Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 AM

69 posts, read 177,073 times

Advertisements

I am 90% sure that I will be moving to Williamsburg this summer to take a one year position at the college. My wife and I would like to rent a home within 20 minutes of the college, but we have two cats and a dog and not all landlords are fond of pets. Are there any suggestions for local realtors or property managers to contact or websites to browse. I've checked out craigslist and zillow, but haven't had much luck there. We'd hope to move in mid-July to the beginning of August. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 04:39 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,207,604 times
Do a Google search using the terms "property management Williamsburg VA." You'll get hits for property management firms. I pulled this one randomly from the hits I got:

WILLIAMSBURG PROPERTY MANAGEMENT, INC.

Click on current house listings & current townhouse/condo listings. I'm sure other firms will have similar webpages.
Good luck in your search.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:27 AM

Thanks, I've looked at many of the places I can find online via google and through the search function on this site. Seems like we'll have to stay in North Newport News to fit our budget, but maybe something will open up in Williamsburg in the next few months that fits us. How is the North Newport News area in general? Would the commute to W&M be bad. Google says 25ish minutes but I assume that's with no traffic.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:57 AM

368 posts, read 993,798 times
The commute from northern Newport News to Williamsburg shouldn't be bad at all. I would recommend staying off 64 and taking Warwick Blvd. (Rte 60) as far up as you can. The traffic shouldn't be bad and you'll avoid a stand-still in the event of an accident (which happens often) on 64.

As far as northern Newport News: I would recommend Lee Hall over Denbigh (Lee Hall is closer to W'burg and is, I think, preferable to Denbigh in many ways). I've known people who've lived in Lee Hall and liked it very much. It's quiet and parts of it are almost rural.

Best of luck with the job and move.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:21 AM

30 posts, read 44,890 times
What is your budget? There are quite a lot of condos in the Williamsburg area as well as single family homes that are reasonable due to the student population. I would encourage you to keep looking in the Williamsburg area, it's a great little town and there is a good social community among people who are associated with the college.

Newport News is distinctly its own city and I personally would not want to commute in and out of Williamsburg in the summer traffic on 64. It can come to a complete and total standstill sometimes although within Williamsburg itself there is little traffic. You could take backroads but I think you'd have to be on 64 at least some of the time.

We lived in Williamsburg when I was a grad student and found a reasonable rental; the market right now for real estate there is depressed compared to previous years as in many parts of the country, although it seems to be improving some. Also, if they find out you are a visiting professor or other similar college employee they might work with you pet wise with an acceptable deposit.

Try posting a message or viewing the messages here:
http://www.wmoffcampus.com/message-b...ts/boardid/612

There are lots of rentals available through property management companies, I would echo what others have said, google for a list of them. Then maybe call some of them and let them know what your price range is, and have them do the work for you.

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsspike View Post
Newport News is distinctly its own city and I personally would not want to commute in and out of Williamsburg in the summer traffic on 64. It can come to a complete and total standstill sometimes although within Williamsburg itself there is little traffic. You could take backroads but I think you'd have to be on 64 at least some of the time.
Beane, I always recommend living in the city where you'll be working, but if you choose to live in northern Newport News, as I said in my earlier post, you can take Rte. 60--it'll take you most of the way to William and Mary without ever having to get on 64. It would be an easy commute.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Newp...m1!1b1!3e0!5i1

Last edited by artistatheart; 04-15-2014 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistatheart View Post
Beane, I always recommend living in the city where you'll be working, but if you choose to live in northern Newport News, as I said in my earlier post, you can take Rte. 60--it'll take you most of the way to William and Mary without ever having to get on 64. It would be an easy commute.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Newp...m1!1b1!3e0!5i1

Yeah, ideally I would love to live in Williamsburg. The difference in rent for similar places seems to be in the $200-$500 range per month between Williamsburg and Newport News. I'll have to talk over with my wife about how much we think we can afford. I've been told that I can potentially find places via the faculty that are on sabbatical for a year and rent out their houses.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beane View Post
I've been told that I can potentially find places via the faculty that are on sabbatical for a year and rent out their houses.
Oh, that would be awesome--I hope it works out for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area