U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:01 PM

62 posts, read 162,266 times

Advertisements

Hi, I lived in VB years ago, but am now considering a move from FL to Norfolk. I would be most interested in the Ghent area. Can anyone tell me which sections of Ghent flood? I'm not so worried about hurricanes, but the winter nor'easters that bring so much rain.

Also, if you have info on getting to the hospital from Larchmont, edgewater, etc. in those flooding situations. Seems to me I remember an underpass on Hampton Blvd that floods regularly.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 10:36 AM

1,277 posts, read 2,648,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator girl View Post
Hi, I lived in VB years ago, but am now considering a move from FL to Norfolk. I would be most interested in the Ghent area. Can anyone tell me which sections of Ghent flood? I'm not so worried about hurricanes, but the winter nor'easters that bring so much rain.

Also, if you have info on getting to the hospital from Larchmont, edgewater, etc. in those flooding situations. Seems to me I remember an underpass on Hampton Blvd that floods regularly.

Thanks for any info.
The simple answer is all of it....Larchmont edgewater and Ghent neighborhoods still flood along with most major intersections around Norfolk. Hampton Blvd from the bridge south to the underpass at 21st street is normally impassable in heavy rains or the tide is high due to storms.
The underpasses dont do that bad unless power goes out also as they are controled by pumps...you loose power the pumps cant work....The pumps dont work...well Norfolk has a new swimming pool until the power kicks back on..... Downtown is just as bad as you have to remember that much of Downtown Norfolk was built on fill dirt many years ago and much of the pipes are still the old wooden pipes so they are hard to replace so they end up tearing up the whole street to replace a complete section of the pipe as ring collars dont work very good trying to put a new concrete pipe on a old wooden pipe...These areas normally flood just on higher than average tidal water and then if you add rain to the mix you do have major problems which can last for hours if not days..Colley Ave, Hampton Blvd and Brambleton Ave around the hospital still looks like a lake when the heavy rains arrive......So the bottom line is it has not changed from how you remember it years ago............

Last edited by rtandc; 11-08-2007 at 10:45 AM..

Old 11-08-2007, 01:46 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,523,922 times
If you haven't tried the No Frills Grill in Norfolk, that is a MUST TRY!!! My son was in Sentera hospital and we use to walk there to eat and the food was AWESOME!

Old 11-08-2007, 02:09 PM

2,041 posts, read 2,461,090 times
I live in the Ghent area of Norfolk and it can flood really bad here. I live next to Smith's Creek and the end of our street floods everytime it rains and you can't even use the roads around our house at times. When hurricane Isabelle hit our area a few years back a lot of cars were submerged underwater at both ends of our street. We parked our cars in one of the garages downtown during the storm........ and thankfully we did.

What does the No Frill Grill have to do with flooding??? hehe! They do have good food though!

Old 11-08-2007, 05:05 PM

Default question for emeraldgirl...

Since you live in Ghent, you may be familiar with a few of the houses we are looking at. One is on Graydon, between hampton and colley, another on Brandon in w. ghent and a couple in ghent square. Are we in danger of flooding in these areas? Are there any areas in ghent that we'd be safe from flood damage?

Thanks for the inside information. I'm sure our realtor will tell us they are all fine.

ps.... is smith creek also known as the hague at mowbray arch?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:55 PM

662 posts, read 1,379,410 times
Quote:
Since you live in Ghent, you may be familiar with a few of the houses we are looking at. One is on Graydon, between hampton and colley, another on Brandon in w. ghent and a couple in ghent square. Are we in danger of flooding in these areas? Are there any areas in ghent that we'd be safe from flood damage?

Thanks for the inside information. I'm sure our realtor will tell us they are all fine.

I spent a few years there but I'm not completely familiar with the terminology of Smith Creek. But the Hague was horrible for flooding when I use to live at the towers just off the banks of it. The parking lot would flood, Chrysler Hall Musuem parking lot would flood, Olney would flood. I just took the car to a parking garage near the YMCA on Brambleton. The area closer to ODU and Graydon, and West Ghent aren't as bad right around hospital. Only a few spots on Colley were really bad, especially at this one red light ... I'm sure you'll be able to pick out the exact spot when you're on Colley. But other than that, all of that drains off pretty quick and gets funneled out into the ocean unless it's high tide. I'm also betting there's been a lot of $$ invested to keep those areas from flooding.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:

Yes, I guess I should have described it as the Hauge area. The other areas in Ghent that you mentioned seem to not flood as bad as the area close to the Hauge. I remember parking my car one time when we had a Tropical Storm at a friends house that lived off Colley and it was fine. I have had friends that lived on both Graydon and Brandon and they never really seemed to have a huge problem w/ flooding.

p.s.... I am moving from Norfolk to NW Florida at the end of November - are you familiar with that part of the state? You can PM me with any info seeing that this question is off topic! Just thought I'd ask since you are moving from FL! Thanks!

Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
Only a few spots on Colley were really bad, especially at this one red light ... I'm sure you'll be able to pick out the exact spot when you're on Colley.
I know the intersection of Colley and Princess Ann floods pretty bad.

Oops - I realized that I spelled Hague wrong! Sorry!

Old 11-09-2007, 07:13 PM

Default princess anne and colley

Is that at an over/underpass?

Emeraldgirl, I am not to familiar with NW FL. Do you mean Tallahassee, Pensecola, etc? There is a beautiful beach area called Destin that has sand that is just like sugar!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Is that at an over/underpass?

Emeraldgirl, I am not to familiar with NW FL. Do you mean Tallahassee, Pensecola, etc? There is a beautiful beach area called Destin that has sand that is just like sugar!
We are actually moving to Ft. Walton Beach which is right next to Destin! My Fiance and I just fell in love with the area! The most beautiful beaches I have ever seen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area