Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,575 times

Advertisements

Hello, the family and I just got orders to Little Creek. Looking for a nice home to rent (or possibly buy) while there. Curious on the best school district, safe nice area with newer homes. BAH is E-7 with dependants. Preferably within 45 minutes commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 01:56 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
I walked by this yesterday with my dogs:

4493 PISSARRO DR, Virginia Beach, VA 23456

Old 09-07-2013, 01:58 AM

Looks nice... Thanks

Old 09-08-2013, 02:52 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Not a problem!! It's a great neighborhood. Not entirely sure what age your kids are, but I went to Salem High School and really feel like I had many great teachers who cared about me and my education. In fact, some of my friends now teach there and have told me it has gotten better since we have been there. I graduated in 2004, was involved in many activities there, and I received a scholarship to James Madison University after attending Salem.

The homes there are very nice, but built in the 80s. Some are updated, some still look 80s inside, haha. The neighbors are friendly and it's not too far from 64 which will be good for when you travel to and from Little Creek.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times
There's some nice middle class, safe neighborhoods right near Little Creek. You could even ride your bike to Little Creek from some. I know because I used to do it when I was a kid! I lived in Lake Shores throughout middle and high school, which is so close I could hear Reveille in the morning. Definitely look there, although most homes were built in the late 50s/early 60s, so it's a bit older than most of VB. In addition to Lake Shores, look at:

Thoroughgood
Lake View Shores
Lake Smith Terrace
Gardenwood Parkway
Chic's Beach
Church Point

All of them are very close to the base, and have a decent mix of old and new homes.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:14 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
DO NOT move to Norfolk if you plan to put your children in public schools!!!! Your best bet is to look in Virginia Beach around the northern end of Independence if you want to be really close to the base, or look for schools zones for Cox and Kellem HS.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:05 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
DO NOT move to Norfolk if you plan to put your children in public schools!!!! Your best bet is to look in Virginia Beach around the northern end of Independence if you want to be really close to the base, or look for schools zones for Cox and Kellem HS.
While I agree that the best bet if you want to be as close as possible to the base is in VB around North Independence (which all the neighborhoods I listed earlier are), but don't rule out an entire city because of schools if you can find what you're looking for there. Norfolk's public schools have a bad repuation, and deservedly so in some cases, but I know MANY people who went through Norfolk's schools without the slightest issue and are now putting their own kids through those same schools. It's not ALL bad they way some folks make it seem.

To the OP, my point is don't generalize entire cities (or buy into those generalizations) based on reputations or stereotypes, especially since you are moving to a new place and need information that is as accurate as possible. This of course goes for sweepingly positive statements about places too. Just a heads up, is all.

But back to the topic, VB schools are typically better than most of the neighboring cities. This does not mean that VB schools are without problems. As a graduate of Bayside High, I can tell you that definitely isn't the case. Even still, I never had any problems personally and would be perfectly fine with sending my own children there. Cox and Kellam are decent schools on paper, but ask some of the teachers or students what they think and you'll hear about "druggies" and "snobby rich kids" undoubtedly. Again, doesn't mean it's the whole school or that the possibility of the problem being exaggerated doesn't exist. Just want to paint an accurate picture for you.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:08 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
I am a teacher, and my friends are teachers in several local districts. That's where I get my info about schools.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:49 AM

Thank you all for the replies and info. We were looking at Lynn Haven Shores, how is that area?

Old 09-26-2013, 08:14 AM

6 posts, read 12,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theredmanfamily View Post
Thank you all for the replies and info. We were looking at Lynn Haven Shores, how is that area?
Lynn Haven shores is ok, but I will tell you that it takes me 15 minutes to get from Indian River Road which is on the other side of VA Beach towards chesapeake to Little Creek. In the afternoon however it can be tricky because at certain times like all bases traffic gets nuts but even then its 30 minutes if its bad. Every city will have good and bad areas like other have said. Portsmouth gets a bad rep for being such a terrible place and even Norfolk but if you look at certain areas its really not all that bad. I have been here for 8 years and am now getting out as an E7 with a family so I understand you want to make sure your in a good area for your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area