Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,043,163 times

Advertisements

I think the reason why Norfolk has a bad rep is not because everyone on here seriously thinks this way, but the media has played it out for most of us to think this way. Every night when I watch channel 10 and/or 13 news they always show at least one shooting in Norfolk, some kind of robbery and now Newport News has started to make it on there. There is no doubt that there are dangerous areas in both of these cities, but living in Williamsburg, what I love is how I never see Williamsburg on there unless there is nothing else going on in one of these areas. I haved lived here for almost 6 years and I can count maybe 6 times (or 6 different stories that were considered criminal stories) that Williamsburg has made it on the news for. But, it you take a good look at Williamsburg we have crime prone areas where crime happens a lot more than anyone seems to realize. I just think that the media plays a huge role in why most people think the way that they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 AM

29 posts, read 144,990 times
I have posted about Norfolk City Schools before- but just want to say that they get a bad rap. They are definitely an "urban schoold system," as schools are classified, but they are award-winning, diversified and offer a much broader range of opportunities and programs for their students than some of the other local schools.
Remember: an education is what you make it.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 13,029 times
It's not that bad it's pretty nice really. It's just a big city I guess a lot of people don't like that. The biggest downfall for me is that PETA headquarters is located in Norfolk - Lol but that wouldn't stop me from moving there.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 AM

58 posts, read 210,665 times
Norfolk Schools are not all bad. There are some wonderful teachers teaching there... That being said, there are just differences to what they have to face there in regards to state testing. Even for schools that are considered to be good...there is a yearly struggle to meet accreditation....which unfortunately can change the quality of the teaching. I think what the pp said is correct. Norfolk is not a bad area to live in...and I agree with the other person who said that it is a good urban school district, but sometimes urban school districts come with some extra problems that other school districts don't have...which often causes people to move out of the area. There are quite a few teachers who teach in Norfolk but live in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake...and there is a reason for that. I actually loved my time teaching in Norfolk because it was extremely rewarding, but I really wouldn't want my daughter going to school there. It was one of the best experiences of my life, but unfortunately...kids who do not fall in to the " no child left behind" category...actually get swept aside because there are so many kids who need more attention.

Anyhow, I do like certain Norfolk areas ..and it would have been much more affordable to buy there, but I also wanted my daughter to have the best education FOR HER once she reaches school age.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:19 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,471,286 times
Enjoyed reading everyone's posts! My dad was stationed at what's now SURFLANT (we lived there, too) and my sister and I walked to Meadowbrook Elementary School (in the 1960's) I have some really fond memories. There was an old dry goods store in the shopping center on Hampton Blvd(?) there is a Be-Lo store there, now, I think! Before that, sister and I lived with a couple over off Campostella Road while my dad was at sea. I STILL think Norfolk's a neat place to visit!

Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 PM

29 posts, read 144,990 times
Yea! for Norfolk!!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 8,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
I think the reason why Norfolk has a bad rep is not because everyone on here seriously thinks this way, but the media has played it out for most of us to think this way. Every night when I watch channel 10 and/or 13 news they always show at least one shooting in Norfolk, some kind of robbery and now Newport News has started to make it on there. There is no doubt that there are dangerous areas in both of these cities, but living in Williamsburg, what I love is how I never see Williamsburg on there unless there is nothing else going on in one of these areas. I haved lived here for almost 6 years and I can count maybe 6 times (or 6 different stories that were considered criminal stories) that Williamsburg has made it on the news for. But, it you take a good look at Williamsburg we have crime prone areas where crime happens a lot more than anyone seems to realize. I just think that the media plays a huge role in why most people think the way that they do.
I live in Norfolk. I have my whole life. We get a bad rap from things in the past, but in reality, we are no worse than VB. Downtown Norfolk is SAFER than VBs oceanfront. February 2008; Downtown had some cars broken into and a couple of muggings, much better than what is portrayed in downtown. The VB Oceanfront during that same period had many assaults, multiple drug violations, a whole slew of illegal weapon charges, and multiple robberies.

I think its interesting how the news in this area covers all of that up. You always hear about the Oceanfront being family friendly and Downtown being this horrible place. Norfolk has police Downtown. They keep everything safe. There are cops that you dont even know are there (plain clothes). VB on the other hand, hardly has enough cops. During tourist season, they take cops from other areas in the city to fill in the oceanfront gaps. The cops they do have seem to spend more time harassing people than actually fighting real crime.

Recently there was a woman attacked down by town center. In the news, it wasn't at Town Center, it was in the Pembroke area of the city. Funny how if its bad it takes a different name. The city of Virginia Beach also makes it difficult to track crime at town center. They have divided that area into so many zones, you miss alot. The few blocks of town center for February had a couple of assaults. Not bad. The "Pembroke Area" (which is made up of very odd sections) indicates a hit-and-run in front of town center. There was also a car theft on columbus (not part of their town center district?) I also have to wonder, because although the news reported an assault at Pembroke mall, it doesn't show up on the reports.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:30 PM

20 posts, read 108,752 times
Hello all!
My hubby and I are planning a move to Norfolk, VA in about two years. I am reading these posts and wondering where the good areas are in Norfolk (safety-wise). I would love to be able to walk in my neighborhood without fear of getting jumped by someone.
I will be working in a major hospital system and my husband is a truck driver. All of our children are grown with children of their own. We currently live in Memphis, TN and want out!!!
It sounds like you guys have a lot to be thankful for...Memphis was listed as the top most dangerous city to live in by the FBI just last year....
We are both Christian people that are hoping to have horses someday. We were looking at Richmond, but were told by some people in Ashland, VA that it would be cheaper to find a place between Norfolk and Richmond...since I want to work for a major hospital I thought Norfolk may work a bit better...
Any information you can give us would be highly appreciated.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:32 PM

16 posts, read 71,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmulligan View Post
I have posted about Norfolk City Schools before- but just want to say that they get a bad rap. They are definitely an "urban schoold system," as schools are classified, but they are award-winning, diversified and offer a much broader range of opportunities and programs for their students than some of the other local schools.
Remember: an education is what you make it.
I will say, from what I heard Norfolk schools aren’t the place to be if you’re in special education. You’ll slip down the cracks.
Williamsburg schools recognized my brainpower and mainstreamed me when I was in kindergarten.
I have many smart disabled friends that grew up in Norfolk. It makes me sad and angry when I hear about their schooling.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 9,138 times
Default What about Lafayette?

we live in VA BCH and are preparing to make an offer on a house on Racine. it's close to lafayette. there are some very cool homes in that area and i don't see anyone mentioning it...am i missing something?

please let me know if you know anything about racine ave, lafayette park, and/or lindenwood elementary school

thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area