Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:06 AM

29 posts, read 115,966 times

Advertisements

Im taking my son to a week long camp in Norfolk. I'm driving down from Boston and my wife and daughter have decided to turn this into a family vacation. They are looking to stay somewhere near a beach as I will have the car every morning. Virginia beach is peak season so the decent hotels are sold out and cost a fortune for meager accommodations. Are there other beaches within driving distance of Norfolk worth considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 03:59 PM

203 posts, read 476,709 times
Well, Norfolk has Ocean View Beach. There are some beaches in Hampton. Could always camp at Seashore State Park right on the beach!!! they have some cabins too.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:49 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Have you looked into Sandbridge?

Old 06-16-2013, 08:27 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr View Post
Im taking my son to a week long camp in Norfolk. I'm driving down from Boston and my wife and daughter have decided to turn this into a family vacation. They are looking to stay somewhere near a beach as I will have the car every morning. Virginia beach is peak season so the decent hotels are sold out and cost a fortune for meager accommodations. Are there other beaches within driving distance of Norfolk worth considering?
Staying on the beach itself is quite expensive. Oceanview doesn't have many hotels; most of what you'll find out there is more of a residential type of situation where people just live in the hotels/motels because the few there are actually that cheap. Oceanview isn't a tourist spot at all. Neither is Buckaroe in Hampton.

It is always cheaper to stay in the actual city, than to stay in the tourist areas. The tourist areas are overpriced anyway. There are decent hotels that aren't on the water; Virginia Beach has good hotels in the Town Center area and Norfolk has good hotels downtown. The motels spread throughout both cities are okay, not as good as the hotels obviously, but they are an affordable alternative. Norfolk is pretty decent near the airport, which isn't that far from Oceanview.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:49 PM

Thanks guys, I'll check out some of these others. Wife says she doesn't care if it's not on a beach. To the person who suggested camping........... you're one brave soul. Camping to me means I have to plug in a wire to get internet. Camping... for a week.... with a 7 and 8 year old ..... I cannot think of a more appropriate description of hell

Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
It's been a LONG time since I've dealt with activities that might interest children, but maybe some of this might help. Since you're going to have the car at camp, here's a link to some activities in Norfolk. I hope this helps.
Kid friendly Activities for Norfolk, VA kids - Trekaroo

If your wife and kids need to take a bus somewhere, it may or may not be available depending on where you stay. The website for Hampton Roads Transit will give you information on fares, schedules and routes.
- Hampton Roads Transit - Our mission is to serve the community through high quality, safe, efficient and sustainable regional transportation services.

As for lodging, I have to recommend this website. It's become my new go-to favorite for finding short-term rentals. You never know, you might find something you like.
https://www.airbnb.com/

Other links regarding area activities that you might want to take a look at:
Festevents
Welcome to Norfolk Convention & Visitors Bureau
Visting Norfolk, VA - Things to do, entertainment, events, places to stay.

And don't forget the Norfolk Zoo
Virginia Zoo in Norfolk

I'm sure others can come up with more or different recommendations. I hope you find something for your whole family. Have fun and enjoy your vacation!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
We're headed for the Gracie Camp too.

I wanted to rent a private home thru Militarybyowner or airbnb but the boys insisted on a hotel pool.

We booked a marriot downtown today as a) The WaPo travel team screamed Book Fast-Prices will rocket and b) the Marriot Custy Service chick said she has a way high uptick for that week but she didn't know why

The Norfolk Downtown hotels we concidered were:
Norfolk Waterside Marriot $224
Sheridan Norfolk Downtown $120
Courtyard Marriot $115

We've stayed at the VB Westin Before and loved it but its 180 a nite.

Since we don't deal with any tunnels, we'll have a great time.

Check out [url=http://www.captaingeorges.com/]Captain George's Seafood Restaurant[/url]. Awesome.

I adore HR. Wish we could move there!

See you at Camp!

Old 06-17-2013, 03:35 PM

Nice guess on the camp we're going to leighland! You booked ...the $224 Marriott? I don't see another. My wife also insists on an indoor pool in case it rains. I was trying to find a place with indoor and outdoor pool (I hate indoor pools, I'm a lay in the sun with a frozen mudslide sort ) but only place I could find was The Founders Inn and Spa which just had some really strange reviews.... overall the rating was decent but there were enough bad reviews that I was turned off.

I also tried VRBO and homeaway (As well as airbnb)

I will see you and your boys at the Gracie camp!

Edited: This one? Courtyard by Marriott?
Courtyard Norfolk Downtown
520 Plume Street, Norfolk, VA 23510

Last edited by robr; 06-17-2013 at 04:10 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 03:45 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Check the Norfolk airport Hilton they have an indoor pool if I remember correctly. It's not a huge pool, but it'll do in a pinch.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:19 PM

Ok, wife has me reconsidering Founders, so we are down to Courtyard Norfolk or Founders Resort and Spa. They are about the same price (free parking at Founders I believe).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area