Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 12,817 times

Advertisements

Is John B Dey Elementary/Great Neck Middle/Cox High the best school district in VA Beach? On paper it's standardized test scores look great. But does anyone have any first hand experience with the district? We have a big family and want to move to the VA Beach neighborhood with the best public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 12:44 PM

73 posts, read 474,865 times
I don't know about the elementary/middle schools, but Cox High School is a desirable school district to live in. Those neighborhoods can be pricey though.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:13 PM

8 posts, read 43,101 times
Yes those are the better schools, and by the way they are located in the "nicer" area of town. Most of the schools in VB are good/great. And yes, it is very very pricey in the Great Neck section.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:39 AM

6 posts, read 58,162 times
I hear that Princess Anne HS is good as well...(one of my close friends went there). Cox HS is very good but the neighborhoods are VERY expensive! I'm not too sure about the elementary schools though...

Old 12-19-2006, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 28,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatompkins View Post
Is John B Dey Elementary/Great Neck Middle/Cox High the best school district in VA Beach? On paper it's standardized test scores look great. But does anyone have any first hand experience with the district? We have a big family and want to move to the VA Beach neighborhood with the best public schools.

Hi there to find out about our local schools just visit our local website...

www.vbschools.com

In my opinion, Kellam HS is the better school. Landstown Middle is very good too, and Christopher Farms Elementary is GREAT! Be of luck!

Last edited by LMH7707; 12-19-2006 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: because

Old 02-06-2007, 09:02 PM

24 posts, read 131,835 times
Default Hope this helps....

Here is a great website that was given to me.....

www.schoolmatters.com

Old 02-19-2007, 10:36 AM

201 posts, read 905,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatompkins View Post

Please make sure you are wealthy before putting your children in these schools. Most housing that goes to these schools is very high priced already, but there are a few pockets of working class people that happen to go there.

I used to stay in a townhouse off Reagan Avenue for about 3 months when I went to middle school (Great Neck), and they made my life a living hell. Every kid there has the best and newest everything, and if your kid doesnt, he/she will stick out like a sore thumb, and will get ribbed endlessly or just simply shunned on a good day. Its not like its just the "popular kids" or the handful of big mouthed rich kids, like in most schools. Pretty much everyone is in the "big mouthed rich kids" club, and you will never crack that without material well being.

Ive been to both poor, ghetto schools, and Cox district schools, and I seriously cant tell you which is worse, living in fear every day you go to school, or going through the whole snoody rich outcast deal.

So, academically, yeah that district is elite, and the education is good. Unfortunatley, with my experience, I was driven to faking sick and trying to skip school so often trying to avoid the ridicule, that I didnt really get a chance to experience it much. You should keep this in mind before making a decision.

Alternatively, both Princess Anne and First Colonial are excellent academic high schools, and have a more diverse student body.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:19 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,553 times
I'm an FC grad and of course I think it's the best. Both my folks were public school teachers so while I wasn't hurting I certainly didn't drive a new car...my brother and sister and I borrowed my Pop's '74 suburban (this was in the mid 80's)....what I'm trying to say is don't let having to rub elbows with rich folks keep your kids from receiving a great education. Teach your kids to be proud of who they are....there are plenty minority kids, etc., who will be from very lean backgrounds. For what it is worth the real wealthy kids all go to Cape Henry Collegiate or Norfolk Academy, they wouldn't be caught dead slumming with public school trash, LOL!

The schools in Va. Bch are some of the best public schools to be found anywhere in the Southeast, if not the country.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:31 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,840,120 times
cox school district are very sought after, but I agree with the poster who said to check out kellam high school district (includes Princess Anne Middle, Princess Anne elem., christopher farms elem., strawbridge elem, etc) as they are very sought after as well and there is affordable housing in the district. Go to www.greatschools.net and do some school comparisons.

if you Moderator cut: Realtor solicitation

Old 05-04-2007, 02:21 PM

93 posts, read 391,321 times
I'm a former Cox Grad, and yes, those schools are some of the best in the county. Great Neck neighborhoods are some of the best as well, as I practically grew up there. Christopher Farms/Kellam is also a nice school and some well to do neighborhoods around there. I also have very good words for Catholic High School, as this is a private school, but some great kids/teachers there. Star of the Sea catholic schools is wonderful, too. Also take a look at Princess Anne Elementary, down there near the Courthouse, which is also good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area