Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:32 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,175 times

Advertisements

Anyone see the CNN Money story about the ten places to retire? Norfolk is listed as #10. I do not live in Norfolk, but am in Newport News. I've visited Norfolk. I don't think it will be on my list of places to consider for retirement.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/retirem...neymag/10.html

Last edited by TN Lily; 10-28-2013 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Not finished with post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 10:17 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
Default Slamming HR

You obviously do not like the HR area, quite evident in your prior posts
. We relocated here in the mid 2000's from California and find it remarkably congenial, a breath of fresh air in this homogenized country.
I note TN in your password, if TN stands for Tenessee then perhaps the green green, grass of home would suit you better, why torture yourself by remaining here?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Oh media world! Please don't inform the world about the hidden gem of HR.. AHHHRRGGG! So difficult to keep such a great place a secret!

Poquoson- please stay in your Mom's basement. When you pop up your head to express your ill-informed opinion, your RedVines and comic books pop outta your front Hulk T-shirt pocket

Old 10-28-2013, 01:12 PM

I fail to see how saying Norfolk is not in my list of places I would want to retire to is "slamming" the whole region. Of all the places I have lived in Virginia, this is my least favorite. And if you've read my posts, you also know I've said good things about the area too. I would probably like this area a whole lot more if a was a "water person" into boating and other water sports. I am sure this place is heaven for those who love its many waterways and shorelines and all that they offer.

Not everyplace is for everyone. Sometimes a person lives in their less than ideal location over a job.

Thank you, Leighland for your post.

Last edited by TN Lily; 10-28-2013 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-28-2013, 06:51 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
I wouldn't pick Norfolk either, but there is access to healthcare which is a plus as a senior.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:00 PM

Default bitter?

Leighland, your sarcasm in the first sentence is profound but I suggest your sophomoric insults in the next line(s) be sprinkled with a little bit of logic, they so came screaming out of left field...fyi, my parents passed away years ago and never had a basement....lets put our big boy/girl pants on and keep all this on an adult level.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:31 PM

TN Lily, my apologies for not addressing your comment, the other poster grabbed my attention. I do realize that circumstances warrant living in places less than personally desirable, hopefully you will one day be fortunate to live somewhere that checks all your boxes.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:43 AM

Poquoson7, no problems. I love the waterbirds here. The water is beautiful to look at even when the whitecaps are big as long as my feet are on dry land! But the summer weather often does me in with the high humidity.

For retirement, I think many folks are looking for a lower cost of living - particularly housing costs - and access to things like good medical care. Norfolk has not struck me as being a place with a lower cost of living in the housing costs area.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:12 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,986 times
I think it makes perfect sense that Norfolk is one of the top ten places to retire. I would include Va. Beach and Norfolk as a great place to retire or live. Chesapeake Bay, great parks, fishing, crabbing, Salt water Rivers, Music Venues (amphitheatre in VB, NTelos Amphitheatre on the water with concerts in P-town). Waterside, in Norfolk, concerts on the lawn friday evening , right on the River (I know, I have heard waterside has changed, but will be re-designed). For Natives of Tidewater, and others that love the coast/water they will surely see Norfolk is a great place to live and retire.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:14 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Weather-wise, I think this place is great. I've lived in Florida - grew up there, and while I love it, the rain and the storms are not for me anymore. I could live there in the winter though. The traffic here sucks horribly, but all you have to do is go somewhere else and see how well off you are here. All in all, I think it's a pretty decent area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area