Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2014, 02:56 PM

6 posts, read 12,860 times

Advertisements

Hi, Im considering to buy a home in Newport News, Va but Im not familiar with the assigned schools:
Oliver C. Greenwood Elementary
J.M. Dozier Middle
Woodside High

Do you have any positive or negative comments on these schools? Im new to this area and I would like to know in the case I need to move and rent my property if the schools are good or not.

Thank you for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 09:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denysgill View Post
Hi, Im considering to buy a home in Newport News, Va but Im not familiar with the assigned schools:
Oliver C. Greenwood Elementary
J.M. Dozier Middle
Woodside High

Do you have any positive or negative comments on these schools? Im new to this area and I would like to know in the case I need to move and rent my property if the schools are good or not.

Thank you for your comments.
I have family that graduated from Woodside HS. They feel they got a solid education out the deal. In honesty, NNPS does not have a great reputation overall but I think some schools in NNPS can give a solid education.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:10 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
My child is a junior at Woodside -- and started there as a freshman. We are in Newport News because of my spouse's job and live in employer-provided housing. We are zoned for Warwick. Though we learned of my spouse's move long after the lottery drawing to get into the "magnet" program at Woodside, she got into the music program. Being in the band was a blessing since band practice starts well before the start of the school year. It gave her group to be a part of and made the transition much easier. Woodside's student numbers are far past its planned capacity.

Though I would not say Woodside is a bad school, I also would not consider it a good school. It is mediocre. She has some excellent teachers. She's had some bad teachers and some so-so teachers. Dealing with the administration is another story. I would give them a D minus.

The school bus system in NN gets an F. When the bus is a no show (substitute driver who is over an hour late or wildly off course and won't be at yoru child's bus stop that day), the school administration could care less. Calling to complain is a waste of time as it changes nothing.

NNPS does not have a great reputation because its is NOT a great school system. For the first two years, she played on a sports team. It was eye opening merely to go to other school districts and see their high schools from the outside. Go on the websites of high schools in other districts in York County & Williamsburg --- I am assuming you need to be on the Peninsula. Just going on the websites of other high schools in other school districts shows a major difference. Woodside can't even get events put on the calender.

Woodside has plenty of students with no desire to be in school. My daughter avoids classes with the general population if at all possible. The AP courses are demanding. Sadlly, she's had some less than stellar AP teachers which makes a hard course even harder.

My impression is that Menchville is the best high school in NN. Booker T. Washington is the best middle school.

If you can avoid both Hampton & NN school systems, I would advise doing so. I have two older children who graduated elsewhere, so this is not our first go-round with high schools.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area