U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 AM

1,441 posts, read 845,481 times

Advertisements

I know this nostalgia can get boring, & self-indulgent but..
I was remembering the upstairs knife store.. I think it was there all thru the 90s. They a killer selection.. kitchen knives, utility knives, swords, etc. I remember young guys geekin out over the samurai swords.

Also close by, anybody remember the stuffed animal store ? It was upstairs, near the escalators, circa mid & late 80s. Their layout was cool; they had all the toys organized by environment. One section of polar animals, section of jungle stuffed animals, etc. That place was literally & figuratively a zoo around Christmas time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 09:33 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,736,564 times
Heck I remember when the mall was not even there.....was nothing but a farmers field......used to be a lake on the property....fished there when I was a kid...that was before Lynnhaven Pkwy was built and all you had was Lynnhaven Road

Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 PM

134 posts, read 276,535 times
I was born in VB in 85 and spent the first 25 years of my life there, in the 90's and early 00's lynnhaven mall was a huge part of life for me I used to always go to Aladdin's castle and eat at Luca pizza right next to it, also another memory I have of the mall and I'm not sure if this was accurate or not but it seems I remember seeing movies in the small UA theatre upstairs but I also remember there being another theatre on the lower level closer to the part of the mall where dicks sporting goods is now, anyone remember that?

I also thought lynnhaven was cooler when it used to have the giant water fountain in the center and it's sad that they got rid of Aladdin's to put in a Johnny Rockets.

On Another note I liked the old Pembroke Mall too when it had the Annabelle's (Now Kellys tavern) the Chinese buffet, the pizza place and the arcade next door not to mention the brown tile floors, I also missed the 8 screen regal cinemas at the other end of the mall with the even bigger arcade right across from it.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 PM

135 posts, read 300,636 times
I remember when visiting here in 93' the mall had a movie theater near where the merry-go-round was. And a Chinese restaurant.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan757vb View Post
..I remember seeing movies in the small UA theatre upstairs but I also remember there being another theatre on the lower level closer to the part of the mall where dicks sporting goods is now, anyone remember that?

I also thought lynnhaven was cooler when it used to have the giant water fountain in the center..
Hey brother.. good recollection.
Yeah there were both upstairs & downstairs theaters back in the 80s & 90s. The downstairs theaters were near Dick's (which was Montgomery Wards back then). You remember the upstairs theaters used to run psychedelic oil patterns across the screens before the features (?) That was kinda' unique.

I'm w/you, I preferred the '80s brown tiles at both Pembroke & Lynnhaven. I don't think 'updating' either mall's look necessarily improved them.. I understand structural upgrades, but I think a mall's future has more to do with the stores/kiosks that they rent space to, and their clientele.. No matter how nice & contemporary the tiles look, once a mall starts to go ghetto, it's done.. just ask Military Circle. (peace)

Last edited by Babe_Ruth; 07-16-2014 at 06:26 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 AM

124 posts, read 132,880 times
I don't know how far back you are trying to go but for one that used to go to Lynnhaven Mall when my family and I would take a vacation to Hampton Roads.... I remember era of the mall when it had Lord & Taylors, Hecht's, Montgomery Ward, Dillard's and Penneys. I think Leggett just left the mall (or that side of Virginia all together). BUT I also remember going to Phar-Mor at the shopping center behind the mall! LOL!

Old 07-24-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
I don't know how far back you are trying to go but... I remember era of the mall when it had Lord & Taylors, Hecht's, Montgomery Ward, Dillard's and Penneys. I think Leggett just left the mall (or that side of Virginia all together). BUT I also remember going to Phar-Mor.. LOL!
Gvls, hi..
Based on your line-up, guessing you were visiting in the late '90s (?)

Lord & Taylor's & Wards are gone, Penneys is still standing.
Going back into my own childhood recollection, I think Penneys has been @ Lynnhaven since the day the mall first opened [early 80s]?
Phar-Mor @ Lynnhaven North folded up, but not sure when (I've been in&out of Hampton Roads). That place was beat; and it seemed like no matter how many ppl would be in line, they would never open up a second register. /good times/

Old 07-25-2014, 05:12 AM

124 posts, read 132,880 times
Yeah! It was the 90s. My first trip to Va Beach was summer 94 so that was it! By that time I think the mall had gotten rid of the center court fountain (in which I was pissed about) because I had seen pictures of it in brochures but I do remember Aladdin's Castle!!! Now also can anyone tell me if Dillard's was if in the JCPenney wing of the mall. I remember seeing lion statues and plants in front of a store on that side of the mall.

My dad and his g/f just came back from the beach a few days ago and he told me that the mall is totally different now than what it was back in the 90s!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:38 AM

2,810 posts, read 2,803,799 times
I always went to Phar-Mor when I lived in VB to get my contact lens stuff when I was in my 20's. I also frequented the AMC movies that were outside the mall there over near Phar-Mor. What happened to the AMC theatre?

Old 07-31-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
I also frequented the AMC movies that were outside the mall there over near Phar-Mor. What happened to the AMC theatre?
CB,
The old AMC 8 is gone.

After AMC 8 left, the building was used as an indoor go-kart track.. I think the building is empty now, but is still standing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area