Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 01:09 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times

Advertisements

Looking for some bike trails/routes around Hampton Roads area as far as Williamsburg. Would prefer places that are not in wooded areas to avoid ticks.

I heard there is a nice place in Williamsburg but that's all I have heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 06:12 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
I like this area, near wooded areas but not biking through them:

Dismal Swamp Canal Trail

Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Looking for some bike trails/routes around Hampton Roads area as far as Williamsburg. Would prefer places that are not in wooded areas to avoid ticks.

I heard there is a nice place in Williamsburg but that's all I have heard.
The one in williamsburg is probably the colonial parkway. That is gonna be your best bet IMO. Each city maintains a trail map on their webpage, you can do a search to find them. Here is VB for instance.

http://www.vbgov.com/government/depa...trails-map.pdf

or Norfolk

http://www.norfolk.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1387

I think the elizabeth river trail in norfolk is really nice and it is mostly urban so you don't have to worry about ticks. In VB first landing park is my favorite but that is in the woods. Almost all of Damn Neck blvd has a separate bike path you can ride down as well.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:12 AM

95 posts, read 189,078 times
If you go passed the Jamestowne Museum, you can ride the Island Road one way, and mostly level loop around the Jamestown Island. Open google maps, then satellite image, type in bicycling, and it will mark all the trails for you. Solid green for trails, green dots for bike friendly roads, solid blue for dedicated lanes, and solid red for dirt trails.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:50 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,688 times
The VA Capital Trail starts at Jamestown and will eventually end in Richmond VA a distance of 55 miles one way. This is one of the best trails to ride in the mid atlantic area. A true dedicated paved trail. ( hence no traffic to battle) At this point multiple sections are complete and you can ride approx 13 miles one way into Charles City County. You can ride further on Rt 5 and pick up the next section of the trail near the Charles City Courthouse to extend your ride. Completion of the trail is scheduled for 2015.
Attached Thumbnails
Bike Trails-virginia-capital-trail-bridge.jpg   Bike Trails-virginia-capital-trail.jpg  

Old 09-09-2014, 08:50 AM

22 posts, read 45,173 times
If you have a mountain bike or another bike that can handle rocks/sand, False Cape State Park is a great place for biking. You enter via the Back Bay Wildlife Refuge.

In Virginia Beach, First Landing State Park has some great trails.

I also went biking once in the Great Dismal Swamp in Chesapeake. There's a flat paved path that runs through the forest, about 8 miles one way.

EDIT: Oops, I just read that you want to avoid wooded areas. Well, the three I listed are all wooded, but I still recommend them if you can get over that.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:25 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
The VA Capital Trail starts at Jamestown and will eventually end in Richmond VA a distance of 55 miles one way. This is one of the best trails to ride in the mid atlantic area. A true dedicated paved trail. ( hence no traffic to battle) At this point multiple sections are complete and you can ride approx 13 miles one way into Charles City County. You can ride further on Rt 5 and pick up the next section of the trail near the Charles City Courthouse to extend your ride. Completion of the trail is scheduled for 2015.
UPDATE SEPT 15
You can now ride almost 27 miles from Jamestown to Charles City Courthouse one way. There are a few areas still under construction but its passable. So a 54 mile round trip ride..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area