Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 AM

11 posts, read 25,462 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am so exciting to have found this forum!! I have a few questions I would love your opinions, advice & experiences shared on!

About us:

I’m a single mom with two kids (ages 17 & 19). We want to leave IL - our area is very depressed & the things we are interested in pursuing just aren’t here.
We want to move to VA! The main reasons being the HISTORY, (we are reenactors). Me & my oldest would love to work around the history; Colonial Williamsburg, other living history sites, battlefields, muesums, etc. There are so many history related opportunities in VA - we are are still learning about them!
The ocean & mountains are a plus as well – Virginia is beautiful and would be a fresh start for us all.

We are planning to visit the general Williamsburg area this summer, and do some research. I have one very good friend who lives out there. I think we would have to start by renting, it wouldn't need to be anything fancy. Not sure if it's possible to find, but close $1,000 rent per month or less would better for our budget.

Questions:

AREAS: If Williamsburg is too expensive to live in, we are thinking of Toano, Charles City, Providence Forge, Lanexa or Barhamsville, because they are fairly close to Williamsburg for driving. What is your opinion of these areas?

JOBS: Me & my oldest will need to have jobs right away, and this is what I am a bit worried about. How do I get a job in another state when I can’t just hop on a plane for every interview? Do I just move out there with everything I’ve got and work to find something quickly? Or do I find a way to have something lined up before I get there?

Other concerns:
TRAFFIC: What is the traffic like in and around these areas? I do not want to sit in hours of stand still traffic every morning to go to work.
COST OF LIVING: We are used to Midwest prices. What is the average price of gas out there? What are some of the things we should consider?

I should make it clear we do not want to live in the heart of a big busy city, with people on top of us – but rather a smaller town just outside of it, for quieter (and more affordable) living.

Thank you for reading! If you have done a move like this before, or are familiar with South Eastern VA, please give me your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area