Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,318,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
On second thought "The Strip" is pretty well known.
It is, but what does Las Vegas have to do with Hampton Roads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 07:36 AM

867 posts, read 1,396,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
It is, but what does Las Vegas have to do with Hampton Roads?
Who said anything about Vegas?

Old 04-02-2014, 10:58 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Who said anything about Vegas?
I think the implication is that, outside of virginia beach, if you say the strip folks will think of the las vegas strip.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:34 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
It just goes to show that you can't please everyone. I look at it as a positive that we don't have known "scenes" or infamous areas around here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Life would be a lot easier if they saw the positive wherever they live. There are places I do not necessarily care for. But I can't waste energy talking about them.
I agree with both of you. Sure, Virginia Beach has negatives but I don't know too many places that don't. It has a lot of positives too. I've lived in a lot of cities. I've learned that it really is a waste of energy to do nothing but complain about where I live. Find the positives and focus on them. It's so much easier to enjoy myself and enjoy my city.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I think the implication is that, outside of virginia beach, if you say the strip folks will think of the las vegas strip.
Did you not get my implication?

Old 04-02-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
No doubt there are cool areas, no doubt both the strip and ghent are coming up, and I hope VB town center, waterside, and this new norfolk arts district thrive as well... I just like that it is lowkey for the most part.
Yes, I know what you mean, I wouldn't really want to live in a wide-open amusement park type city either.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:47 AM

120 posts, read 210,301 times
I will admit, I complained quite a bit while living in the 757 area. It wasn't "urban" enough for me, I hated the over dependency on cars (lack of public transportation), the whole "7 cities" aspect, etc. Honestly, HR just wasn't for me. I don't think that's a blight on HR, just my own personal preference. But instead of continuing to complain, I decided to find a more flexible job and move to another city that fits my desires. I did exactly that and can say I am happier as a result. So, if you don't have so many ties here in HR, move. Find another job, find a new place, whatever you have to do. Why stay if you're unhappy? I realize this is a markedly different situation for people with kids and what not...

Old 04-07-2014, 07:01 PM

69 posts, read 149,017 times
By all means, move and decrease our population. I'm not sure about the country music comment as I'm local to the area and don't listen to country. I've never noticed in all my years here that we have a lot of country music. Of course we aren't NYC. People don't live here b/c they want to be in NY. NYC is a wonderful place though...my other fav city. I will tell you that as much as I love NYC, it is not like LA. I was expecting a NYC type of feel there. They do not compare...no offense to LA..it is cool in its own right, but it is no NY.

I'm not huge on VB but it is home. I certainly have my complaints, but I don't share yours. In fact, my biggest issue is having too many transient people in the area ...aka the military...not because they are military; rather, because it takes away from a certain sense of community and longevity. I'd prefer people like it here and stay here vs moving in and out or in your case not liking it at all. In terms of class, are you saying we are too upper or too lower class for you?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:58 PM

359 posts, read 758,702 times
I was just in Northern Virginia, and D.C./Baltimore for the first time in years. The traffic near Potomac Mills and Quantico was maniacal; the gridlock intense and depleting. How many car accidents must there be? Why must everyone be in a rush? One comes away with the impression that those people must have enormous egos to disregard everyone else's safety (ergo, the insane drivers - perhaps that depends on the personal politics of these drivers - that's a loaded comment for my friend Coco).

I liked the variety of stores, but some just appeared to be "super" strip malls, what we have here, just magnified and maybe a bit higher quality. Starving, I felt like dropping in to Chipotle. The line: maybe 30 people long and out the door. Nearly impossible to make a left-hand turn to get out of the plaza. You get the idea.

Pondering the above, I still know my permanent home is not here, but the contrast allowed me to better appreciate what Tidewater offers.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,709 times
Quote:
Please don't say you're one of those sheltered New Englanders from Maine/Vermont.

Hey man!!! No fair! Try and live in VT with no one to teach you how to survive...LOL. I lived there 30 years, then SoCal, then VA Beach...NOW settled in Greenville SC. Huff. I could be bored surrounded by people or happy alone. In my experience, it's all on me! ...and even here not EVERYONE listens to Country Music...lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area