Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:13 PM

51 posts, read 82,872 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My family & I are debating on two cities a
we're currently live in NC from Ohio since Aug. My fiance has 2 job offers: one in Chesapeake VA and one in Wilmington NC. I've done my fair research on Wilmington, having mixed thoughts with such things as crime & potential job opportunities for me, the job market looks pretty bad. I haven't done a whole lot if any research on VA just yet. Were looking for a nice family community with low crime good schools & rent about 1200$ month. We have 2 kids ages 9 & 16 mnths.
His company is in Chesapeake so no more than a 35 min drive would be adequate. We are a young couple so it'd be nice to be close to fun stuff for us as well. This is a tall order I'm sure, does such a place exist with these needs/wants?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
There are many nice areas of Chesapeake....

depending on where the job offer is, I'd look into the Great Bridge, Greenbrier, and Western Branch areas of Chesapeake... I'd probably avoid the Deep Creek area/Portlock if possible.

Depending on where it is, I'd also look into some areas of Virginia Beach as well. In VB, I'd stay away from anything near Diamond Springs/Newtown Rd/Baker in particular.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:57 AM

368 posts, read 995,933 times
Wilmington is near some very awesome beaches (Carolina Beach is pretty much our favorite beach anywhere), but, personally, I would not want to live in Wilmington. We've lived in HR almost five years now, but have never been to Chesapeake. I have heard nice things about it, though. My general impression is that it's somewhat rural with a few sketchy areas, but, overall, safe and a nice place to live. It's quite near Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks, so you can get your ocean fix quite easily if you choose to settle there.

We've found that, overall, there's a lot to do in HR but you have to be willing to drive a bit to get to things. You probably won't find a whole lot to do in Chesapeake, itself, but, with VB, Norfolk, Hampton, Newport News, Yorktown, and Williamsburg nearby, you'll be able to find plenty to do within an hour's drive.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:52 PM

51 posts, read 82,872 times
Thank You so much for the input going to plan a trip very soon

Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 PM

359 posts, read 759,091 times
Wilmington looks a lot less strip mally to me. Have only seen photos, but it looks pretty. Checked the crime rates for Wilimington and they didn't seem too alarming. http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html You definitely should travel to each and get a feel for which one is more inviting.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:42 AM

I like Wilmington; however, when I have gone it has always seemed too yuppie for a beach area for me. My boyfriend wasn't allowed in a few bars for wearing a t-shirt (not a tanktop with tattoos showing or anything!), a nice pair of volcom shorts, and flip-flops. In a beach town!! In the middle of summer!! It kind of ruined what could have been a fun vacation.

If I'd live anywhere in NC, it'd probably only be the Raleigh-Durham area or possibly Charlotte. The rest of it is just "meh, it's a nice visit but don't wanna live there"

Old 03-25-2014, 04:31 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,545 times
Default Virginia Beach

We are driving down to look at VA Beach and Chesapeake as soon as the snow is gone.

I understood that VA beach had lots of jet noise (yes, the sound of freedom)....

would a realtor be able to steer us to places where the noise is not as bad?

Old 03-26-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
We are driving down to look at VA Beach and Chesapeake as soon as the snow is gone.

I understood that VA beach had lots of jet noise (yes, the sound of freedom)....

would a realtor be able to steer us to places where the noise is not as bad?
A realtor would be able to steer you to wear the jet noise isn't as bad. In my experience, it was at its worst at Birdneck Hilltop otherwise it never really bothered me.

Also, if you live in a high noise zone, if you are signing a lease, you usually have to sign the high noise zone from jets addendum to the lease as well.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:07 PM

10 posts, read 16,280 times
Jets Noise - Most of your jet noise is located in the Kellem and Ocean Lakes high school districts. You get a little bit in the Green Run area near Holland Rd as well. Most of the Salem & Tallwood area is pretty jet noise free. You do not have to worry about Jet Noise in Chesapeake.

1200 a Month - If you are looking for a single family detached home, unfortunately for chesapeake that may be hard to find in Great Bridge or Greenbriar. In south norfolk, which is part of chesapeake there are SF homes in that range. Most of the prices in that range are apartments, duplexes and town homes for most of chesapeake.

In virginia beach, your best districts for that price range for single family homes are salem, green run, princess anne, kempsville. If a town house or apartment is feasible for you, then your options really open up and you can get into a better school district/area.

I believe someone already addressed this and they are absolutely correct, the traffic on indian river during traffic hour, coming off the interstate is not a fun commute.

Good luck with your move.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:47 AM

24 posts, read 49,201 times
If you wind up in the South Norfolk area of Chesapeake, do be aware that there is a lot of noise from trains (not the commuter kind, rather the bulk movement of good kind) in the wee early hours.

I'd also like to second that the traffic around here is not fun; especially during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area