Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 914 times

Advertisements

My husband and I plan to come
To the Hampton Roads area next summer for the Jr Olympics. We love history, beautiful scenery (will drive around for hours and hours exploring). We aren't big into shopping, large cities, etc. can anyone suggest areas within 45 min - 1 hr of the Hampton Roads area? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:17 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Jamestown, Va. Williamsburg, Va. , The Lost Colony, Outer banks, Manteo, NC

Old 08-25-2014, 10:39 AM

136 posts, read 443,762 times
Williamsburg, definitely. Don't think you can actually 'stay' in Jamestown, but it's right next to Williamsburg. And, be careful. There are parts of Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Jamestown that take different day passes. It can get confusing.

Last edited by JeffConn; 08-25-2014 at 10:51 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 12:43 PM

368 posts, read 996,015 times
You can stay right in the Yorktown historic area. There's a motel facing the York River (on Yorktown Beach) and you can walk to the historic sites.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:58 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Williamsburg will most likely offer the biggest variety of places to stay, and it is a beautiful destination.

I see that the Junior Olympics will be having events in Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach. Given that info, I think I would consider staying in Hampton/Newport News. Traffic going from the Southside (Norfolk/Virginia Beach) to the Peninsula (Hampton/Newport News) can be horrific depending on time of day and time of year. It could easily take you 2 hours or more to get from Virginia Beach to Williamsburg.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:54 AM

368 posts, read 996,015 times
I also forgot to mention, there's a shuttle that runs from Yorktown to the Williamsburg historic sites. I think it travels along the Colonial Parkway (which is a not-to-miss). Overall, Williamsburg (the city) will have way more to do than tiny historic Yorktown, but staying there for an overnight or two could be fun.

https://www.historicjamestowne.org/n...11_shuttle.php

Williamsburg/Yorktown Hotels, Duke of York Hotel on Beach

Old 08-26-2014, 02:03 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
Yorktown! Beautiful spot with several dining options, river cruises, shopping, a beach, and the battlefield where the British surrendered to the French during the Revolutionary War.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:26 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,837 times
If you really want to immerse yourself in history and money is no object book a stay at one of the colonial houses in Colonial Williamsburg. While staying there you will hear the fife and drums go by in the afternoons, be able to stroll from your doorstep back in time, have a yard for the kids to play in. Yes, they're expensive. But they give you a very unique experience. There are 26 guest houses, some as small as one room within a tavern and others as large as 16 rooms — all located within the Historic Area. Furnished with authentic period reproductions and antiques, each Colonial House has a unique history and appeal.

http://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/...al-houses.ashx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area