Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,337 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a safe place to live thats not too expensive. Our budget is around $1000 but we are willing to pay more if need be. He loves the suburb feel im a bit more urban and dont have any kids so im not concerned about schools. I would like to get a dog though. Coming from Richmond and the surrounding areas I know how big of a difference in crime a few miles can make, Ive grown up in the ghetto but I dont wish to live there anymore I just wanna feel safe when Im out and about alone since my hubby works a lot. His job is in Chesapeak a small commute is fine. Im not a fan of historical buildings I think im looking for more of house or a townhouse. Any suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 04:15 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,220,896 times
My suggestions: (1) Live on the same side of the water that your husband's job is on. Commuting through a tunnel on a daily basis is not recommended.

(2) You can sign up for something like this to check on crime:

Chesapeake, VA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Chesapeake - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

I get a daily report from this website regarding crime reports within a short distance of where I live.

Good luck on your move, your husband's job and finding a place!

Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,155 times
Hello!
First, I would like to say that Hampton Roads is a great place to live in terms of safety.
A few suggestions:
-Don't regularly go into Portsmouth/Norfolk unless you need to. Portsmouth is unsafe living-wise, and Norfolk isn't bad, but is somewhat unsafe in specific areas.
-Since you are on a low budget, look into townhouse living, as rent is regularly below $1200/month.
-If and when you have children, this is the perfect place for them to get a great education, as Hampton Roads has a few extremely successful education systems, such as VBCPS.
-Commuting in a tunnel is not recommended. Look for bridges or other ways of transportation if you can not live on the same side of the Elizabeth River. If possible, check to see if your husband's job is east of the Elizabeth River, if so, you can look for houses in either VB or Chesapeake.
-Virginia Beach and Chesapeake both have low crime rates, so it is safe.
-Specific parts of both cities are particularly unsafe in specific parts (Chesapeake/Portsmouth border, VB/Norfolk border)

Good luck on your move!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:05 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Where in Chesapeake will he be working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area