U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:04 AM

1,495 posts, read 901,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS1 Chaos View Post
I thought my memory was good, but as you describe it I'm struggling to picture the place inside.
Resided in Virginia Beach from 1982-1991.

So what's up with Lynnhaven Mall? Has the place been renovated or raised
Peace.
C
C, Yeah.. if u remember '80s Lynnhaven Mall, it's basically unrecognizable today. I was in there about 6 months ago.. the second story was eliminated, facade was redone (no more glass mirror exterior). No more carousel.. Montgomery Ward left several years ago.
The surrounding strip malls have lost long time tenants (Toys R Us is vacant, the 17th St surf shop @ Lynnhaven North folded after about 30 years). There are good strong tenants like Barnes and Noble, Dick's sporting goods.. but the only original store (that I recollect) is JC Penney. It's been there since the halcyon '80s.

Peace to you also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 09:55 PM

7 posts, read 1,094 times
Babe_Ruth, thanks for the update!
Also thanks for inspiring my curiosity on America’s malls, most are catching the same fate as Lynnhaven and the mall here in downtown San Diego where I live.
What's happening with Horton Plaza? Now we know - The San Diego Union-Tribune

I moved around a lot as a kid so I started checking up on the malls I used to hang out at with friends. In 1977 my family resided in Shawnee KS and they had a brand new mall built two years prior. Interestingly enough I discovered it’s still thriving and is in the top 20 of a corporation that owns 63 malls across the nation. I was glad to hear that as I found a YouTube video documentary on what was then the largest mall in the country.
https://youtu.be/2RkxhXQnVSw

When I looked into it today I found an article about that Kansas mall called Oak Park that also delves into the dying mall issue the nation is facing…
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busi...220309295.html

Also discovered in my newfound mall search is a site that covers the fate of the mall.
DeadMalls.com

So yeah, look what you started lol.

It appears as though the mall concept is evolving into a place that’s more Millennial friendly, focusing on fitness, restaurants and family recreation.

I’m still looking into this mall evolution, so looks like this thread may evolve too eh?

Peace

C

Old 12-12-2018, 12:11 AM

Brief clip of Lynnhaven's ribbon-cutting (1981). Something that stands out to me, are the winter coats shoppers are wearing.. I think Lynnhaven opened in Aug 1981. Ribbon-cutting must've been an early walk-around for the public, before a general grand opening.. maybe early months of 81 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syiHfS42KIc

Old 12-12-2018, 12:38 AM

7 posts, read 1,094 times
Yowzah! That’s freak’n priceless \m/
Awesome share just put a smile on my face this evening...
...dunno, you could be right about the jackets folks are wear’n, although I went metal detecting on Dam Neck beach one weekend in bare feet and shorts, only to have it snow the following day.

August of ‘81 I was here inSANe Diego for boot camp, then over to Dam Neck lol
Anyhow, this made my night.

Thanks Ruth.

PS, caught me in mid stroll while out-N-about in the city.

Last edited by OS1 Chaos; 12-12-2018 at 01:32 AM..

Old 02-06-2019, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 9 times
My first time at Lynnhaven Mall was seeing Stand By Me in the upper theater in 1986 when we first moved there and I was going to Plaza Jr. High. It was a Friday or Saturday night, and when we walked out and into the food court I was amazed at all the sects and cliques that were posted in different parts of the food court: Punks, grits, surfer/skaters, and some others. That's how it was back then. I ended up joining the Skater faction in time.

A friend and I always used to play the Guantlet video game in the lower theater a lot prior to seeing a movie. Elf and Warrior were the best to pick.

A typical night out at Lynnhaven Mall for me and a friend was scanning Spencers, looking at Swiss Swatches in Leggets, pet store, video games, food court, Radio Shack, and ending with a movie. Oh yeah, and squeezing into 17th St surf shop in between there somewhere.

Off topic, but Raven Skateboards in Timberlake shopping center is a good memory.

Old Yesterday, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillridge ct View Post
My first time at Lynnhaven Mall..1986..It was a Friday or Saturday night, and when we walked out and into the food court I was amazed at all the sects and cliques that were posted in different parts of the food court: Punks, grits, surfer/skaters, and some others. That's how it was back then. I ended up joining the Skater faction in time.

Oh yeah, and squeezing into 17th St surf shop in between there somewhere.
Off topic, but Raven Skateboards in Timberlake shopping center is a good memory.
Hillridge, Great post; lot of good 8os Lynnhaven insights I relate to.
When I started moving around the country as an adult, people in other places were surprisingly unfamiliar with the term 'grit'. They knew what grits were, but called 'em heshers. Made me wonder if 'grit' was unique to Tidewater, or the southeast in general (?)

I also remember some of the obscure and short-lived skate & surf shops circa the same era as Raven, do u remember Piranha ?.. basically a surf shop in a residential house. If I remember right in the blocks around 21st & 22nd, few blocks off the Oceanfront.. I think I remember a Raven shirt, that had the word: TRASHMORE shaped into Trashmore's half-pipe (?) Also remember the WW skate logos (Windsor Woods' pitchforks). That skate park influenced a lot of Va Beach kids.
A pointless memory I have related to Lynnhaven area food amenities: That large McDonald's just a few blocks from Plaza Jr.. it was packed in the 8os. I noticed it recently went under. It looked like it never upgraded, or remodeled. Empty, but still standing as of Feb. '19.. an abandoned monument to Lynnhaven's halcyon 80s. /peace

Last edited by Babe_Ruth; Yesterday at 11:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area