that fast. There are speed limits set at 80 in other parts of the country. For 264 the limit should probably be 70 simply because of the worse than third world country condition the road is in.

Now, the majority of drivers around here are terrible. Really awful. The snow last week highlighted just how bad they are. Common sense tells anyone with half a brain that you don't tailgate, slam on your brakes, brake for no reason, etc. on ice! You don't have to have a 4WD vehicle to drive on snow and ice, just use your brain! Buuuuttttt, jail for speeding, again, does not solve the problem. It is another reason to stay out of that corrupt cesspool they call Virginia Beach, though.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:47 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,490,929 times
I think the lack of police presence on 264 hurts too. I've driven this road plenty of times and rarely have I seen with any continuity any law enforcement cruising around. Compare this to 64 between Greenbrier and Indian River. Just now I saw 3 cop cars hanging out. Most folks know to slow down in this area and I think it probably helps quite a bit. 264 has a disadvantage as there is no median for the cops to hang out and catch some of these extreme speeders.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:22 PM

275 posts, read 867,547 times
The old toll plaza just before Rosemont is the State Police hangout, and I've seen the occasional cop in the median near First Colonial.

But yeah, it gets really weird once 264 splits near Newtown Rd., although for good reason (the interchange). I'd be lying if I said I wasn't guilty of going 80 a few times, but I've promised myself I'd work on that (before this story broke ). This is all the more reason. It's just not that important, and I wish more people would start saying the same.

This area couldn't handle a 70 mph speed limit on 264. It's way too congested and too short of a road IMO. 60 at most...maybe 65, and that's pushing it.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:58 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,531,551 times
I have a solution. Don't go more than 10 - 15 over, and you won't have to worry about it.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 PM

524 posts, read 398,112 times
In most states a police officer has the option to arrest you if you are going more than 15 over the speed limit, most choose not to. In my critical mind I have a suspicion that something like this would have more to do with increased revenues, after all, Hampton Roads always needs more tax dollars!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 AM

107 posts, read 218,535 times
Dont speed and you dont have to worry about it.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,040,151 times
I hate driving on our interstates so much for some of the very reasons mentioned in this thread.

This is the first state I've ever lived in where the interstate highways are in such horrible conditions. I don't feel that even 70 is safe out there. Hit one of those holes or cracks at that speed and you could end up bouncing all over the road. Tailgaters irritate me to the point that I've caught myself slowing down just to make them slow down.

I agree with the others about not speeding in the first place, but I have to admit I think 55 is too slow. 60 or 65 might be safe but not much more than that. I know that some of you feel like you can travel at 80 or faster but I think that tends to ignore 'the other guy' and what may or may not happen up ahead. I thought that was part of driving defensively... prepare and be aware of what might happen ahead because it'll affect you too.

I've often wondered what could be important enough to need to zip along the highways at 80 or higher?

Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,280,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
I hate driving on our interstates so much for some of the very reasons mentioned in this thread.

This is the first state I've ever lived in where the interstate highways are in such horrible conditions. I don't feel that even 70 is safe out there. Hit one of those holes or cracks at that speed and you could end up bouncing all over the road. Tailgaters irritate me to the point that I've caught myself slowing down just to make them slow down.

I agree with the others about not speeding in the first place, but I have to admit I think 55 is too slow. 60 or 65 might be safe but not much more than that. I know that some of you feel like you can travel at 80 or faster but I think that tends to ignore 'the other guy' and what may or may not happen up ahead. I thought that was part of driving defensively... prepare and be aware of what might happen ahead because it'll affect you too.

I've often wondered what could be important enough to need to zip along the highways at 80 or higher?
Hi Lily!

The roads around here really are terrible. The pothole epidemic that came up this past week is a prime example. It's embarrassing!

55 is far too slow. I'd be okay with 65. I think if people actually paid attention to the road everything would be a lot better; for example, slower traffic keep right! Hang up the phones and quit the texting (enforce those rules, too) and I bet things will improve quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area