Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 11:33 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times

Advertisements

The Chesapeake Expressway, at least up to the very southernmost part where there are stop lights, should be at least 60. It just seems to drag on and on at 55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:20 PM

56 posts, read 68,846 times
Quick question from a peninsula driver (whos lived here less than a year). Why is it when I'm in VAB area, the speed limits are 55 nearly everywhere, but people seem to be going 70+? Do the cops not ticket southside?

Old 04-12-2015, 11:00 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808subaru View Post
Quick question from a peninsula driver (whos lived here less than a year). Why is it when I'm in VAB area, the speed limits are 55 nearly everywhere, but people seem to be going 70+? Do the cops not ticket southside?
Nope no tickets. It's an unwritten agreement

Old 04-12-2015, 11:25 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
It is because everyone is doing it. Now if everyone is doing 70 in a 55 and you're doing 85, then you're going to get caught and you're going down in flames.

As long as you don't pass anyone, you're generally good, regardless of the limit. Maybe one day VDOT will put cameras in place and we'll all get tickets for reckless driving.

Try doing 40 in 25 though. Get caught everytime.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:39 AM

8 posts, read 7,144 times
All freeways in the region can handle an increase in speed. Now, during rush hour, those speeds probably wouldn't be reached, but that isn't an excuse to have a speed limit that you can find on just about any small, rural road in Virginia (55 mph). 55 mph is what Virginia Beach Blvd could handle. I've wondered why we have such slow moving highways when even larger cities have same layout type highways with a higher speed limit. Here's my list:

I-264- 60 mph MINIMUM, Downtown tunnel should be 45 or 55.
I-64- 65 mph, 70 mph after LaSalle going towards Richmond.
I-664- 70 mph, MMMBT should remain 60 or be bumped to 65.
I-564 (a straight shot from 64 to NOB) should be 65 or 70. It's currently a speed trap for Norfolk to get extra cash when they're running low.

And please tell me why the HOV reversible lanes are 65? Seeing as how a lot of people drive 70 on 64 AND the HOV lanes, the speed limit makes no sense. That should have been 70 mph from the start--high barriers and no points of entrance (no merging).

The speed limit on the highway is what you can typically drive on any 45 mph road in Virginia Beach without worrying about cops (all cops are different), so why are we so complacent with a speed limit lower than a farm road?

The Cities don't want to let go of their constant and reliable money making machines, though. It's almost free money. Let troopers patrol the highways and then get a cut of the money (or all of it; I won't assume where the ENTIRE fine goes).

Any thoughts?

Old 06-11-2015, 10:48 AM

Default It's a game...

Quote:
Be careful. I got a ticket for 70 in a 55 because I passed an unmarked police car ("no, how would I be able to tell you're a cop, officer?" --I don't understand how he thinks he was driving an obvious cop car). Anyway...troopers don't pull until 15 over (generally) all over the region. I've never seen someone pass a cop at OVER 70 and NOT get a ticket. But I always set my cruise at 70 and go from there.

If you think about it, it's probably good the speed limit is so low because cops feel weird about enforcing such a low speed limit. But if it became 60 or 65, I bet they would crack down a little more.

Also, you would have to confirm with an older resident, but my driving teacher from years ago said the toll road (264 before it was an interstate) had a speed limit of 70 mph before it was redesignated in the 90's.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:34 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachst_ View Post
All freeways in the region can handle an increase in speed. Now, during rush hour, those speeds probably wouldn't be reached, but that isn't an excuse to have a speed limit that you can find on just about any small, rural road in Virginia (55 mph). 55 mph is what Virginia Beach Blvd could handle. I've wondered why we have such slow moving highways when even larger cities have same layout type highways with a higher speed limit. Here's my list:

I-264- 60 mph MINIMUM, Downtown tunnel should be 45 or 55.
I-64- 65 mph, 70 mph after LaSalle going towards Richmond.
I-664- 70 mph, MMMBT should remain 60 or be bumped to 65.
I-564 (a straight shot from 64 to NOB) should be 65 or 70. It's currently a speed trap for Norfolk to get extra cash when they're running low.

And please tell me why the HOV reversible lanes are 65? Seeing as how a lot of people drive 70 on 64 AND the HOV lanes, the speed limit makes no sense. That should have been 70 mph from the start--high barriers and no points of entrance (no merging).

The speed limit on the highway is what you can typically drive on any 45 mph road in Virginia Beach without worrying about cops (all cops are different), so why are we so complacent with a speed limit lower than a farm road?

The Cities don't want to let go of their constant and reliable money making machines, though. It's almost free money. Let troopers patrol the highways and then get a cut of the money (or all of it; I won't assume where the ENTIRE fine goes).

Any thoughts?
Yes. We should have automated ticketing. No State Highway Patrol just send me my ticket in the mail.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Yes. We should have automated ticketing. No State Highway Patrol just send me my ticket in the mail.
But speed cameras are not clear like red light cameras are. What is speeding? 5 over is speeding, technically. A lot of people know you can drive 10 over on the highway without getting a ticket. Will the camera change that? Removing the human element from an issue with so many variables is not the right route to take. That's my opinion. I hate seeing troopers because people act stupid and slam on their brakes like a trooper will pull them over for 5 over...regardless, they're the better option.

I would possibly agree with you if our country had speed limits that aren't decided on based upon how much money the
City can make off of it. The speed limit should be exactly that. A speed that 85% of people minimum would follow, instead of 5%.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:07 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:

Also, you would have to confirm with an older resident, but my driving teacher from years ago said the toll road (264 before it was an interstate) had a speed limit of 70 mph before it was redesignated in the 90's.
That must have been waaaaay back, since it was always 55 throughout the 80s and 90s, even when Reagan raised the national speed limit from 55 to 65.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:18 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Be careful. I got a ticket for 70 in a 55 because I passed an unmarked police car ("no, how would I be able to tell you're a cop, officer?" --I don't understand how he thinks he was driving an obvious cop car). Anyway...troopers don't pull until 15 over (generally) all over the region. I've never seen someone pass a cop at OVER 70 and NOT get a ticket. But I always set my cruise at 70 and go from there.

If you think about it, it's probably good the speed limit is so low because cops feel weird about enforcing such a low speed limit. But if it became 60 or 65, I bet they would crack down a little more.

Are you taking about 44? I'd be surprised if that were correct. I know it wasn't 70 when I was a kid and there were tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area