U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 02:05 PM

182 posts, read 273,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Not a traditional music retailer, but..
Around 1993, anyone remember there was an accessible recording studio. They provided a popular track, and u would record the vocals over the instrumental. Then they'd sell u the cassette of your recording. It didn't last long, but was a cool concept.. right on the early crest of American karaoke..

That was in Lynnhaven, no (?)
I remember this. It opened in 1988 and was on the second floor across from the movie theaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 10:59 PM

1,495 posts, read 901,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAEER View Post
I remember this. It opened in 1988 and was on the second floor across from the movie theaters.
I had forgotten which part of the mall it was in, thanks.
I'm intrigued,.. how do u have such a specific recollection of it's opening date (?)

Do u remember, around that same era, late 8os, the upstairs theaters used to run a psychedelic pattern of dyed oils floating in water before all their movies/previews started. It was unique. Peace

Old 11-07-2017, 08:09 AM

182 posts, read 273,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I had forgotten which part of the mall it was in, thanks.
I'm intrigued,.. how do u have such a specific recollection of it's opening date (?)

Do u remember, around that same era, late 8os, the upstairs theaters used to run a psychedelic pattern of dyed oils floating in water before all their movies/previews started. It was unique. Peace
Definitely remember the upstairs theater. I believe it was a United Artists theater at the time.

I recall the karaoke place because some friends and I made a recording there in the summer of '88. Spent a lot of time at Lynnhaven then (I was 16).

Old 11-07-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAEER View Post
Spent a lot of time at Lynnhaven then (I was 16).
Amen.. this thread has been a nostalgic pleasure for me. Knowing how much time I spent there, and others were also enjoying the same things back in the day.

Something else I remember about the old, upstairs theaters.. seems antiquated now. Was the Will Rogers fundraising before movies. They'd run a preview, outlining Will Rogers' (medical) charity work. And then an usher would walk thru the aisles w/a flashlight & a bucket collecting donations.

Any one else remember there was also a Dragon's Lair video game out in the lobby. It was a really cutting edge game, that had a crowd around it for a long time..

Old 01-24-2018, 05:13 PM

Toys R Us staggered some thru the 2017 Christmas season. They're slated to close 20% of their retail stores.
I didn't see Lynnhaven on their list of impending closures.

Think it would be a shame if Lynnhaven lost that Toys R Us; I think it's Lynnhaven's only remaining toy outlet. They used to have a Children's Palace @ Lynnhaven North, & they may have had a K&K Toys inside, back in the 8os (I can't recollect)..
There also used to be a stuffed animal store on the old 2nd floor. The animals were separated by environs. It was unique.

Here Are the Stores Toys 'R' Us Is Closing | Fortune

Old 10-29-2018, 12:40 AM

7 posts, read 1,094 times
Default Spinakers Restaurant ?

There was a restaurant at the main entrance across from the theaters called Spinnakers, had an upstairs & downstairs bar, with 7 levels, top table called the crows nest... general manager named Lori.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:19 PM

10,970 posts, read 4,495,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OS1 Chaos View Post
There was a restaurant at the main entrance across from the theaters called Spinnakers, had an upstairs & downstairs bar, with 7 levels, top table called the crows nest... general manager named Lori.
Correct, right there where the carousel was. I remember the bread came in little flower pots.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Spinnakers..Correct, right there where the carousel was. I remember the bread came in little flower pots.
There was one of those glass elevators at the mall's main entrance. I remember people riding it up & down to Spinnakers.
Real early Lynnhaven Mall also had a fountain/shallow pool near the first level entrance. There was an abstract statue there too (Enigma)..

Old 10-29-2018, 06:21 PM

Default Curious...

...why the memory test on Lynnhaven Mall?
I'm trying to recall the carousel you mentioned, although the rest rings a bell... there was a laser tag place next to the theater for a short time as well, lower level, later occupied by a computer store of some sort. I thought my memory was good, but as you describe it I'm struggling to picture the place inside.

I was stationed there for the better part of 10 years, both at Dam Neck & Oceana... now Spinnakers on the other hand I know all too well, the GM was my first wife lol. Resided in Virginia Beach from 1982-1991.

So what's up with Lynnhaven Mall? Has the place been renovated or raised?

Anyhow, it was a random google search on the mall that lead to the thread that brought me to this new2me site. I like these old school forums over the social media sites out there, I don't have a Facebook, nor Twitter etc, and I read somewhere that BBS's have made a comeback! An app is required to emulate the landline connection to the old boards, had a Commodore 64 back then, with a smoke'n 300bps modem !

Don't know if you were online in the 80's but back in the day it was referred to as "playing on the computer" lol, anyhow I found several BBS's I was registered on listed in this link...

804 BBS List

Awesome thread, thanks for participating in my reality today.

Peace.
C

Old 10-29-2018, 06:33 PM

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+Cerebra...ts/3smr7TfEfhx

Flower pot bread lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area