U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 5,251 times

Advertisements

We will be moving back to HR this August (and very happy about it!). Since hub will be @ NewNews SY, we are thinking of living in Western Branch or northern Suffolk, or anywhere else that'd be a short coummute to the SY and is safe/has OK schools (older son will be in K at least while were still stationed there).

I am looking into daycares and preschools in the area for my sons who will be 3 yrs & 12 months when we move.

What preschools are know to be good around there? Do any preschools in that area have longer hours (ie, more than 9-12 or 9-3), or if I need care longer than that will daycare be my only choice?

Anyone know about the Montessori Prep school in Portsmouth?

What daycares? I see there are two Kindercares, two La Petites, a Children's Harbor (Suffolk) as a start.

We are open to anything. There would be great convenience to having them both in the same place, but I don't want to compromise what the 3 year old might learn. I'd really like it to be a bit beyond basic counting, the alphabet and learning colors (unless that's really all kids do in PK3!- then I need to realize that!). I'd love to send to him to a Montessori but I only know of that one in the area. But I guess I'm looking for that something sort of special/extra in a preschool. I went to a Montessori as a kid PK-2nd grade and loved it.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 03:40 PM

368 posts, read 797,874 times
I usually recommend mothers new to the area join penninsulamommies.com for information about area schools, but, since you're looking to live southside, I think you'd be better off with hamptonroadsmommies.com. Both are free on-line forums for area mothers. Penninsula Mommies helped me out a lot when we first moved to the area.

Good luck--Hampton Roads is a great place to live!

HamptonRoadsMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community

Old 02-09-2013, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,251 times
Thank you!!! I'm sure that'll be a great resource!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:30 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,635,104 times
NNSY is getting ready to take a big hit with budget cuts. I hope your job is safe. There are several Montessori schools around here. Just google for them.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:06 AM

689 posts, read 1,323,766 times
BacktoHR -- I always use this site as a starting point. Any licensed facility in VA will be on here, and unlicensed facilities can be posted, as well. I check all their violations. Some I don't care as much about, but if a site can't seem to run background checks on their employees, repeatedly, I want to know. You can search by county or city, and their contact info is all on here, as are their hours. It's a great resource just to see what your options are. Child Care - Search for a Facility - Virginia Department of Social Services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area