U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 PM

10 posts, read 13,483 times

Advertisements

My partner and I will be moving to Norfolk from Houston in May 2013. He will be working at ODU and I'm pretty much semi-retired. I've read several pages of this forum and most people recommended Ghent as a good/nice neighborhood. From what I've read Ghent is in downtown within walking distance of clubs, restaurants, etc.

We are in our mid 30s but we are homebodies. Not into clubs, theatres, and we only go out to eat once a week.

I would like to know if there are other nice neighborhoods that is between ODU and Costco. We love Costco and we go there at least once a week. Currently we're paying $1600/mo rent for a 2 bd room in Houston (apartment is about 8 years old). We have Costco, CVS, Target, Safeway within 10 min radius. It's a pretty quiet and safe neighborhood. It takes my partner about 20 min from our current apartment to his university. Would love to be able to find similar neighborhood in Norfolk at similar price range.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 09:52 PM

153 posts, read 313,613 times
I'd still recommend Ghent. Most of the neighborhoods closer to Costco aren't great, although some are OK. Ghent is close to ODU and getting to Costco isn't too bad.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,422,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin0h View Post
My partner and I will be moving to Norfolk from Houston in May 2013. He will be working at ODU and I'm pretty much semi-retired. I've read several pages of this forum and most people recommended Ghent as a good/nice neighborhood. From what I've read Ghent is in downtown within walking distance of clubs, restaurants, etc.

We are in our mid 30s but we are homebodies. Not into clubs, theatres, and we only go out to eat once a week.

I would like to know if there are other nice neighborhoods that is between ODU and Costco. We love Costco and we go there at least once a week. Currently we're paying $1600/mo rent for a 2 bd room in Houston (apartment is about 8 years old). We have Costco, CVS, Target, Safeway within 10 min radius. It's a pretty quiet and safe neighborhood. It takes my partner about 20 min from our current apartment to his university. Would love to be able to find similar neighborhood in Norfolk at similar price range.

Thanks for your help!
ODU is one of those inner city colleges where the campus itself is great and an entirely different city from the surrounding neighborhood, which is the ghetto. If they were to build up the surrounding neighborhoods, I would recommend it, but as such, Ghent is the safer option.

To be honest, if walkability to national chain stores/pharmacies is the issue, outside of Ghent, only other neighborhood in Norfolk I could think of that has this off hand would be somewhere along Little Creek or perhaps Military out by Janaf/Military Circle. There isn't a lot of walkability to chain stores in Norfolk (though there is to smaller mom and pop stores, etc.), not even in downtown Norfolk, as most of the action there is local as well. Norfolk isn't big on the chain stores at all; Norfolk and Portsmouth have them, but those are more smaller, local businesses like what you would find in New York. If you want chain stores, Virginia Beach and Chesapeake would be more your speed, as those are more desired in those areas. Norfolk has other options, even in Ghent, though the part of Ghent along 21st and Monticello is more mixed-use/lifestyle center-ish than the part closer to ODU.

If you can afford $1,600 a month, you won't have that far to walk/drive to a nationwide store/pharmacy anyway.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,615,013 times
I would go for Ghent. You'll be close to work and it will suit you fine. (Once a week dining out here is a lot)

Keep in mind that you will most likely be renting something significantly older in Ghent.

What department will he be working in?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 AM

10 posts, read 13,483 times
Thank you for your input.

I have googled newly built apts in ghent and I came up with

201 W21st

201 Twenty One Apartment Rentals | norfolk

or Monticello Station

Monticello Station | Apartments for Rent in Norfolk, VA

From what I can see on the map, I prefer 201 W 21st since its farther from the water (I read on this forum about flooding issues in Norfolk). But some ppl on this forum have said that 201 W 21st may not be safe since its next door to salvation army and homeless center?

If any of u guys have lived in either one of these, I would love to know your experience. I've also read Ghent Village's good reviews, but it's built in 1981.

So I think these 3, r the ones we'll check out when we visit Norfolk in March. If u guys have other suggestions, pls let me know.

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 AM

136 posts, read 356,501 times
Quote:

From what I can see on the map, I prefer 201 W 21st since its farther from the water (I read on this forum about flooding issues in Norfolk). But some ppl on this forum have said that 201 W 21st may not be safe since its next door to salvation army and homeless center?

If any of u guys have lived in either one of these, I would love to know your experience. I've also read Ghent Village's good reviews, but it's built in 1981.

So I think these 3, r the ones we'll check out when we visit Norfolk in March. If u guys have other suggestions, pls let me know.

Thanks!
I'm not sure how you got the Salvation Army being near Ghent, because it's at least 5 miles away, near Virginia Beach. Same with the Rescue Mission. There is a halfway house or two near Ghent, but they are small and you wouldn't even notice them unless you were a NIMBY type. Of course the homeless people do occasionally come out in Ghent, but only because Ghent shoppers are usually a soft touch.

As far as flooding, well, pretty much EVERYWHERE in Norfolk has some flooding issues. There are flooding zone maps online for Norfolk, but I can't find one at the moment.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,422,712 times
Quote:
Thank you for your input.

I have googled newly built apts in ghent and I came up with

201 W21st

201 Twenty One Apartment Rentals | norfolk

or Monticello Station

Monticello Station | Apartments for Rent in Norfolk, VA

Thanks!
Anything against 80s construction? Might actually be better quality, I wouldn't dismiss it for that reason alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or