Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:59 PM

9 posts, read 86,242 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am being job transferred to VB in spring 2008. I currently live right outside of Washigton, DC, in Mitchellville, Maryland -- an area that is mostly comprised of sensible, hard working, middle class blacks who at least pretend to know how to act.

I would like to know what areas specifically in Virginia Beach are similar? That is, SAFE neighborhoods that welcome blacks, and where the blacks make themselves welcome by virtue of their class, sensibility, and work ethic.

I should also mention that the crime rates publically reported for Mitchellville, Maryland are skewed to keep the home values in nearby Montgomery County, Maryland seemingly greater than in Mitchellville (their competition). That said, LOW CRIME and SAFETY is extremely important to me. I can afford $1000 per month on rent, or $200K to buy.

Thanks a bunch!

(BTW, I am black. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,890 times
Trying to think but VB is very much an intergrated community (actually I heard one of the most in the US but don't know that for a fact). Most blacks, whites, hispanic, etc live beside one another. Perhaps someone more familiar though could direct you.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Trying to think but VB is very much an intergrated community (actually I heard one of the most in the US but don't know that for a fact). Most blacks, whites, hispanic, etc live beside one another. Perhaps someone more familiar though could direct you.
That is good to know! I like integrated neighborhoods, that's how I grew up living in the Maryland suburbs. Thanks so much for responding.

Shari

Old 11-14-2007, 06:59 AM

201 posts, read 905,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briggs.shari View Post
Hi,

I am being job transferred to VB in spring 2008. I currently live right outside of Washigton, DC, in Mitchellville, Maryland -- an area that is mostly comprised of sensible, hard working, middle class blacks who at least pretend to know how to act.

I would like to know what areas specifically in Virginia Beach are similar? That is, SAFE neighborhoods that welcome blacks, and where the blacks make themselves welcome by virtue of their class, sensibility, and work ethic.

I should also mention that the crime rates publically reported for Mitchellville, Maryland are skewed to keep the home values in nearby Montgomery County, Maryland seemingly greater than in Mitchellville (their competition). That said, LOW CRIME and SAFETY is extremely important to me. I can afford $1000 per month on rent, or $200K to buy.

Thanks a bunch!

(BTW, I am black. )

For 200k, the best you are going to find is housing in the worst parts of Virginia Beach. There are a number of townhouses in the Lake Edward section for under 200k, which is probably one of the worst neighborhoods in the whole region, forget about just Virginia Beach. You could probably find some smaller houses in Magic Hollow, Green Run or Oceana for that, all of which are seedy at best for Virginia Beach, although they could probably be considered somewhat ok for somebody coming from a worse city overall. For instance, somebody coming from Baltimore or Detroit would probably consider these some of the safest neighborhoods theyve ever seen. There are a few neighborhoods along Virginia Beach Blvd and Independence that are questionable but under that 200k. The only neighborhoods Id consider good, you wouldnt find a house under 200k unless it was an outright wreck.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:01 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,219 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks a bunch!

(BTW, I am black. )
You do have some largely black neighborhoods in Va Bch and you also have some largely white neighborhoods also but most are a mixture of all races and everyone seems to get along...Sure you will have a few families here and there that have to show the hate but I guess you will find that everywhere....Va Bch does have a gang problem...not just black gangs but white gangs and hispanic gangs also so it is smart to know their territory especially if you have kids
Having only 200K will be a problem in this area as most houses are well above that average especially where most people consider the area safe with low crime.....You might have better luck trying to find a rental until you learn the area and decide on if you want to buy or not in a certain neighborhood....The market is flat right now so you might be able to find a rent to own type of deal for around a grand a month in a few of the lower priced neighborhoods or something in the condo/townhome areas but be perpared because in Va Bch most apartments rent for that much and much more....

Old 11-14-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal_Poison View Post
For 200k, the best you are going to find is housing in the worst parts of Virginia Beach. There are a number of townhouses in the Lake Edward section for under 200k, which is probably one of the worst neighborhoods in the whole region, forget about just Virginia Beach. You could probably find some smaller houses in Magic Hollow, Green Run or Oceana for that, all of which are seedy at best for Virginia Beach, although they could probably be considered somewhat ok for somebody coming from a worse city overall. For instance, somebody coming from Baltimore or Detroit would probably consider these some of the safest neighborhoods theyve ever seen. There are a few neighborhoods along Virginia Beach Blvd and Independence that are questionable but under that 200k. The only neighborhoods Id consider good, you wouldnt find a house under 200k unless it was an outright wreck.
Thanks for letting me know that VB's worst/seedy areas are in my price range. For 200K, I can easily buy a condo in a nice area of Montgomery County (one of the nation's richest counties) here in the DC area, so I find it shocking that VB doesn't have similar areas.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
You do have some largely black neighborhoods in Va Bch and you also have some largely white neighborhoods also but most are a mixture of all races and everyone seems to get along...Sure you will have a few families here and there that have to show the hate but I guess you will find that everywhere....Va Bch does have a gang problem...not just black gangs but white gangs and hispanic gangs also so it is smart to know their territory especially if you have kids
Having only 200K will be a problem in this area as most houses are well above that average especially where most people consider the area safe with low crime.....You might have better luck trying to find a rental until you learn the area and decide on if you want to buy or not in a certain neighborhood....The market is flat right now so you might be able to find a rent to own type of deal for around a grand a month in a few of the lower priced neighborhoods or something in the condo/townhome areas but be perpared because in Va Bch most apartments rent for that much and much more....
Really? Hmmm...I've found tons of 1BR apartments for under $1000 in VB, specifically Banyan Grove at Towne Square (where I'm already approved). They even gave me six weeks of free rent. Hoorah!

I am disappointed that the housing prices in VB are higher than 200K. I will probably end up buying in Chesapeake, since the two cities are so close. I've checked the commute times and it will definitely work for me. I am also happy to know that HR neighborhoods are happily integrated. Thank you much for your response.

--Shari

Old 11-15-2007, 04:56 AM

46 posts, read 239,433 times
As someone who lives in the Green Run district and attends GR High School, I can tell you that the "gang problem" here (at least in this area) is extremely exaggerated.

Basically, these are kids who really want to be in a gang, as a result of gang glorification in entertainment, but other than that, have no reason to. As someone mentioned above, the houses cost at least $200,000, they aren't living in the projects or anything. So, a group of friends form a "gang" and name it something (Young Gunnaz or Bang Squad, for example). They sprawl gang graffiti on the bathroom stalls. Other than that, they get high with each other and have each other's backs if something happens to another. They don't walk around with guns...they don't control any drug trade. They are more like groups of friends that call themselves a gang.

This is not to say we have NO gang problems here or anywhere else in Virginia Beach. I cannot be an absolute authority, as I am affiliated with no gang. But, from the view of an outsider, there is no problem. Had I not heard the "Gang Run" (as the locals affectionately call it) rumors before enrolling in school, I would have been shocked at any claim mentioning a "gang problem"

That said, it is an extremely diverse area, and I like it a lot. Coming from a rather affluent (and white) Nebraska suburb, this is a new thing to me. Everyone seems to get a long very well. My school demographics is very diverse - as a white person, I am in the minority, but everyone gets along with everyone for the most part.

And yes, it is very expensive here. The average salary here does not match the cost of living (but I think this can be said of most tourist areas).

Honestly, I don't really like the area. Has too many big city problems (traffic, cost of living) without the perks of a true big city. But, as far as diversity goes, I couldn't be happier.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:45 AM

201 posts, read 905,982 times
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know that VB's worst/seedy areas are in my price range. For 200K, I can easily buy a condo in a nice area of Montgomery County (one of the nation's richest counties) here in the DC area, so I find it shocking that VB doesn't have similar areas.

I think the reason why so many upper end communities are accessible to the "middle class" in Northern Virginia/DC is because they have an awful lot of those mixed development inititiatives up there. What they do is base building permits on the contractor building similiar houses for different price ranges, in the same area. This is likely what you are referring to up there.

In the Hampton Roads area, there is little to none of that. The new houses being popped up are all 300k McMansions.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:56 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,219 times
Quote:
Really? Hmmm...I've found tons of 1BR apartments for under $1000 in VB, specifically Banyan Grove at Towne Square (where I'm already approved). They even gave me six weeks of free rent. Hoorah!

I am disappointed that the housing prices in VB are higher than 200K. I will probably end up buying in Chesapeake, since the two cities are so close. I've checked the commute times and it will definitely work for me. I am also happy to know that HR neighborhoods are happily integrated. Thank you much for your response.

--Shari
glad you have found an apt...you didnt state what type of housing your were looking for but I figured at was a single family house since you stated you had 200k to spend......There are condos out there for under 200K....but I guess it is really what you are looking for....My wifes sisters daughter...wow that was a mouth full is getting married and she and her soon to be husband have been looking at buying a 2 bedroom condo and I do know they have not found a whole lot in that price range that they like.. They are trying to stay in Va Bch. The few that they have liked either have super high condo fees or dont allow pets or only has parking for one car etc....With the housing market flat right now you should see more condos start being built in that price range again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area