Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 02:13 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times

Advertisements

These Californians are waiting for some snow too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 04:30 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
These Californians are waiting for some snow too!
Not sure about snow this week but you guys will get your taste of cold weather for sure. I don't think we'll see 30 on Thursday. For those that aren't used to that kind of cold (California and Hawaii), make sure you get your outdoor pipes prepped etc...

Old 01-06-2015, 04:35 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808subaru View Post
Thanks to all who have replied, I will definitely look into these options. It has been difficult finding what would satisfy my healthy options, and as UHGrad knows, these places are plentiful back in the islands of Hawaii. Here, not so much. But I will try all the suggestions you all have made, and other than that, we LOVE settling in here in VA!! These hawaiians are looking for their first taste of snow, hopefully soon!!
Yeah I remember "Down to Earth" and "Kokua Market" when I was at UH, they had those little pay by the pound delis and stuff. That is definitely one of the things we miss about Hawaii along with the fusion restaurants and karaoke bars. A lot more chains here, especially on the peninsula... I just cook for myself more and it saves money in the long run. Grocery tax is only about 2.5% while prepared foods is about 10% - 12% here depending on locality... you do the math on eating out a lot. Plus, we pay about 30% less for my groceries than we used to in HNL and that goes a long ways with a family. Glad you like it so far, I think you made a good call with York County... some of the best schools in the state and safe. My wife is still amazed that we can leave stuff in the front yard here and it is still there in the morning... LOL.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:46 AM

56 posts, read 68,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Yeah I remember "Down to Earth" and "Kokua Market" when I was at UH, they had those little pay by the pound delis and stuff. That is definitely one of the things we miss about Hawaii along with the fusion restaurants and karaoke bars. A lot more chains here, especially on the peninsula... I just cook for myself more and it saves money in the long run. Grocery tax is only about 2.5% while prepared foods is about 10% - 12% here depending on locality... you do the math on eating out a lot. Plus, we pay about 30% less for my groceries than we used to in HNL and that goes a long ways with a family. Glad you like it so far, I think you made a good call with York County... some of the best schools in the state and safe. My wife is still amazed that we can leave stuff in the front yard here and it is still there in the morning... LOL.
Yeah that is EXACTLY what i was looking for. Down to earth made to order foods and whatever kokua market is named now. UHgrad you were lucky the university area had some really great fresh choices nearby, and kaimuki was the next town over and has some really great options as well. It looks like we wont be able to return home to visit for another year maybe. But as you were saying, we do a lot of home cooking to get what "comfort food" we cannot buy here. But overall its been good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area