Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:10 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808subaru View Post
Good info!! I think we will need to take a drive around to some of those areas you suggested.
Also, I'm not sure how long it's been since you guys have been back here, but traffic is actually worse than 30 minutes to go 5 miles in some places! Constant road construction, horrible road conditions, everything ranks up to some of the worst traffic and roads in the nation. We will miss those who we leave behind for sure, but not those things!!

But thanks for that, it really helps to get a perspective of a local (with kids too!), esp. one that has experienced Hawai'is unique blend of culture, and can relate to our situation.
Just keep in mind that none of those areas I mentioned are waterfront. They are all about a 15-20min drive to the beach. If you want to be really near the ocean then you may want the Ocean Lakes school district by the beach. There are nice neighborhoods off of Upton drive that are reasonably priced. Traffic is just a little worse up that way, especially in the summer.

We go back almost every year to visit as most of my wife's family is still in Hawaii. I have noticed that the traffic seems to be getting worse, maybe one day if they ever get that rail running it will get better but as long as they keep building more high rises in Kakaako I don't see it improving anytime soon. I used to be in the SE-R club out there any had a pretty heavily modified sentra with an engine swap etc.... but I got tired of traffic and parking hassles every time I drove anywhere that I sold my car and got a moped with a surf rack... . Knew a few guys that autocrossed up at aloha stadium but never really got into it myself.

There is a pretty good indoor kart place in VB by lynnhaven mall if you are into that as well. Kinda over by Dave and Busters at Lynnhaven mall. I haven't been in a few years but it is pretty fun.

American Indoor Karting

I wouldn't worry about the move too much, folks are pretty nice around here. Lots of military, lots of tourists, lots of transplants, a few jerks here and there, just like HI in some ways. Instead of mokes we have rednecks but they pretty much act the same... LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 04:56 PM

56 posts, read 68,841 times
Thanks for the info goofy328, uhgrad.

goofy328- im not too concerned with my own race, i'm japanese, there arent that many of us as far as minorities are concerned.

uhgrad,

its good you guys go back to visit often, as you can see the changes that many locals might not see.
I'm curious if anyone has ever mentioned that the roads seem confusing (i know that coming form a place with hawaiian street signs, haha). Between the 64,664,264, and 464 i'm afraid were gonna get really lost for a bit until we get it all figured out haha.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info goofy328, uhgrad.

goofy328- im not too concerned with my own race, i'm japanese, there arent that many of us as far as minorities are concerned.

uhgrad,

its good you guys go back to visit often, as you can see the changes that many locals might not see.
I'm curious if anyone has ever mentioned that the roads seem confusing (i know that coming form a place with hawaiian street signs, haha). Between the 64,664,264, and 464 i'm afraid were gonna get really lost for a bit until we get it all figured out haha.
My wife is part Japanese... there honestly are not a lot of Japanese here... the biggest concentration I see is around Mitsubishi Chemical in Chesapeake and a lot of them go to that Daikichi place I was talking about.

There is the J-mart in VB by town center where you can get supplies.

J Mart Japanese Grocery, Inc.

There is a really sweet international market off of Newtown. My wife was even impressed by the selection there. Like Marukai in Ward but way bigger and includes Latino foods as well. A little grungy looking but selection is good, prices are good, and staff is pretty helpful.

Grand Mart International Foods - Virginia Beach, VA

There is also a cherry blossom festival in VB every year that is lame by Honolulu standards but it is kinda fun and the park is really pretty when all of the trees are blooming.

Cherry Blossom Festival :: VBgov.com - City of Virginia Beach

Tallwood High School also has a global studies and world languages academy where Japanese is taught if your kids are interested in pursuing that.

Virginia Beach City Public Schools :: The Global Studies and World Languages Academy - Tallwood High School

Yes lots of people say the roads are confusing. 64 East goes West for a while and vise versa it just takes a bit then you'll get it. Coming from Honolulu my wife was confused as hell driving around here. I'm from here and I even still get disoriented sometimes. haha. There is no grid and a lot of strip malls and neighborhoods look similar. Plus there is no Mauka/Makai to navigate by and she didn't know any landmarks. Be patient, it will take a bit. And try to live close to the interstate if possible since that is the major artery to get anywhere. Central VB in particular is confusing as major roads like Holland, Independence, or Princess Anne kind of meander east-west for a while then north-south for a while...

I also forgot to post my favorite tool for looking at neighborhoods and stuff.

http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer

You can look at every census block at incomes, education, demographics etc... of the residents. It even tells you what percentage of people send their kids to private schools. I think it is a great tool for helping select neighborhoods. Be sure to use the "view more maps" pulldown bar to take advantage of all the options.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:26 AM

UHgrad, thanks for all your help so far. That last link of the neighborhood breakdown is amazing, i have never seen anything like it, and should be helpful in getting a location. I have been looking for stuff like that stores, etc. I'm not concerned with hanging around many of my ethnicity, otherwise we'd have chosen L.A. or seattle I want to make this move easier on the wife, and things are going quick here on the homefront! Not sure if we can meet our deadlines that we have imposed on ourselves, but we hope to get there in 4-5 months. All that great info is much appreciated!

Old 04-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Bump update. So it looks like a few months away, we should be home shopping in the area. Question to those with children. What are magnet schools, and how does it work exactly?

Old 04-11-2014, 05:33 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Check out the VBPS website link

Old 05-17-2014, 02:12 PM

I didn't want to start a new thread. But since beach season is upon us, i think we may have found a home we like. Being that it's still a month or so away till we get there, I thought I'd ask. How is the traffic of the homes near Norfolk Ave. Does it get really congested?

Old 06-11-2014, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,317 times
Interested in an update...

Old 06-12-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
I didn't want to start a new thread. But since beach season is upon us, i think we may have found a home we like. Being that it's still a month or so away till we get there, I thought I'd ask. How is the traffic of the homes near Norfolk Ave. Does it get really congested?
Norfolk avenue where? Virginia Beach by the oceanfront? If that is the case then yes, it does get congested down there since that is a major alternate route to the beach. I've got a buddy that lives in the apartments down there and he says it isn't to bad though except on the weekends in the summer or if there are major events at the beach like fireworks or something. If you are talking about Norfolk Ave in Ocean View (Norfolk) then I am not sure.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:39 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
You mean like this? Still a long ways off obviously but has potential. Just another reason I think Kempsville is gonna be the spot over the long haul. Basically equal distance from downtown Norfolk, Greenbrier, and VB Town Center and right by the 64/264 interchange.

Dollar Tree seeks OK for a Chesapeake 'Town Center' | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Chesapeake panel backs Dollar Tree mixed-use plan | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Greenbrier's natural evolution IMHO. But if Chesapeake does have plans for the rest of the city no one is telling us anything. Perhaps I need to go over to Skyscraper City and find out what is really in the works.

I just don't get it. I guess I should consider it like I do everything else, and that is if a city is only going to build vertically in the event that they run out of room to build horizontally. A lot of it also depends on the demand that is created when more people opt to move into Chesapeake than the existing infrastructure can support; this has always been the catalyst, and always will be.

A number of mid rise developments have went up in Chesapeake since I've moved here. I just found out about a new development in Virginia Beach in what used to be an industrial park on the way to Shore drive yesterday. Hampton Roads is still increasing density, which is a good thing. Not sure if we will have the school overcrowding that is going on in places like New York, but it is a good sign.

Reminds me a lot of Atlanta back in the eighties, when they were still building out and upgrading their highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area