U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:12 PM

1,442 posts, read 846,247 times

Advertisements

Any memories of an earlier Lynnhaven Mall (?)
I remember the inside (upstairs & downstairs) theaters.. I think it was the upstair screens that used to run oil patterns across the screen before the movies would start.. and back in the '80s they had a Dragon's Lair machine that got a lot of use..

I also remember the brown tile look, and water in the center (downstairs) court..
The pet store used to be a music store back in the early 90s too if I'm remembering right.. but I can't remember if it was a chain, or mom&pop (?) Montgomery Ward before Dicks & Barnes&Noble.. Children's Palace, A&N, & Rose's @ Lynnhaven North.. Alladin's Castle & the neighboring pizza place (Luca), etc..

If anyone has some other spots, or memories, help me remember.. peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 06:18 AM

Something else I remember from the 2nd floor of Lynnhaven (besides the psychedelic movie screens), was the sports store. It was right off the escalator, early-mid '90s. At the time VaTech football wasn't good yet; so it was a lot of UVA gear (and popular teams @ the time, Miami Hurricanes, UNLV, Michigan, etc.). It was a cool store, & then I think there was another shop that replaced it in the late 90s w/a lot of NFL jerseys..
Used to be an A&W upstairs to eat at in the '90s, not sure of it's fate (?)

Old 05-19-2014, 07:46 AM

2,810 posts, read 2,805,108 times
Yes man, I remember, I used to go all the time for free to the UA movies upstairs (as our friend from High school worked there for us to see free movies). I also played many video games at Aladdin's castle back in the day. I also used to go to Mother's Music back in the day, but I think that was Pembroke Mall in the 80's!!

Old 05-19-2014, 09:24 AM

180 posts, read 264,213 times
There was a Picadilly Cafeteria there in the '80s that was quite popular for a time. They usually had lines to get in for dinner.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:21 AM

359 posts, read 625,684 times
Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. There are only about three Aladdin's Castles left, as far as I know. So sad. I still have a few tokens. Dragon's Lair, huh? Sounds like growing up in the '80s here was pretty sweet. Google '80s mall pics sometime, good stuff.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post
Sounds like growing up in the '80s here was pretty sweet. Google '80s mall pics sometime, good stuff.
D,
I spent a good portion of my childhood (& early adulthood) in VB.. I only speak for myself, but VB seemed like a solid city for raising kids & spending a childhood. In the 80s there was a cool skater & surfer culture, very little violent crime, city already had a couple hundred thousand bodies so there was a lot of things to see & do..
Speaking of 80s mall images, there was a Charles Perry' statue inside the mall I remember, it was called Enigma (there are photos online), you can see some of the old lower level of the mall.

To an earlier post, I had forgotten about Piccadilly's (good recollection). I ate there some in the mid 90s, it was lower level right next to a mall entrance, no (?) Don't know when it folded.. And Spinnaker's was another early 90s Lynnhaven restaurant.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:20 AM

2,810 posts, read 2,805,108 times
Yes, I love these memories, and yes, I grew up with the skater/surfer scene in VB. I miss the beach scene like I remember. I used to go to Pendleton when parking was free, and Croatan to ride the waves. I don't find the beach scene where I live as I remember. I live on the coast , but the beach scene here is not like it was back in VB in the 90's. I even worked a city park skate ramp for 5 years! Yes, it was very cool there. I want to move back, but I hear it has changed, but I don't believe that.
Back on the topic, I was amazed when I returned to Lynnhaven Mall recently. My wife and I watched a movie at the new theater right next to the mall. I was a bit sad to see how the mall had changed. It was very expanded and modern, but I missed the old feel.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
VB in the 90's.. I was a bit sad to see how the mall had changed. It was very expanded and modern, but I missed the old feel.
Aerial shot of Lynnhaven.. I'm guessing circa early '90s.; pre parking garage..
The MontgomeryWard (@ the far left of the photo) is where Dick's & BarnesandNoble are located now. The entrance to old lower theaters was off to the right of the MontgomeryWard (2nd entrance down ?). I see the old ChiChi's restaurant out in the parking lot too.. Thalheimer's, etc..

(the shot is large, u may have to expand to see all the details/signs..)
http://instapinch.com/blog/wp-conten...haven-mall.jpg

Last edited by Babe_Ruth; 05-21-2014 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-21-2014, 12:02 PM

1,673 posts, read 5,526,009 times
Interesting photo. So it appears Thalhimers is now JC Penney and the other store is now Dillard's maybe? What is the name of the other store in the photo? It almost looks like Leggetts.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Interesting photo.. it appears Thalhimers is now JC Penney and the other store is now Dillard's maybe? What is the name of the other store in the photo?.. looks like Leggetts.
CityD,
good eye.. yeah it's Leggetts @ the bottom (I forgot about them.)
In the linked photo, JCPenney is at the top right corner of the mall, facing Lynnhaven Parkway.. it's still in that spot as far as I know. Honest to God, I think JCPenney is one of the only original stores left (?) Seems like Chik-fil-A has been there since day one too, anyone verify or add to the list of originals left..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area