U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2013, 11:25 AM
 
42 posts, read 52,267 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for reading this.
Im 63 and a retired computer guy, my girlfriend is 57 and an ortho nurse. We now live in Western PA and have vacationed in Virginia Beach for years.
At one time we had a dream of retiring in Virginia Beach, around the Chicks Beach - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel areas but the property prices, traffic, and for lack of a better term, decline in civility, are directing us to other areas.
I'd submitted another post For Delaware last year; someone suggested I check out the Wilmington area,which we did.
I forgot that years ago when I was a field engineer doing contract work in Hampton. Since it's just across the bay perhaps I should check it out.,

Our concerns/wants are: Safe area, reasonable property pricing, reasonable access to healthcare, And a sense of community. (the dream of course is a small cottage or beach house - youve guessed it- by the beach)
We have a small dog and a grandson who would visit from time to time. Our health is for now excellent, but some type of transit system would be nice to fall back on.
Not into partying but my girlfriend would like a small area to grow flowers, I would like to throw away the snow shovel.
Housing could be a 2 bedroom condo or detached home. Again on or near the water would be great.
Weve done our share of drywall, plumping, roofing, electrical, and windows, so rehabbing is o.k. for us. Foreclosures are o.k, as our budget is limited.
We have some money saved but would need to work at least part time so an area close to a hospital for her and computer / business community for me would be good.
Appreciate any ideas / experience.
Tony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2013, 11:21 PM
 
3,849 posts, read 7,071,207 times
Reputation: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydisk View Post
Our health is for now excellent, but some type of transit system would be nice to fall back on.
I'm glad you thought of this because often times when I read these retirement posts I tell people to make this one of their top considerations but it falls on deaf ears. I guess people don't understand that they may not be able to drive all their life, and if they can't drive, in many parts of the country they will royally be up a creek without a paddle.

The transit in Hampton Roads is dismal. There is Hampton Roads Transit which is the regional transit authority; however, all their power is derived from each city, thus if a city decides they no longer like what HRT is doing they are free to tell them to go to...

Suffolk did this not too long ago. They simply decided they would no longer participate in HRT and thus all routes were pulled from the city.

I would look at other areas. The transit situation here is not going to improve any time soon (HRT may very well be insolvent in two years) and it really is so important as you age to have reliable transportation, unless of course you want to live at the mercy of someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 08:12 AM
 
42 posts, read 52,267 times
Reputation: 22
Coconut1,

Thanks for your reply.
We stayed in the city overnight,don't think it's for us.
We'll keep exploring!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 12:17 PM
 
3,849 posts, read 7,071,207 times
Reputation: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydisk View Post
Coconut1,

Thanks for your reply.
We stayed in the city overnight,don't think it's for us.
We'll keep exploring!!!
You're welcome!

What is your housing budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 01:45 PM
 
5,161 posts, read 6,840,865 times
Reputation: 5318
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydisk View Post
Coconut1,

Thanks for your reply.
We stayed in the city overnight,don't think it's for us.
We'll keep exploring!!!
Hampton has really went downhill in the last 10 years. I don't blame you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2013, 02:17 PM
 
42 posts, read 52,267 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
You're welcome!

What is your housing budget?

150k or less

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 PM
 
3,849 posts, read 7,071,207 times
Reputation: 1970
Ehh, tough budget, Tony! I would actually look along the Jersey shore, especially along the NJ Transit Coast Line. You could probably find something within your budget there, close to the line and are at least then a short jaunt away from the city for necessary things like good health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 11:53 AM
 
42 posts, read 52,267 times
Reputation: 22
Epilogue , bought somewhere else, thank you for your replies!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2017, 06:16 PM
 
112 posts, read 58,883 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydisk View Post
Epilogue , bought somewhere else, thank you for your replies!!!!
Good move. Hampton is abysmal. Just my two cents. (lived in this area for 41 years, in Hampton for 10). I hope you found a wonderful place that's safe and happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
4,830 posts, read 4,571,434 times
Reputation: 2433
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydisk View Post
Thanks in advance for reading this.
Im 63 and a retired computer guy, my girlfriend is 57 and an ortho nurse. We now live in Western PA and have vacationed in Virginia Beach for years.
At one time we had a dream of retiring in Virginia Beach, around the Chicks Beach - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel areas but the property prices, traffic, and for lack of a better term, decline in civility, are directing us to other areas.
I'd submitted another post For Delaware last year; someone suggested I check out the Wilmington area,which we did.
I forgot that years ago when I was a field engineer doing contract work in Hampton. Since it's just across the bay perhaps I should check it out.,

Our concerns/wants are: Safe area, reasonable property pricing, reasonable access to healthcare, And a sense of community. (the dream of course is a small cottage or beach house - youve guessed it- by the beach)
We have a small dog and a grandson who would visit from time to time. Our health is for now excellent, but some type of transit system would be nice to fall back on.
Not into partying but my girlfriend would like a small area to grow flowers, I would like to throw away the snow shovel.
Housing could be a 2 bedroom condo or detached home. Again on or near the water would be great.
Weve done our share of drywall, plumping, roofing, electrical, and windows, so rehabbing is o.k. for us. Foreclosures are o.k, as our budget is limited.
We have some money saved but would need to work at least part time so an area close to a hospital for her and computer / business community for me would be good.
Appreciate any ideas / experience.
Tony.
If you want the beach your only real options are Hampton, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach. And they're all expensive. Its not going to be as cheap as Western PA. You should be able to find cheap foreclosures in Norfolk. If anything that is the most affordable way to buy in the area as Norfolk is not cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top